Can I use notes for copyright law, without revealing my name?

I know I should probably know this. but give this usecase can someone please advise me if this is possible and how I would go about it.

I write something for someone, for example an article.
I am not a paid employee or under any form of contract.
This mean in most places I automatically get the copyright to the work.

I want to sign this right over to someone else without revealing my full name.

My Idea so far is

• write the text, and sign it with a zcash privkey
  • send a nominal amount of zec to the person who I want to have copyright with the note field being the hash of the text.

The other party can now prove that the person who wrote the document signed it with a private key (this can include the copyright change of ownership), the same private key signs the transaction and note with the hash of the signed message, giving ownership over.

Now, no one knows what text was sent, therefore providing data privacy. Should a copyright challenge appear either myself or the other party can prove our involvement and who the copyright holder is. because of the strong cryptography.

The new copyright holder can prove they own the copyrighted works to anyone without revealing my identity and when they got that copyright because it will be a transaction on the blockchain.

Am I making this overly complicated?
would this even work?
Can anyone think of a better way of doing this?

1 Like

Maybe send a zmemo giving them all rights etc & on the copyrighted thing put -
ā€˜@copyright saplingaddressā€™

1 Like

I would definitely ask a lawyer about this before relying on it. Iā€™m not sure how contract law handles pseudonymous or anonymous counterparties, if it does at all. Typically a contract requires your legal identity, no? How would you be held liable if, say, it turned out that you didnā€™t actually own the copyright in the first place?

As someone who occasionally deals with contracts like these, there is no way in hell that I would accept an anonymous counterparty unless their identity was held in escrow by a trusted neutral institution or something.

2 Likes

Really good point. I couldnā€™t be. It would seem a better way would. I forgot you need that ā€œhonest and trueā€ bit. I guess the otherway would be to use pgp and put that has in the blockchain, but that doesnā€™t really get you much extra, especially at the expense of blockchain bloat.

There would be no real way that the person who has had the copyright signed over to them could prove that they didnā€™t send themselves the transaction.

ah well. nice idea. useless in practice.

1 Like

Itā€™s a neat idea, and potentially thereā€™s a way to make it work! Keeping noodling on it idly and see if you come up with something.

1 Like