ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee

Thank you @tromer, you are the person with the best understanding of ZIP 1014 and how it evolved so your insights here will be priceless.

2 Likes

Update: The first meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, October 20 from 1:00pm Pacific Time (8:00pm UTC) to 2:30pm Pacific Time (9:30pm UTC). Zoom meeting details will be provided early next week. The meeting will be live streamed and recorded for later viewing. Community members are welcome to join to listen in, ask questions, and contribute ideas.

Committee Members :
ECC: Zooko Wilcox and David Campbell
ZF: Jack Gavigan and Alex Bornstein
ZOMG: ML and Hudson Jameson
ZOMG Candidate: wobbzz
Community: Eran Tromer and dontbeevil

Looking forward to an interesting and constructive discussion!

3 Likes

The ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee Community Call will be happening on Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021. Participants will include members of the ElectricCoinCo, ZcashFoundation, ZOMG and the Zcash community.

Registration details: :point_down:

https://zfnd-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_B0LrFVPaQYaMuXXV_iDbqQ

4 Likes

Zoom is sort of spyware. Jitsi is a good alternative.

5 Likes

Here is the post by @tromer referenced on the community call, regarding ZOMG funding multiple other entities & the spirit of ZIP1014 & the idea of “Major Grants”

4 Likes

The second meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, November 10 from 1:00pm Pacific Time (21:00 UTC) to 2:30pm Pacific Time (22:30 UTC). Zoom meeting details will be provided by ZF. The meeting will be live streamed and recorded for later viewing.

One of the reoccurring themes that came up during the first discussion was whether or not the relationship between ZF and ZOMG is too constricting. As such, we will use the second meeting as an opportunity to explore how ZOMG can operate with more autonomy. More specifically, we’ll discuss the pros and cons to amending ZIP 1014 to allow ZOMG a discretionary budget (subject to 501(c)3 restrictions) that allows committee members to allocate financial resources in limited circumstances in order to make itself more effective.

Community members are welcome to join to listen in, ask questions, and contribute ideas.

7 Likes

No surprise, you were leading into that pretty heavily on the last talk

Hi @Autotunafish,

It shouldn’t be a “surprise” because the name of the committee is the “ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee” and its clearly defined purpose is to “work towards a solution to improve ZOMG’s structure by addressing the issues raised and amending ZIP 1014 accordingly.”

Please let me know if you have any constructive feedback on the first meeting. Also, if you’d like to join as a panelist for the second meeting to contribute your thoughts, we’d be more than happy to include you.

Thanks!

6 Likes

I’m talking about you leading heavily into the idea of the solution you describe working towards being bifurcation which is not wholly implied by the purpose. And thank you for the invite but no, I will observe and then offer any thoughts I may have afterwards.

Below please find the registration form for the ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee Call #2 that takes place later today >>>

https://zfnd-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_b0mjJu18QP-zogi80byS4A

TIME:
21:00-22:30 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
1 – 2:30 P.M. Pacific Time (PT)
2 – 3:30 P.M. Mountain Time (MT)
4 - 5:30 P.M. Eastern Time (ET)

4 Likes

I couldn’t attend the call! @aquietinvestor you can remove me from the attendee list. I’ll do best when it comes to writing not spontaneous speaking.

2 Likes

Also I would like to thank @aquietinvestor for his leadership in building the review committee, navigating the path forward!! I couldn’t stress enough.

8 Likes

the ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee call is now up! Check it out here👇

8 Likes

Some real meaningful housekeeping taking place here. Forum members should take time to watch this.

7 Likes

Having caught up on the tail of the meeting (I had to leave early), I’d like to chime in and add my support to the general consensus that emerged.

There were some unsettled nuances and parameters, so looking forward to @aquietinvestor’s drafting of concrete amendment language.

4 Likes

ICYMI: Improvement to an zcash improvement proposal is coming …

3 Likes

Also appreciate @zooko, DC, @ml_sudo for helping make discussions productive.

3 Likes

Update: I am in the process of finalizing the draft amendment to ZIP 1014 discussed in the second ZOMG-ZIP 1014 Independent Review Committee meeting. As such, I want to propose a timeline that conforms to the Revised Schedule for ZOMG Elections published by the Zcash Foundation (ZF) last week.

• Dec 1: I will post a draft of the proposed ZIP 1014 Amendment to the Zcash Community Forum.

• Dec 1 - Dec 10: There will be a 10-day comment period where community members are invited to ask questions, provide feedback, and propose alternative ideas.

• Dec 15: Following the comment period, I will incorporate the community’s feedback into a final version of the ZIP 1014 Amendment, which will be posted to the forum.

• Dec 20: ZF will open a Helios poll with the Zcash Community Advisory Panel (ZCAP) to (1) select five candidates to serve on the next ZOMG Committee and (2) vote in favor or against (or abstain from) the ZIP 1014 Amendment.

• Dec 31: The Helios poll will close.

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thanks!

13 Likes

I have posted the draft amendment to ZIP 1014 to a new thread linked below. Please submit your comments and feedback in that thread by December 10. Thanks!

ZIP 1014-1: Proposed Amendment to the “Major Grants (MG Slice)” Section

5 Likes