Changing Zcashs Emission Curve

would you mind not shitposting in this thread, al?

1 Like

side note - believe we already missed a chance for NU3, and don’t think there’s enough time to research/write up a ZIP for a non-invasive way to change the curve in time for NU4. i’m viewing this as more of a thought exercise at this point.

1 Like

sorry, thought it might be helpfull to correct your total wrong and missleading graphs. I wasn’t aware you prefer wrong data for your propaganda, sorry statler.

1 Like

Thoughts on that… freshly mined coins have to ‘mature’ before they can be shielded which has to happen before they can be spent. Increasing the number of blocks to mature coins would address that. Miner still gets coins but has to wait longer.

Still think its not necessary, but thats just my opinion.

This has very very minimal impact and would delay things only for a very limited time.
For example if it takes 1 week to mature coins and than exactly 1 weeks everything would be old style again as daily the coins from a week ago would be fully available to spent.
If the maturity takes 1 month than after 1 month the effect vanishes and so on. Not really a slolution to fix anything.

Depends on how its done… for example, the last byte of the block hash could be the number of days before coins mature, extreme case & silly perhaps but it’d slow new coins getting into circulation.

<grumpy>
Instead of pissing on every comment, why not make a better suggestion?
</grumpy>

1 Like

The maximum effect it would last would be again the maximum highest possible number in days. If it’s for example 60 for 60 days than the effect would hold only 60 days and after this the released coins would be exactly as it was bevor. You get only a short break for as long as the FIRST “time lock” is.

It’s not pissing, it’s showing how it would work out in reality. It’s not my vault if a given suggestion has only a very temporary limited effect. And it’s not my opinion, it’s simple mathematics.

I can’t count how many times i have posted that the emission curve is designed without and further deep thoughts on how it will work out, especially for the founders reward itself. It was designed with some interesting intention but it doesn’t work out, obviously.
The only possible option to reduce the emission curve would have been to include it with a major upgrade/update/chance in the past. It just doesn’t make anymore sense to change while the Founders Reward is expiring at the same time because the only thing that would justify such step would be a founders or developers reward that ensures continued development. As none such is on the horizont after 2020 there is no reason to change the emission.

And just as a side note, while you many of you guys call my posts pissing and shitting i just adress the problems i see coming.
When i first mentioned all the fake volume months bevor it was picked up my media i got attacked.
When i mentioned that the ending founders reward is a bigger problem than the halving is positive, i got attacked.
When i mentioned for months now that the biggest problem actually is the emission curve and inflation, i got attacked.
When i wrote that naturally with this emission curve the BTC exchange will drop at least to 0.007, i got attacked.
No rocket science at all, enough you guys stop calling everything pissing and shitting that isn’t to the moon but adreses serious design flaws.

3 Likes

I remember when you were a paid bitman shill, lol.

I think a lot of people get lost in how you say stuff and not what you are saying. You have a very direct way of speaking, probably due to English being your second language. dunno, you might just be a very direct person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, lol, seems these days “Monero troll” is fashion here. :joy::rofl:

I know i’am a very direct person, it’s indeed the case. The language barrier is not responsible for my directness, only that i have to write a lot to compensating for missing words that would explain things way shorter.

1 Like

As an individual ASIC miner, I’m strongly in support of changing the emission curve to reduce inflation. At current market prices for ZEC, ASICs are already barely profitable for individuals, and since Innosilicon and Bitmain control the majority of the hashrate they are continuously dumping vast amounts of ZEC to the detriment of the entire community.

It’s my opinion that instead of trying to fork ASICs off the network, we should instead look to reduce the current emission to such a degree that it’s no longer profitable to mine ZEC even with extremely low electricity prices. That way large farms will have no incentive to keep mining and dumping coins for instant profit. The result would be that any miners left on the network would have no choice but to hold their mined ZEC rather than sell it.

Not only would this deter large miners and future ASIC development, but it would almost certainly stabilize the ZEC price in terms of BTC. This may lead to faster price appreciation in terms of USD, and potentially alleviate some of the funding concerns of the ECC. With about 30k ZEC in their reserves, a doubling of the ZEC price would result in an extra year of funding.

I believe in order to achieve the desired outcome, a significant reduction of the block reward is required. A reduction of the miner portion from 10 ZEC/block down to 2.5 ZEC/block should suffice. However, I would add one caveat that the Founders Reward portion should remain unchanged at 2.5 ZEC/block so as to not disrupt the current funding of the ECC.

I hope everyone can give some feedback on this idea, because I would like to write up a ZIP for NU4 and the deadline is approaching fast. All criticisms and suggestions are more than welcome!

2 Likes

Perhaps a stupid idea, but here goes :-

With BTC there’s OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY which makes funds unspendable until a certain point in the future.

How about freshly mined coins that are NOT founders reward have to have that? Perhaps 10% spendable immediatly but the balance slowly maturing over the following (choose a timescale, maybe a long one that changes over time)

It would really annoy the miners, they’d be hodlers by default

1 Like

Time locking has definitely been discussed, my idea way back for a consensus mechanism change involved a sort of timelocking as part of it (along with a bunch of other stuff :smile:)

1 Like

There’s quite a range of ideas now - selecting the best features from them would be interesting.

1 Like

I don’t think time locking would be sufficient since it just kicks the proverbial can of inflation down the road. After the lockup period, the coin supply is the same. What’s different about my proposal is that it would fundamentally alter the available coin supply in such a way that it benefits everybody except the largest mining farms and Bitmain/Innosilicon. These firms are sucking the life out if Zcash by selling their mined coins for BTC or USD. This needs to stop if Zcash investors are to ever have any hope of making money.

There seemed to be utter contempt for cryptocurrency investors among the attendees of Zcon, so I’m not particularly hopeful this will receive support. However, mass adoption absolutely requires that retail investors see profits. The single biggest source of organic user growth comes from people bragging to their friends and family about how much they made on a given coin. But who in their right mind would buy a coin that’s previously been nothing but a losing proposition?

1 Like

The “burn” concept (in some of the proposals) basically does this too, whatever amount a miner burns just doesn’t get created then so less comes into play per block and mining extends further into the future i suppose

Would like to see zcash abandon the halving altogether and shift to a constant emission. Can’t see how someone two generations from now is going to look back at the distribution of coins and think it’s reasonable. Reading the comments above looks like everyone else would disagree though (aside from tromp).

3 Likes

welcome to the forum!
tried it …didn’t get much support

1 Like

I would have supported it if it would have been fairly simple to do and didn’t lower mining profits so much that network security would have suffered. Hopefully the price would have gone up to compensate for most of it though.

Was thinking more like grin. Just keep the block reward a ~50 zec every 10 minutes.It would trend towards a lower inflation than gold. Also it’s really simple.

Inflation rate can stay the same if the coin goes to PoS. This way the hodlers arent taxed, and the purists inflation rates are satisfied.

1 Like