Flypool over 70% of total hashrate

A few hours ago we saw this situation:

Global Network: 266MH/s
Flypool: 195MH/s (73%)

Does anyone else think this is unhealthy for the network?

2 Likes

https://poolstats.org/ZEC

1 Like

Thank you for proving my point. So we know that during a day, roughly 576 blocks are being mined (24 x 60 / 2.5). Out of those, Flypool found 322 blocks. That is about 56% of all blocks.

That does not look very decentralized, does it? And it opens up the possibility of all sorts of nasty attacks, like selfish mining or ledger manipulation.

I feel no pool should have more than 40% and ideally not more than 30%. What do you guys think?

agree on that. but there are to many fools out there, selfish to 100% . disgusting tbh!

1 Like

What can we do? And what can Zcash as a company do? This is a threat, is it not? Should the system not be decentralized?

Remember whenever a problem occurs it is never completely connected to the coin (ZEC, BTC, ETHm …). But that affects the coin: DAO, MT Gox, Bitfinex and more. The community has these responsibilities.

1 Like

I completely agree with you!

You’re right, and this is an issue.
I used to mine at other pool, but moved ecentually to fly pool.
We should move to other pool.

2 Likes

We started a pool called ZPool.Guru to create more of a balance again. We will soon start marketing efforts. Hopefully we can ensure that no pool has even close to 50%. I think 40% should be the maximum and 30% would be better.

1 Like

@Shawn - what do you think about this?

40% Pledge

Maybe even a hard rule?

Is this not something Zcash should enforce / require / support?

I am afraid that is not software/code solution of this situation … :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, but easily solvable if the pool would limit itself, would force the megaminers to spread out

2 Likes

Exactly my point. There should be a pledge by all pools for a maximum.

There is no method for Zcash Company to control any pools share or hashrate, the miners choose what software to run and which pool to join.

4 Likes

Zcash co shouldn’t have too

1 Like

I think there’s some misconception as to who’s responsibility it is to get their pool on the map. While I understand it’s certainly not in the best interest of the community for Flypool to have such a significant percentage of hashrate on the network, it is what it is. As I’ve mentioned numerous times before, the onus falls on the individual pool to persuade miners to move. This is done through incentive as the network has already established itself at this point with Flypool clearly taking the majority.

There’s no easy button here. If you want the miners, you’re going to have to work for it. You need to find a reasonable incentive that not only interests miners but that also keep those running the pool happy as well. Even if that incentive is short term. This would have been a much easier feat when Flypool had under 50% of the hashrate. Not so much now. People go there for one reason and one reason only, the frequency in which blocks are found. If you want to compete as a pool you’re going to either have to rent a large chunk of hashrate until users move or you’re going to have to offer a significant incentive.

I’m currently running on Zpool.guru because I want it to succeed and agree that Flypool has too much leverage here, but most of the miners you have are not strictly profit hunters and care about the community. That isn’t going to be enough.

4 Likes

Personal thoughts: I think what we’re seeing is a result of the sheer number of people in China who want to mine with their home PC and gfx card. They naturally gravitate towards using a Chinese (language) service, instantly creating a large pool with high chance of winning blocks, and this in turn attracts others outside of China.

Good point! We need our website in multiple languages!

1 Like

I agree, I just don’t think it should be used you increase your own income @Laszlo since you have a competing pool and a conflict of interest to get more users there. I do not believe you would be pushing people away from your own pool if you had 70% of mining hashrate. You would be raking in in the zcash silently without caring about the security of the zcash network.

You’re literally saying that “selfish mining is bad” while advocating people use your pool as an alternative, which is also selfish.

1 Like