Allow “special exception” to the Orchard codebase for the Monero Project

If this is not the place to have this conversation, please point me in the right direction.

Monero should not be granted any “special exception” to the codebase. The licensing should be standard and non restrictive.

3 Likes

Searched for “license”

1 Like

I’d strongly support everything produced via funding from the dev fund to be MIT licensed.

18 Likes

Right. Why this licensing decision was reached without any form of consulting with the community makes me seriously question my loyalty to Zcash.

4 Likes

You joined less than hour ago!

3 Likes

And your point is?

sure, that’s not the point of this discussion. Halo was announced long time ago, there was enough time given to chat about that specifically, there were arguments towards MIT licensed but in the end, I didn’t see huge community outrage because they were fine or happy with it.

1 Like

Point is, you just joined the forum & questioning things when you had 1+ year to make a point until this post.

2 Likes

Well, anyone who supports that view (MIT licensed) would clearly be in approval of granting this, or any other exception to the current license. So put me in the “yes” camp to granting any exception.

4 Likes

No exceptions for monero. its all MIT licensed or nothing.

7 Likes

that size was small :slight_smile:

This thread could go on and on. We already did an informal poll. Sentiment is clear. It’s up to ECC (they are the ones most attacked throughout all these years, i would be surprised if they grant this special exception vs waiting couple of years to make it MIT license).

2 Likes

There is another moral problem. Everyone here should be aware that the two coins have historically developed their own aura. The developers of one of the coins weighed the risks, systematically built their product brick by brick, avoided the dark side. In another coin, most people neglected all possible moral principles, putting their own rights at the forefront, not responsibility. And today, such a gift as technology is just an irresponsible step towards encouraging bad guys in the darknet. Don’t confuse nobility with irresponsibility, please. We have a key in our hands that can be lost. And every Zcash investor can at one point turn into someone who has financed very bad things.

3 Likes

You seem to be implying that Zec can’t or won’t be used for things with which you morally disagree. Can shielded Zec not be used to purchase items on the darknet? Can shielded Zec not be be used to support planned parenthood or an abortion provider? Can shielded Zec not not be used to purchase weaponry? What do you know about shielded Zec transactions that makes you so sure it has never been used for “very bad things?”

1 Like

Information should be free. Lets bring privacy to the world. I voted yes :owl:

5 Likes

I’m hinting that if someone love the technology so much, then let he admit it and fund it by buying Zcash. Don’t blame those who have already done it, calling their foundation a stupid idea. These are two completely different approaches. “I want to be on my side, but use your product” or “I want to be part of your idea.” Very different things.

3 Likes

Let’s cook Coca-Cola at home.

[quote=“Allen, post:50, topic:41392”]
It would be a slap in the face to those who have put their blood, sweat, and tears into this project to have software funded by community consent handed over to people who have no respect for the community that produced it
[/quote] Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Just want to point out that I’m part of this community and I very much want this technology shared around the world, regardless of differences of opinions. I get some folks are totally unreasonable. People will be people. I don’t see this as a slap in the face, rather an investment into the future, which I hope will have better privacy. If that costs time and money and maybe some unreasonable mobs, it is worth it. Thanks for listening. :heart:

2 Likes

This whole discussion should be tabled for a WHILE. Instead of celebrating recent Zcash wins, we’re arguing whether or not we should let the biggest Zcash trolls on the planet adopt zcash’s tech before Zcash has even had a chance to adopt it itself. Let’s let ourselves enjoy what’s happening right now and what’s right around the corner before arguing until the end of time what is the most perfect and angelic thing to do.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this discussion was started exactly at this time on purpose to waste energy and brain power on defending certain Zcash decisions instead of just keeping our heads down and letting Zcash finish its upgrade for goodness sake.

I make a motion to table this discussion so that it doesn’t take up the brain space of those working the hardest push Zcash forward.

17 Likes