[DISCUSSION] How should we deal with attacks from Howard Chu and the rest of Monero community?

Ok, this thread has been going for a while. I think what we do is make Zcash as good as we can. There are people in the Monero community I like and some I don’t. Same as Zcash.

Monero has a vibrant community, they aren’t a scam, and I think we can learn a bit from them.

Monero has two problems:

1. Collectively, a very poor attitude when responding to security flaws or criticisms. Effectively shooting the messenger. This is one of the things @zooko has done really well with ECC and Zcash. And this thread isn’t really aligned with that spirit.

2. A complete utter inability to acknowledge the very severe limitations of ringCT and decoy based privacy approaches. (see my talk at Zcon1/2/devcon 4 or this blog post ).

But guess what, Zcash also has a massive blind spot. We have a “perfect” privacy system which accounts for less than 4% of all Zcash transactions. And we have prominent voices in the community saying they are ok with increased transparent transactions!!! While this is still better than ringtCT because the anonymity set is cumulative, we still refuse to acknowledge its a problem that needs immediate attention. Or that we need to add network privacy.

So fix these and nighthawk, zcash, zebra, etc will speak for themselves.

Also remember, we aren’t fighting monero or anyone else for market share. The goal is the next few million people who are yet to adopt cryptocurrency. Those people won’t care who said what on forums or even twitter.

11 Likes