Electric Coin Company Comms and Adoption Efforts

Thats true @Cris83! But there are those that are interested in supporting Zcash because they believe in the importance of privacy and/or see the opportunity to make a statement or be first to market. Others want cash to hire devs. There is work to be done for 3rd parties to support z-addresses - far more than what’s required to support t-addresses.

2 Likes

The main goal is to fill blocks with z-z transactions, how to do it is the real issue.

1 Like

Can you list current agreements with interested supporters or is it a trade secret? Or plans for 2019, the expansion of influence on Asia was initially announced, but according to open information you only made trips and did not announce anything.

What do you mean by interested supporters? If I can infer that you mean 3rd parties that will add Zcash, our primary focus is adoption of z-addresses. Some hinderances include engineering to support HSMs, dev resource constraints, technical needs (requests for C++ instead of rust libs, etc.). There aren’t any secret agreements (and if there were I couldn’t say anyway), but there are conversations where I don’t feel comfortable sharing the intent of those partners. It’s their option to share or not share that information and in some cases, there are regulatory implications. We can only support them. But I am hugely encouraged that there are many that support the Zcash mission and want to be a part of it!

On Asia, I had planned to invest more in Q1 than we’ve been able due to budget constraints. That included hiring a regional lead, focusing a BD full time in the region and hiring a PR firm.

That said, Zooko and I did travel to Japan, Singapore and Korea for a couple weeks. I provided some information on a recent interview with Global Coin Research and Messari, but there is a lot of ground to cover on that front. We met with the JVCEA in Japan and MAS in Singapore, met with a number of exchanges, OTC desks, held 3 meetups and met 100s of people, did a half dozen press interviews, etc. I’m happy to give more specifics in any of these areas. I will say that our conversations in Japan were positive and led to an unplanned second trip. We spent a lot of time listening, and would like to restate that I have a high degree of respect for the people we’re speaking with and these efforts will take time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

Having in mind that 95.8% funds are still in transparent adresses it doesn’t seem the z-adresses adoption is successfull so far. What do you think is the main reason that just and only 1.9% of the funds are in the shielded sapling pool today? How do you plan to improve the adoption of z-adresses…

Some great stuff here joshs, there’s a level of detail that doesn’t make it into the regular/normal updates - its a kindof ‘mini-AMA’ :slight_smile:

Could I encourage you to hang out here every couple weeks & do something similiar?

Initially: Sprout was way too heavy, and could only be used if you had a zcashd. Now: IMHO the lack of easy-to-use libraries. We are in the same position now that the Bitcoin network was in probably 2012ish, where there were various use cases that couldn’t be served because there weren’t the libraries available to implement them. That’s personally been one of my main drivers while working on the reference wallet: enabling Sapling to be easily deployed in a wide variety of contexts.

6 Likes

Thanks @ChileBob! I’m going to continue to engage on this thread and other places as best I can.

1 Like

Nice @joshs, understand you can’t tell it all, but nice we get some updates with what’s done and what will be.

3 Likes

It is my belief in order to have mass adoption, these coins need to stop being taxed. I’m not going to use my coins everyday if I have to pay tax at the end of the year. I dont pay tax everytime I spend a dollar. Until that happens it’s my belief all these coins are investment plays.

Welcome!
Yeah its a pain, in the US supposedly the IRS will be issuing clarification on that eventually but whether or not anything really changes is yet to be seen
A lot of the time taxes are taken out when you actually spend the money, its a matter of when (it’s actually kind of nice that they let you take care of all of it yourself when you think about it…)

2 Likes