Dev Fund 2024: Community Poll & Discussion Megathread

Based on all of our historical information there is no possible way for your 10 item list to be delivered in 4 years.

Funding is not the blocker to creating deliverables in this ecosystem, it is primarily an issue of productivity against technical and social challenges. If funding were the blocker for productive crypto building then you would be explicitly arguing against the material success of Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Monero, Ethereum Classic, and countless other successful projects that have built better and created greater adoption than Zcash on notably less funding.

The main Zcash ecosystem teams have spent about $1,000,000 combined avg per month for the past 3-4 years and the results (poor) speak for themselves; the issue here is not a lack of funding. Attempting to introduce parallel deliverable workflows would only strain productivity worse at my estimation. The deliverables teams have all struggled on single focus deliveries in the past few years with the case studies being: Halo to mainnet, the recent wallet sync/ fee mechanism mitigation, ZF zebrad enhancements, and Zcash Media content suite v1.

3 Likes

Why not?

1. A Suite of Native Apps - Steps for ZCG.
    (1) Contract out work for wireframe designs.
    (2) Continue to pressure ECC for better native APIs required for these applications to exist. Work already underway but we can do better by communicating developer requirements.
    (3) Contract out the implementation of app. Short milestones. Contract risks cancellation and on failed delivery.

2. Financial Instruments - Already started.

1. Research and Feasibility Work -
    ECC should prioritise this -Shielded transaction aggregates Ā· Issue #4946 Ā· zcash/zcash Ā· GitHub
    ZCG should prioritise this - https://twitter.com/adlrocha/status/1612757573400158209?t=CBFQr4f0YI7OIGpBV4tWaQ&s=19

2. Pay for Verification Key - ECC should prioritise this
    Pay-to-verification-key payments Ā· Issue #2425 Ā· zcash/zcash Ā· GitHub

3. Proof Of Stake - ECC has already started down this path.

4. Browser Extensions - As said in (1). ZCG should hire someone to wireframe the whole thing and contract out the work.

5. Media/Education - Zcash Media has already begun.

6. Zcash Prosperity Fund - Shielded Labs hopefully can work on this.

7. Claims and Attestations - ZCG need to get in contact with the ZKPass team. The Baseline Show: w/ zkPass part 1 - YouTube

8. Improved Regulatory Clarity - ECC working on this.

1 Like

To clarify, I am not equating FROST with SSS. Rather, I am stating that understanding SSS would inherently enable one to comprehend FROST, considering that both techniques are fundamentally rooted in the principle of Lagrangian polynomials. In essence, these concepts are based on relatively straightforward mathematics.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding regarding my perspective. I certainly do not advocate for the ZF to engage in legal action. Instead, I am expressing concerns regarding the duration it takes for the ZF to develop a functioning library, particularly when others have already put forward their own.

The behavior of the ZF might give the impression of intentionally withholding a technological advancement, potentially due to apprehensions about being perceived as having no other important tasks to perform.

@GGuy
I think it would be prudent to concentrate our efforts on resolving the present concerns before embarking on highly aspirational initiatives that may not come to fruition. As the adage goes, ā€œOne must learn to crawl before attempting to run.ā€
At this point, I would personally be satisfied by the successful realization of even one of these initiatives.

However, I do not believe them to be essential to the success of Zcash.

1 Like

The library has been functionally ready for months. The reason itā€™s not being advertised as so is that is hasnā€™t been audited yet (the audit will start soon) and that the RFC has not been published yet (it takes time due to CFRG bureaucracy that is outside ZF control).

2 Likes

Dev Fund 2024: Town Hall Meeting on Twitter Spaces

@David_Heisenberg and I are hosting a Twitter Spaces event Thursday, June 1 at 12:00pm PDT / 3:00pm EDT / 19:00 UTC to discuss Dev Fund 2024. Twitter link will be provided early next week. We will plan on recording the event for those who are unable to attend live. Community members are welcome to join to listen in, ask questions, and contribute thoughts and ideas.

Speakers
Co-Host: @aquietinvestor
Co-Host: @david_heisenberg
Moderator: @decentralistdan
ECC: @joshs
ZF: @dodger
ZCG: @brunchtime
Community member (support): @earthrise
Community member (oppose): @noamchom

21 Likes

I really like this way of envisaging the activities and flow of funds in the Zcash ecosystem. Hereā€™s my iteration:

PS: Hereā€™s the original Google Drawing for anyone to copy and adapt

12 Likes

I think you mean 19:00 UTC?

3 Likes

Good catch, thanks. I have updated the time to reflect 19:00 UTC.

1 Like

(Epoch timestamp = 1685646000)

6 Likes

Block 2106738

6 Likes

stardate 101013.23

5 Likes

Social scalability is an important concept to keep in mind in regards to the dev fund and proof of stake debate.

Interesting thoughts in this piece. I will hold off my personal opinions for now but thinking critically as a community, do any of these ideas apply to Zcashā€™s future? :student:

Found this old article with some more insights:

Are any of the community moderators doing a count of topics and opinions in this giagantic thread? Asking the question because there is so much back and forth lot of ideas and criticism but the halving doesnt happen for another year and a half and its sad if all these opinions get lost. When is the whole ecosystem going to reach the conclusion about keeping the devtax or not, or modifying it for the next epoch? Maybe it would be smart to rerun the same original poll questions next May or June and see how many voters we get and what the results are again that would be a smart regression check to see how the community perception changes or keeps steadfast over another year but still before the halving.

The concerns about Electric Coin and Zcash Foundation voters in the polls was never resolved. We all know that the polls always going to result in favor of devtax if those companies and other ZCG grant receivers are allowed to vote. Obviously they must vote to protect their salaries.

1 Like

The ECC development prioritization graph, which we use for all our internal prioritization and planning, is publicly visible here and our day-to-day work is all publicly visible on Github.

5 Likes

I second this and the reasoning behind it. If programmability was the key to adoption, Secret Network would have already taken over the entire market.

2 Likes

:100:
If web or mobile developers canā€™t easily add Zcash payment to their app like they can with Paypal or Stripe, then Zcash will only be used by a small number of people.

I believe we should work towards making the integration of Zcash even easier than Paypal or Stripe (since thereā€™s no need for registration and KYC). One way to achieve this is by ensuring that setting up your own full node and lightwalletd is as simple as running a few docker commands plus release a few standard library for popular languages like JS and Python.

8 Likes

So, I listened to the recording of the spaces last night. I did not listen to Q&A. Some thoughts.

Key takeaways

• Everyone agreed that the protocol development, and cryptographic advances, funded via the Dev Fund have been worthwhile
  • Next Zcash Dev Fund must make developing on Zcash on a better experience so people can build apps that solve their problems
  • Must decentralize dev fund money outside of US
  • Three camps were created to describe peopleā€™s thoughts. 1) Keep the dev fund as is 2) reform the dev fund 3) abolish the dev fund

Some personal comments

• I thought some of the conversation was in defence of recipientsā€™ previous funding, which can be expected to be fair
  • I wouldā€™ve liked @noamchom to have a bit more air time, but overall thought everyoneā€™s participations was equal. Managing six speakers isnā€™t easy. Great job moderators!
  • I didnā€™t understand why only protocol development was the only consistent item voiced as a positive thing to come from the dev fund. Iā€™m not sure if people donā€™t value other community contributions, or think theyā€™ve fallen short. Explicit, constructive, clarity would be helpful here. (Josh did mention some community items, but not sure if anyone else did)
  • I disagree with the framing that itā€™s either volunteers, dev fund, or VC funding. A balance can be struck, and should be considered for the next version of Zcash funding

Ideas worth discussing

• Like the majority of the panel participants, Iā€™m in the reform camp. Iā€™d be interested in having some discussions around how we can ensure long-term sustainability and think past dev fund model for some community activities
  • Iā€™d like to hear more from people who think we should abolish the dev fund, and what funding models theyā€™d like to pursue
  • Iā€™m very interested in redistribution models like ZecHubā€™s bounty program and ZFā€™s Minor Grants program. I think lowering the time commitment barrier to entry could help diversify our contributor community, and provide more opportunities for people to earn dev fund money. I think part-time contributors are undervalued
  • Iā€™m interested in alternative funding models, like how Shielded Labs received its startup funding. I donā€™t know how they did it, but appreciate they went a different route for its bootstrapping funds

If anyone wants to discuss these things, letā€™s do another spaces!

Potential suggestions for reform

I have potential suggestions for reform, but want to keep the conversation productive so will hold off on mentioning them here until more discussions are held publicly. If you want to hear them, ping me in the Zcash Global discord.

7 Likes

I believe conversations like last night are very good to have in helping us to get better. I think @noamchom makes some good points, especially concerning perhaps moving the funding model to rewards via POS. But I think I am leaning a little more towards reform right now, there is still a lot of work to do. Maybe a compromise of a 2 year commitment past 2024, to be reevaluated again in 2026?

I think perhaps some of the frustration from holders is that it can be easy to feel like maybe we didnt get the ā€œbest bang for the buckā€ we were hoping for with some of devfund? And maybe it is just an issue of the things all the entities are doing not being communicated very well? Perhaps it is hard to evaluate ā€œresultsā€ in a bear marketā€¦ but for instance- Zcash marketing was part of the fund. Where was Zcash being marketed? How? To who? I donā€™t believe I saw any tangible efforts in marketing- but maybe I just missed it? At the least I would have expected some marketing presence on social media.

No one wants to feel micro-managed, but I think the case for the devfund would be easier if work being done was communicated well. I read the arborist call notes last night- that super helps- it was exciting to hear about all the progress on FROST and ZSAs- way to go devs! Is there a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly report/update required from ALL the entities who receive devfunds? Personally I would feel way better about devfund if every week I could read a summary of progress taking place in all the areas.

Weā€™ll get this figured out. I believe Zcash has a bright future. Obtaining most anything of great value comes with a lot of hard work.

6 Likes

This is my personal opinion :slight_smile: (It would be funny if everyone started their posts like this, all the time)

Appreciate the thoughts, Ian.

Iā€™ll admit I was expecting the second question after we listed our dev fund Wā€™s was going to be what we considered the dev fund Lā€™s. Itā€™s easy to overlook details in Twitter Spaces hubbub, so Iā€™ll try to thoroughly list mine here.

Itā€™s been many years of dev fund, so Iā€™m surely forgetting things on both lists. But these things came to mind.

Dev fund spend I think is worthwhile

• Protocol engineering
  • Apps (light wallets, Zgo, etc)
  • Cryptographic research that leads to new useful features or better performance for ZEC
  • Documentation (ZecHub :raised_hands:)
  • Exchange support
  • Average user support (h/t @autotunafish)
  • New use cases (FUN would be a really great thing to introduce in our community) Tangent: I canā€™t stop thinking about how great it would be for Zcash (and for match quality) if it could be seamlessly integrated in an online game. You think ELO drives people? Microtransactional per-game wagers would drive people. Zcash LatAm has started doing regular poker tournaments and I think thatā€™s super awesome, and Iā€™m sad I missed the most recent one!

Dev fund spend Iā€™m not into

Nebulous marketing

• While I still am not convinced AAA-Quality video content is a worthwhile spend of the dev fund, at least Zcash Media has tangible deliverables.
  • I agree with @CruiseZodler. Other marketing efforts were basically invisible to me, and certainly donā€™t seem to have improved our position.

Regulatory outreach

• Not at all saying itā€™s whatā€™s happening, but to me, regulatory outreach is indistinguishable from a Rainmaking con
  • I admit I donā€™t assume good intent from politicians (plz no ban)
  • I think Zcash should be so robust it canā€™t be destroyed, and so valuable that nations want it in their economies. I think we see this happening with BTC.
  • PGP For Crypto has 137 subscribers on Youtube and 178 followers on Twitter. I have more on both and, Iā€™m basically nobody.

Charity to peripherally related causes ie Monero conference, Arti/Tor

• I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but I didnā€™t buy Zcash to fund Tor. Or Monero. I can donate money to anyone any time I want. It shouldnā€™t be baked into my money of choice. If Arti is a game changer for us, Iā€™ll eat crow on this one, and Iā€™ll definitely still namedrop Arti as a ZCG flex, since we funded it, and Iā€™ll try to foster its success, since we funded itā€¦ but until itā€™s a meaningful part of using Zcash, itā€™s w/e to me :tipping_hand_woman:
  • Maybe it seems small-minded, but I think the dev fund is here to support Zcash, not our leadershipsā€™ (This includes me!) pet causes.
  • Itā€™s great if people share my values, but thatā€™s not enough to make me want to shoot over dev funds. In fact, when grant applicants focus on our shared values and pledging allegiance to privacy, it puts me on guard. I assume we all like privacy. I donā€™t care if our creeds match up. I care about positive results for Zcash.

High-Dollar Education Efforts

• If itā€™s so hard to understand how to use ZEC, the solution isnā€™t more education, itā€™s making ZEC easy to use.
  • (Aside) I think our marketing opportunity will come when (and yes I mean when) transparent blockchain users get bitten. The IRS is amped up, and a bunch of clueless kids have racked up huge tax burdens clicking sexy DeFi UIā€™s without understanding their implications. Darknet Market users too, will likely have their turn in the barrel. This will suck and be sad, but itā€™ll also be the best advertisement for privacy crypto we could imagine.
16 Likes