AMD Hardware GPU Questions

I’m getting 212hs from a “stock” RX480 4GB Sapphire OC. (Stock, as in standard, not messed about with bios. That’s coming in the same as my R9 280x cards but the major difference is that the RX480 cards are about half the cost to run in terms of electricity. Sapphire OC is great for mining.

You mean, not modded bios?

Exactly. Never touched. Never looked at, never flashed, never updated, not even tickled with a fluffy stick.

1 Like

yes, i mean stock as in no bios mod, and no overclock … just as they came out of the box… they are mining at 200-205 sol/s and i was wondering if i can increase that number

Just for fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love your new heater,maybe there is a market for these free heating machines that also give some profit😂

1 Like

Not sure whats prettier, the Xmas tree, or the GPU rig. Umm after thought, "Should’ve got partner a GPU rig for Christmas. Anyone want to swap for a pearl necklace?

:joy::joy::joy::joy: we need cheering up after zcash crash to fame

Guys, Anyone have the original ROM for Sapphire RX470 4gb OC (samsung Chip), i recklesly mod the bios using 1625 strap w/o bakup the original ROM, and its really unstable…:sweat_smile:

there are some roms at VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp but i do not know if for samsung and do not know if they working (i saw size 256 not 512 kb)

question: I wonder - if you modded bios (save bios with atiflash, edit memory timigs with polaris bios editor, program with atiflash) and you revert changes back without original bios (save modded bios, edit timings back from similar rom, program) would you get the same bios as original and would relive driver work with it?

I can get the MSI RX 470 GAMING X 8G and the Sapphire Radeon RX 470 NITRO+ OC 8GB for about the same price, I have the Sapphire cards and they have a power consumption of about 175W. I also have an RX 480 Nitro+ OC which takes about 200W out of the wall. I noticed in the MSI specs that their version of the RX 470 only takes 110W. That is a very significant difference. Can someone tell me if the difference in hash rate will also be dramatically lower? Even if it’s slightly lower, it can still be worth it for such a bug difference in wattage.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-470-GAMING-X-8G.html#hero-specification

Try calculating it for multiple machines to get a fair comparison. For example, if 9 rigs with RX480 OC are the equivalent of 10 rigs RX470 from a hash rate standpoint.

Then figure out the power difference, and the price difference for buying the rigs. Calculate the price of the power for the 9 systems vs. 10 systems and how much money you would save using the more efficient RX470’s.

Then figure out if the price savings on power is worth the price of buying one extra system.

I did that calculation for RX480 vs. Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, and the Fury came out way ahead, even taking into account the higher efficiency of the RX480.

if 9 rigs with RX480 OC are the equivalent of 10 rigs RX470

From the power consumption standpoint, a 10 rig Sapphire is equivalent to about 16 rig MSI [(10*175)/110]. so the difference is very big in terms of power. The only thing missing from my calculations is the projected S/s. I know I’m getting about 265-270 today from the Sapphire cards and my question is, if someone has any experience with the MSI cards and can share how much S/s he’s getting, in order for me reach an informed decision.

oh, I understand what you are asking now. I stopped ordering RX470’s because I like the RX480’s better. I have some Sapphire RX470’s, and two MSI RX480-8G, but no MSI RX470. Sorry, can’t help.

Can you just order one, try it, and if you don’t like it, send it back?

I think you are better going with the R9 Fury. From my blog post:
It turned out to be closer than I thought! These systems both cost about the same to build. The R9 Fury system requires a second power supply, which adds about $60 more than RX480 build.

For long term operation, the efficiency is pretty close. Measuring it as H/s/Watts (bigger is better)

AMD R9 Fury efficiency – 1.52

AMD RX480 efficiency – 1.57

It would seem at first glance that future systems should be built with the RX480’s…but not so fast. Say we build four R9 Fury systems, for 10,000 H/s, at a price of about $9,200. This should earn us about $1000/month in Zcash.

The equivalent number of RX480 systems is a little more than 6 systems, for about $13,800. That’s $4,600 more for the same amount of hashing power. Over the course of a year, the efficiency of the RX480 systems would save us about $400 of electricity.

By building RX480 systems as Zcash miners, it would cost $4,600 more and save us $400. That’s not worth it, at all.

I have 12 MSI RX480 gaming x 4gb cards. They range from 265-295 sol/s all stock. Each 6 card system is 955 watts at the wall. Using current 1.5 optiminer.

The power consumption of the R9 Fury is triple that of the MSI RX470. My electricity is very expensive, I have to factor that in, thanks anyway, I definitely got an answer to my question.

1 Like

I would love to find out if that’s the actual power you get from the MSI RX470. Sounds too good to be true. You may want to just order one first and test it.

Not sure that’s right. Furys pull 275 watts…no way the RX 470 is 90 watts. I agree the Furys are the way to go with Zcash. Keep in mind (if you plan multiple rigs) that the MOBO slots matter. I don’t want to waste those precious slots on GPUs that only hash in the 200s. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck on your rig.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to do just that and I’ll update the community once I
do.