Zephyr - A Metamask-style browser extension for Zcash

Hi all,

Wanted to give another quick update to the project.

We’re moving at a bit of a reduced tempo as I’m currently out for summer vacation.

I am happy to share that we have rolled out a good working foundation for a communication pipeline from the Rust WASM engine, to the JS extension, to our lightweight proxy and on to the lightwalletd server.

In addition we’ve had great input from community members on both the UX and UI front. Again, it’s amazing to see the support we are getting on the project.

We’ll start to spin up again later in the month and look forward to continuing.

6 Likes

@Shawn we spoke last night briefly about getting connected with the chrome extension team in case they are looking for another developer to join. Feel free to let me know who I should get in touch with.

2 Likes

You are in the right place :wink:

CC @mistfpga @fireice_uk , badboy was on the ZOMG whitepaper/review call last night and mentioned that they have browser extension experience, so I figured I would put them in touch with you to see if they could help.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the offer.

@fireice_uk is probably best to talk to first, but we would love to check out your stuff. :slight_smile:

How much security extension experience do you have? plz pm me about that separately.

2 Likes

Thanks @Shawn will PM you @mistfpga

2 Likes

Hi All,

It has been a while since our last update, I have a lot of new information for you. (shawn, is there a better place for me to put updates? maybe i should start a new thread?)

I am happy to announce that we have a new developer on the team @little.slingshot . LS comes from a strong webdev background and brings a breadth of knowledge in this area to the team. We are very happy to have him on board, helping us to make this project a success.

We have had to rebuild a lot of the stuff we were doing, with LS’ help we now have a skeleton build with proof of concept code working in chromium and FF.

We have a skeleton working prototype, using React and WASM.

• The main advantage of this is it allows us to quickly build for chromium based browsers or firefox based browsers.
  • We have our development and test environments setup and are producing debug and release builds.
  • We have our test servers and network setup.
  • Our UI is just mockup and ripped straight from lightwalletd (plz see screenshots)

Yet to do for our next milestone

• UI frames.
  • Finish the test plan incorporating the new stuff we are doing.
  • Detail feature list and solicit community feedback.
  • Clean up bugs.

Stuff that wasn’t on our roadmap but we need to implement or test against.

• Support for ZDA’s should they become more defined, and space for them to be added if not.
  • AutoShielding.
  • Halo 2 and testnet 2.
  • Unified addresses.

FireIce is working on the development plan, and as he is doing that, I am redoing the test plan to fit around it and incorporating the new features we want to support.

We have some screenshots of this working as you can see it is very rough and just a proof of concept. Because we are implementing a minimum viable secure product we would like to reach out and get community feedback as soon as we have something a little bit more functional.

Screenshots in the next post.

6 Likes

wow this is amazing. Is there a public repo where I could check the code and maybe try running a build?

3 Likes

at the moment the repo isnt public because we have a few bugs.

I have sent you a pm though, @fireice_uk has been trying to contact you. :slight_smile:

Screen shots in details tags.

This is a butchered version of lightwallet assets at the moment. we are currently going over UI. Suggestions welcome.

The extension loaded in Firefox and Chromium on Ubuntu LTS

The gold coins are a placeholder icon for the app.

Chromium Syncing after restoring a wallet and doing a rescan. (birthday = 0)

Firefox and Chromium both connected to mainnet

Showing receive and balances work

z_working_ff|666x500

Firefox sending

these are from different instances, look at the transaction history for this address above

Because these are on mainnet you can look up the transactions here.

6 Likes

Eager to see how this is going. How close could this be to an npm-installable package? If regular web developers could easily plugin wallet functionality to their frontends, it would be HUGE!

@fireice_uk, @little.slingshot, & Zcash Community, the @ZcashGrants Committee has voted to terminate this grant due to inactivity and/or a lack of responsiveness. This grant will be removed from the old grants platform and you will need to submit any future ZCG grant requests via Submittable.

2 Likes

can you build this @hanh ?

What happened exactly? We had a meeting last week where it was agreed the project will proceed.

1 Like

The ZCG committee spoke to @little.slingshot on Friday, March 17. On that call, we told him that we would give the Zephyr team one week (until Friday, March 24) to send us a plan with updated milestones, timelines, etc. to get this project back on track. We were clear that if we did not receive an update by that date, we would cancel the grant. @little.slingshot agreed and said he would get everything to us by that deadline. A week passed, and he did not provide us an updated plan or even send us a message asking for more time.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I’d like to make a small clarification and take some blame too :man_facepalming:

First I’d like to thank the committee members for taking the time with me,
inviting to the last committee hearing and for being so patient
with our project along the journey :pray:

Indeed a few days ago, the committee members were kind enough
request from myself revised milestones for the project. I have acknowledged
the deadline.

This meeting happened during night time for @fireice_uk timezone, so
he wasn’t able to attend.

After the meeting I was supposed to communicated to FI all the deadlines
and terms. And whilst I communicated to FI the gist of the meeting, I didn’t communicate
properly communicate the details.

I incorrectly assumed that FI somehow is aware of the details from other
communication channels.

Eventually my mistakes were:

• I told FI very vaguely that we will need to submit updated timelines, milestones and do KYC.
  • I didn’t mention any deadlines to FI.
  • We simply went back to work on debugging the code, and I failed to submit the required document by the deadline
  • Nobody from ZCG contacted me until now regarding termination (which is again my fault as they have been very understandng and patient)

Hope this helps shed some light on my mistakes!
:cry:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have time to work on this at this moment.