Do not change the algorithm

difficulty has nothing to do with the supply or value of ZCash

Difficulty is equal to the demand for newly minted coins, not necessarily the demand for total supply but absolutely part of the equation. I don’t understand how that would have nothing to do with the supply or value of Zcash? It has everything to do with it, especially when miners sell some or all of what they mine on an exchange.

1 Like

the question should not be if iam familiar because iam but the question is if i trust them and the answer is no …
u think iam the only one who feels that way because u dont??? Wrong personally i know 5 people in my neighborhood that feel the same and i saw on BTGs discord several people in the past mouth that come from Zcash and feel the same as well… maybe for you the mining is just about the profit but for me any several others it was not we have mined the coin when it was down and the miners reward was not even covering the electricity cost we have been miming even at lost because we wanted to support coin that was building a fair ,anonymous decentralized ,asic resistant,… network.
and btw i was also mining it from the early days of it existence but i not going to blindly follow every decision as you do especially when it goes against the early fundamentals of the coin …sadly some of the fundamentals has been dropped because of greed

3 Likes

So you have come to the conclusion that we must force miners to mine one coin so that the Grim Trigger equilibrium is maintained? The problem with your analysis is that you have restricted your game to one block chain (a very common mistake, Zooko also seem to think this). Unfortunately this does not represent reality and the Zcash block chain is in a complex game with the other alt coins and miners. Even if you have a dedicated ASIC for Zcash you will not be able to maintain a zero sum game and Nash equilibrium indefinitely.

This argument is exactly the same as the GPU vs ASIC argument, only here you will endlessly be trying to maintain ASIC specificity to the Zcash block chain. In the end it will be just as difficult if not more difficult than ASIC resistance.

Again so what you are saying is that you want to restrict the natural free market selection process and force Zcash on miners. This is denying the reality of the game Zcash is playing, by ignoring the larger game and market forces you will ultimately cripple Zcash to failure.

First, as other have pointed out, you seem to be confused about supply, demand, and how it relates to mining. But for the sake of this this discussion: So you want to artificially control the supply and therefore the demand, by forcing miners to mine only Zcash. This kind of market manipulation is illegal even in our current fiat based financial system. Why would you think this will be acceptable in a new financial system? Doesn’t this strike you as a step backwards from what we have in todays financial system and free markets?

1 Like

Hashrate has nothing to do with supply, mining difficulty adjusts very quickly with ZEC to maintain the blocktime & hence the supply of new coins.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is really true at all.
A drop in difficulty means there is less hash power working on zec, nothing else.
The ‘supply’ of zec always remains constant, whether there are 1 or 100000 miners working on it.

I think this is something that is really getting lost.

It is not like real world mining. If you’re mining gold out of a hole in the ground, generally if you double the amount of diggers you have, you will double the amount of gold you get.
If all of us miners double the amount of equipment we have, guess what? We get exactly the same amount of coins.
This is why crypto mining is flawed.

The ‘demand’ for zec is measured at the exchanges. It relates to how many people are willing to buy zec with another currency… And as people are usually interested in what zec is ‘worth’ that means how many people are willing to buy zec with a fiat currency.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty.

At the present time, no one buys zec (or any other crypto for that matter) for anything other than investment and trading.

Miners don’t increase the price of zec, they sell zec not buy it.

Who exactly is buying your mined coins?

Until there is mass adoption of a crypto coin that real people can use, there will be no market for it.

This is the real crypto problem… Whilst there is a large price fluctuation there will be no mass adoption - which normal person will exchange thier fiat to zec, for it to be worth half in a month’s time? No chance.

The long term investors are taking a punt hoping one of the coins will eventually become stable and get adopted… But really, even if you could spend crypto in shops etc, why would the man in the street exchange his $ or £’s for zec, then spend zec? Why bother with the hassle?

Think I’m going off this whole crypto thing…

2 Likes

Late response, but I think there seems to be some misinterpretation of what @root meant by “force” — as I read the post, his meaning was equivalent to “make it impossible to do otherwise” not “hold a gun to miners’ heads.”

3 Likes

I can be my own bank even now i can go and withdraw all of my Fiat money from the bank . Therefore i am my own bank now. What you are saying is not right no one should be forced to mine your coin. When i started mining Zcash i was not forced to mine it ,I mined it because of the Idea that it was going to be asic resistant . Most of the miners you guys chased away with your incompetence were there for the promise that it will be asic resistant , finally a crypto for the people. The price of a coin does not matter on how many ppl mine it. It depends on how many ppl are holding it and not dumping it on the exchanges (supply and demand). Now you have all of those asic’s coming in and specially the ones that paid 2000+ on the first batch are the ones that are going to kill the Zcash price. They have to mine and sell Zcash for over 2000 $ each and batch 2 is coming soon ppl will need to sell to get their investment back . But this is all stuff you guys were overseeing. I was forced to move to Ethash algo to be honest if i have to move back ot equihash i would rather go support the sinking ship BTG (as some ppl were referring to bitcoingold) that to ever again support you guys , at least when the asics came out they didn’t go ooo guys we never said we were gonna be asic resistant forever , they said on the same day the Z9mini was announced that they will change the algo or tweek the parameters in order to keep on staying asic resistant. This is how you win miners over . You cant force ppl to do what you want them to do !

1 Like