Articles about Privacy and Security

2 Likes

Excellent article. Everyone should at least skim over it - the two pictures really help. Good find - I saw a similar article but it was too dry.

Whist crypto is used in this example the rule applies to everything.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Id just like to highlight this quote from the article

Nice article. well written. thanks for the link.

2 Likes
1 Like

I know they cannot do this in Europe, but it is an issue when entering the USA.

The law as I understand in the USA (from case law) is if the machine is physically switched off they cannot ask you to turn it on. If it is in sleep/standby they can get you to turn it on and log into the device. - This is for PC’s. So imagine that law will get extended to phones, shit my phone uses full drive encryption, and boots to two different OS’s depending if you have a dongle in it or not.

In the UK we have an even worse law. If you have something encrypted and don’t/cant decrypt it, that is a crime, like max 10 year type crime. I am not sure if the law got repealed (I don’t think it did) but people started sending encrypted hdds to the home secretary, then grassing him up to the police saying he had illegal content on those drives. (it was more symbolic than anything)

Here is one of the best resources on the web that goes into great detail on lots and lots of topics, so you can find what is right for you and your privacy model

From the EFF who are trustworthy and very good. The EFF got started by overly heavy handed FBI agents raiding a BBS called “the well” run by Steve Jackson (the bloke who did the Fighting Fantasy RPG books with Ian Livingstone [runs Eidos interactive] )

Stay safe!

1 Like
1 Like

Good blog post from Peter Van Valkenburgh last year: “Your Secret Right to Cash”

Just resurfaced that while searching through my Instapaper archive.

2 Likes

It is a strong argument against Libra and ripple too. (unless ripple has morphed into a crypto and I missed it)

1 Like

1 Like