Changing Zcashs Emission Curve

if nothing is done; thinking zcash inflation rates will become normalized by the 2nd halving. imo

These are very difficult conversations, the decision community makes is going to literally set the future of zcash. Large investors, governments and individuals who are interested in fixed supply and ā€œscarcityā€ wonā€™t be invested into zcash even if it has better privacy tech. It is a tradeoff.

2 Likes

Are you serious? ECC and Zcash foundation has limited amount of Zcash emitted to them. As your transparency report suggests, youā€™ve been selling all your zcash to fund the development, each month as it goes ( and more from reserves).

Isnā€™t it more logical to tweak emission curve (like what zooko suggested for GPU miners with harmony mining so that their rewards are paid out in 52 weeks, instead of instantly) for miners, so it would allow zcash value to go up, and you would not be forced to sell all the zcash founder rewards, but instead increase your reserves.

Itā€™s been said USD 700000 is required for development each month. Current zcash price is around USD 73.5, so this means you need to sell ~9523 Zcash each month to pay for developers, marketing, etc.
Wouldnā€™t Zcash at 200 USD be better for Zcash foundation, as you would need to sell only 3500 zcash a month, and put rest to your reserves.

Zcash emission would still be the same for zcash foundation, and the miners (but the miners would receive it a lot slower).

Price increase would not suit you in one case only. It is if you are banking on community to allow founders reward to continue beyond halving in 2020.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised so many people are advocating for cutting the mining rewards, and miners seem to be quiet on the subject.

For a long time XMR and ZEC were closely correlated in market price despite the vast difference in issuance, so there is no guarantee that an adjustment in emission would affect the price at all. I donā€™t think trying to chase market value is something that the Developers should waste time on.

4 Likes

Miners donā€™t speak English :rofl:

Also I am not advocating to cutting down their mining rewards, just slowing them down.

3 Likes

Iā€™m personally fine with the Zcash issuance schedule, but remember, Iā€™m not part of the core team so my opinions are just opinions.

If others feel that the emission should be slowed down to help boost price then they should come up with a plan and submit a ZIP for consideration.

It will need to include specific details like exactly what the new curve will look like and considerations for network security if it cuts the miners rewards.

Deadline is August 31st

2 Likes

Just in case such ZIP would make it into the Deadline of August, got approved and itā€™s worked on. When would it be live? Autumn 2020 or?

2 Likes

I had an idea in the harmony mining thread where the amount of zcash created day-to-day doesnā€™t actually change but the amount thats forwarded onto the main chain (and into play basically) could depending on the miners wishes

Secondly, all of that zcash would be earned with commodity Hardware
Ugh it actually goes pretty deep but this isnā€™t the thread

Timeline:

Those charts are mis-aligned. If you just select Jan 2017 to Jan 2019 as your domian, they are pretty similar. Spot which one is Monero and which one is Zcash

Overall, what I really like about ZCash is fair emission. Keep in mind that Monero has low inflation simply because they printed 40% of them in the first year.

7 Likes

Ok, it would be, as i thought, live in October 2020. Changing the emission curve it that case doesnā€™t make sense with the founders reward expired.

Having more funds for development as the reason for changing the Zcash emission curve is the only real reason that would justify such a change in my opinion. As the Zcash Founders Reward expires in October 2020 anyway there is no need to change the emission anyway. Just too lateā€¦

2 Likes

Depends on the thread. I read a lot of the posts here, but not all of them.

1 Like

If you hope for Zcash to still be relevant 50 years from now, so at the timescale of a human lifetime, then is printing half of all Zcash in the first 4 years really all that fair? Certainly, itā€™s much better than printing 40% in a single year, but there seems to be room for improvement stillā€¦

5 Likes

Keep in mind that emission is only a part of the ecosystem. The only requirement is that emission must be larger than fees, otherwise miners will play games [ 1 ].

Of course, that directly contradicts a finite supplyā€¦

1 Like

I personally think that nothing should be changed. The ECC and the Foundation should not ā€œtweakā€ the emission curve or have anything to do with ā€œdriving adoption via marketingā€. That should happen organically. If it doesnā€™t happen, then itā€™s not meant to be. In general, miners, investors and speculators should not be in a profit debate. Folks obviously have a bias on this, based on speculative investments. Zcash is trying to be a private peer to peer electronic cash solution, and this is all I care about. I, personally, donā€™t care if Zcash is worth 1 cent or 10000 USD. I just want it to replace the USD.

6 Likes

Second, 20characters

1 Like

Yup, Iā€™d like it to replace USD as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Its easy to lose perspective, weā€™re a long way from crypto adoption & the tech isnā€™t really ready yet anyway. Speculative investments are fun but thats not what this is about. We also have years & years of user education ahead, by the time thats done inflation wont be an issue.

Iā€™d be more interested in a program to get lots of small businesses using ZEC, something focused like ā€˜all the shops in a small villageā€™ where an ecosystem can be incubated.

5 Likes

The problem is that the financing of development depends on the cost of zcash, are you ready to give the team money for development?

2 Likes

I have already made a suggestion about this matter here.

1 Like