All Equihash miners crash rig with 6 GPU, but 5 works fine

sigh You guys were all right. It is a power issue. I am a stubborn son of a bitch.

Thanks for making me see the light… I will be fixing this.

2 Likes

It’s hard to accept something when you’re frustrated and it can appear to be something it’s not. It’s all part of troubleshooting. I’m an extremely technical person but I still learn almost every day. Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

oh wow it was such an interesting read and i was ready to get some popcorn… and then I saw the ending…

1 Like

Use bminer you will get a higher hashrate with Equihash.

I used a 1000 watt EVGA Platinum for 4 1080’s at stock power levels and it turned off after 3 days so I assumed it was overloaded. It wouldn’t turn back on until it was unplugged for quite awhile. So I replaced it with a 1200 watt Corsair and it has been fine so far. I have a 850 watt Seasonic that wouldn’t even run 3 1080’s by itself. It also shut off after a couple of days. Both power supplies are running fine now with 1 less card on them. I also though have a 850 watt EVGA that is running 3 1080’s and a GS4400/Z270 setup. So some power supplies are either overrated or vary in the power they can put out.

The moral of the story is subtract at least 20% off the power rating of the power supply when comparing it to the TDP of the cards you are using for what you will be drawing off it for 24/7 usage.

Hi guys,

This was a really interesting convo. I actually need to get a few things confirmed. I have 6 EVGA 1070 and two EVGA 1070 ti in a rig. Currently the MB, the tis and one 1070 are powered by an EVGA 850 G2 (PSU1) and the other 5 1070s are powered by another EVGA 850 G2 (PSU2). The board is the Asus Prime Z270, Processor is Pentium G4400, memory is Corsair Vengeance and storage is Sandisk 240 SSD.

I had to RMA the 1070 on PSU1 and just got it back. So, with just the board and the tis I’ve measure that the PSU1 at 300w with my Kill a Watt and PSU2 at 540. On whattomine.com I’ve put my cards and they say Equihash will consume 960w, which I assume is just the GPUs.

I wanted to consolidate in one PSU and purchased an EVGA 1200w P2. Per this conversation, I would like to confirm that I probably will have crashes on peaks if I go through with this?

Thanks!

I don’t think 1200 will be enough. I think you would need a 1600 to put them all on one power supply. I am surprised you could run 5 1070’s with one 850 watt power supply and it not shut off after awhile.

Hey guys, the problem was fixed by powering the risers on a different rail on the PSU and driving the power limit down a few percentiles. My power meter shows a 1000 W draw, with all 6 cards mining wonderfully.

1 Like