Flypool/Bitfly Miner Centralization

If this picks up steam, I’m willing to commit. I have 10 cards @ 7100 (7400 on EWBF) sol/s average as reported by FP.

just moved mine, will monitor it for several days …

As a follow up, after switching pools I’ve seen 5-7% higher shares despite the new pool having 3x the latency around 130ms compared to Flypool’s 35ms.

Higher shares with a worse pool connection points a suspicion I’ve had for a while: Flypool is taking a 5-7% fee by underreporting shares. They claim a 1% fee.

Can anyone else confirm?

Update: I do not believe this is intentional. I believe it was an issue with their system when I reported this. I’m not sure if it’s still happening or not.

1 Like

I know that I took such a hit on my two miners 6x 1070 rig and a 8x 1080ti rig on flypool I just moved my miners to raven coin for the time being… Witch sadden me to do so… I figured it was just because of the drop in price but now I’m starting to think it was because of some funny business going on while mining on flypool…

@root

I swapped to Nanopool yesterday around 520PM (Eastern time zone), so I’ve only got about 13 hours of comparative data. That being said:

On Flypool, with reported latency: 30-50ms, Avg Hash Rate 7.1ksol, I netted 0.26ZEC over 72 hrs.

Over 13 hours on Nanopool, latency:140-170ms, US Pool East, Calculated 6 hr avg hash rate 7.4k sol, I netted .0452 ZEC.

Hoping Nanopool proves to be comparably stable. I’ll update here after more data is collected, but I’m encouraged by the initial results.

I think in your 3rd paragraph you mean nanopool. I have always had better results on nanopool. I have pretty much heard good things from them. Over time my hashrate is at least what my rigs report, if not slightly higher. I think flypool is skimming off the top, but that is just my opinion.

1 Like

I mine on Flypool since it’s the most convenient to us - you just point your miners to it and go. They also have a good web interface so you can monitor your mining activity, payouts, etc.

This thread really illustrates why it’s vital that there must be some type of way developed so that we can solo mine profitably and individually. That solution lands right at @zooko’s feet.

If ZCash miners can use some sort of program to mine so that pools are not needed, then Pool Centralization evaporates. This is a billion dollar question and it needs an answer. Whoever solves it will make some good money as their reward.

Since this is about causing a Flypool Exodus, can anyone tell me which pool is as easy as theirs to use for miners in the US?

Nanopool is way better. The interface is pretty much the same. The payouts and calculated hashrate seen to be better. It is only possible to tell after you use it for a bit. But take a look at nanopool.org

1 Like

In all this time mining zcash, I actually never did it on flypool. I’ve used Nanopool, slush, suprnova, guru (rip :frowning: )… and settled for Nanopool on all my rigs. I like the simplicity and neatness of the interface. Hope more people switch to other pools.

1 Like

I also increased my Sol/s by at least 7k (amount may increase) despite poor latency on the new pool. Pretty outrageous and false advertising that Flypool is actually taking 5-7% as a fee.

“you just point your miners to it and go”

That is the same for any pool…?

Flypool is essentially stealing from you by taking more than they claim. For me, the amount they took by cheating is in the many thousands of usd value.

New users should beware, Flypool is dishonest and will take more than they say.

Edit: I have no proof this is happening on purpose.

1 Like

Over to NanoPool, let’s see if Flypool realy was dishonest :money_mouth_face:

anecdotally

i’ve been seeing an increasing amount of rejected shares on fly pool over the past month

i moved a rig to another pool and the temperature moved up 2 degrees.

Hmmm!

I’m going to switch my miners to Nanopool tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Another benefit of using nanopool is that it’s zecproxy friendly:

I’m going to test this out this week and see if there are additional gains.

ollyshiet, you’re right, flypool indeed took more than 1%. i got 5%+ increase on nanopool, and the hashrate count is very accurate for me (i got like 100sol lower on flypool). Thanks to this thread!

Flypool is gotten greedy. Just that everyone has gone there. Nanopool has been right on since I started with them last year. They are gaining ground as more people find them a better pool all around.

1 Like

indeed a significant increase in sols reported on the pool, looks like at least 5 % more with the exact same miner and rig.

Can’t say anything about paying yet, for that it’s running to short, but looks promising :smiley:

What drives other people from less popular pools is the inconsistent payout. Flypool finds blocks all the time, thus consistent payouts. Other, smaller pools, find them less often, BUT, there’s also less people to share them with and that means bigger rewards for everyone. It literally all evens out in the end, but people tend to see results hour by hour or even day by day, and not average out at the end of the month as they should.

1 Like

That’s the sad truth. I’ve started out mining 2 months on nanopool and once I switched to flypool I got much more consistency, lower hashrate (at least 300 sol/s less) but still I’m getting payed more.