Funds mysteriously disappeared

Dear Community

I have around 115 ZEC that disappeared after I transfer them into a ZS address. I’d like to ask for some help to infer what has happened and if there’s still anything I can do to recover it.

What I did

I had ~115 ZEC on June 25, 2019, in the t-address t1bcBn34fXFJZHcmi2pfMkhdt3g487dkDAv and I transferred it into a z-address using the zcash-swing-wallet-ui. Then after 20 minutes of the transfer, I confirmed that the transaction went through (IIRC) and I dumped the key into a file. This transaction is available here.

Fund disappeared

A few days ago I tried to recover the fund, but all the Z addresses from that key file showed 0 balance and no historical transactions. I doubled checked with both the same GUI software and the zcash-cli command-line tool. I can confirm that this is the file I dumped as the last modification date from Google drive is 14:45, Jun 25, 2019. Results pasted below.

The output

>>> zcash-cli z_listaddresses
[
  "zcWgw4WxinctBvreD5h2zVcErqUtoM9dzj5Zx2L66opTYwvRAhmpqkc2kEuc2tehCThXVPaXhT3yntvttPKwKFsyRcDx6pr",
  "zs1wgxddqxjsxfczlks0tww6wfawf86tfn3wzc0snyx6wwdp49sft0l3w40fh55zqlc3ncnk6ucadg",
  "zs1mtl6alngemegm99uc3ptjwxxdx4z8a2n2a9lr8el36yalpvetjhyvpx72vyny3jzd6ds62kyuw7",
  "zs1785egjqxhqyjvy3pg8mwtyzx5n3ulthdqpm0k68wdmmqhuq0s63vxyjhdtfqynth8gn9cme87z6"
]
>>> zcash-cli z_gettotalbalance
{
  "transparent": "0.00003366",
  "private": "0.00",
  "total": "0.00003366"
}
>>> zcash-cli z_listreceivedbyaddress zcWgw4WxinctBvreD5h2zVcErqUtoM9dzj5Zx2L66opTYwvRAhmpqkc2kEuc2tehCThXVPaXhT3yntvttPKwKFsyRcDx6pr
[
]
>>> zcash-cli z_listreceivedbyaddress zs1wgxddqxjsxfczlks0tww6wfawf86tfn3wzc0snyx6wwdp49sft0l3w40fh55zqlc3ncnk6ucadg
[
]
>>> zcash-cli z_listreceivedbyaddress zs1mtl6alngemegm99uc3ptjwxxdx4z8a2n2a9lr8el36yalpvetjhyvpx72vyny3jzd6ds62kyuw7
[
]
>>> zcash-cli z_listreceivedbyaddress zs1785egjqxhqyjvy3pg8mwtyzx5n3ulthdqpm0k68wdmmqhuq0s63vxyjhdtfqynth8gn9cme87z6
[
]
>>> zcash-cli z_viewtransaction 5e74e0bf3ad143b59a40e8eefa4efb4007ea73d3bed216850243ed5d8d8a3b31
{
  "txid": "5e74e0bf3ad143b59a40e8eefa4efb4007ea73d3bed216850243ed5d8d8a3b31",
  "spends": [
  ],
  "outputs": [
  ]
}

Any idea what could most likely have happened? Do I still have any chance to recover these ZECs?

Thank you for helping me
bone6

Firstly, the Zcash swing wallet has this warning at the top:

DEPRECATED: not to be used! - Desktop GUI Wallet for ZCash

Any particular reason why you chose to use it rather than just CLI?

I’m not sure what happened but it looks like you have a Sprout addresses as well as Sapling. If you want to send from that Sprout address to a Sapling you need to migrate via the turnstile:

Zc → T → Zs
Sprout-to-Sapling Migration — Zcash Documentation 5.2.0 documentation

Is your node fully synced that you are checking this on?

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the deprecated marker and my transaction 5e74e0bf3ad143b59a40e8eefa4efb4007ea73d3bed216850243ed5d8d8a3b31 went through using this deprecated software GUI.

I know the migration thing but even if I sent it from t-zc, no balance is showing up on that zc address anyway. Any idea if this is still related to migration?

I didn’t know which z address this transaction went to - either one out of the 4 addresses I have private key or a different address (can’t explain this from my knowledge)

Thanks for your response. Yes fully synchronized if I understand correctly.

>>> zcashd
           Block height | 1084438
           Next upgrade | Unknown
            Connections | 7
  Network solution rate | 7.646 GSol/s

Hm, looks like you had a super low payout threshold for your miner 0.0008 which resulted in over 1,000 small transactions. For next time set your threshold higher to something like 0.01 to avoid having to combine many transactions.

That being said, I’m still not sure where your ZEC is. When you sent it back in June was it to a Sprout or Sapling address?

Have you tried doing a -rescan or a -reindex to try to have the node re-search the chain for your funds?

If those don’t work then you may have a corrupt chainstate and could try setting up a fresh full node and transferring your wallet.dat file to it, and then performing a -rescan.

Yes when it approached the end of my mining I turned the payoff threshold to very low.

I can’t confirm if I sent it to a ZC or ZS address and as it’s a Z address anyway I have no way to check it. What I know is that it was transferred on 14:20 and my key file was backed up on 14:45 so the 4 Z keys have a good chance to include the target address.

Is there any chance say a new address was generated by the GUI wallet but was not included in the backup in June 2019? The GUI has not been updated since 2017 (I downloaded the source and compiled it myself).

I don’t think the keys are compromised but even if they do, I should see the transaction from z_listreceivedbyaddress. Am I understanding things correctly?

I refreshed and rescanned for a few times before I post this thread.

That’s not likely, the swingwallet GUI or CLI shouldn’t generate a new Z-address unless you want it to via z_getnewaddress

It doesn’t sound like your keys are compromised, just that the Zcashd is having some problem seeing the funds, as I mentioned before it could be a corrupted copy of the chain. Since you said you did a -rescan you can try a -reindex which will take much longer.

If that doesn’t work then I would suggest transferring your wallet.dat backup to a brand new node you set up on a different sandbox machine that you know is clean. Let it sync 100%. Stop it. Swap the wallet.dat. Restart with -rescan.

Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks. Though, I tried the reindex option without any luck. I also fully deleted ZCash and re-synchronized and no fund shows up.

I wanted to check if I sent, using the deprecated swing-gui, from a t address to a ZC Sprout address, will any unexpected behavior happen? Since I still have a ZC address in my backup.

Otherwise do you have any idea where the fund might be :cry:

I don’t think you could have sent it to Sprout address, as adding to the Sprout value pool was disabled in the Canopy upgrade. It looks like it was sent to a Sapling address: here’s a block explorer that shows the raw transactionvjoinsplit (Sprout transaction list) is empty, and vShieldedOutput contains a Sapling shielded output. (you could also get this via zcash-cli getrawtransaction 5e74e0bf3ad143b59a40e8eefa4efb4007ea73d3bed216850243ed5d8d8a3b31 1).

If you have your .zcash directory from when you sent it you could look at the debug.log if it contains the address that you sent it to.