Future of Zcash dev funding — megathread / everything in one place

You are right about the year, i should have double checked bevor posting the numbers. i’am not a BTC fan so i have to look up numbers for BTC.

Uhm, how did you come to this conclusion? First BTC price i was able to find is $0.03 (3 cents!) in year 3 which should be November 2011 the price was $2.50-3.00 according to historical data.

by the way, that’s pretty offtopic here the last 10-15 posts in this thread!

How is that offtopic you are the one who compared prices with BTC and ZEC so it was you who was offtopic first.

In 2013 the block reward for BTC was 25 BTC not 50 BTC. This is would equate to 7200 BTC per day. In 2013 it was 3600 BTC per day while at the current time its 7200 ZEC per day.

I would call that VERY relevant but I will allow for other readers to decide.

2 Likes

I was talking mainly about my posts, not yours!

Jan 3 2012 is the beginning of year 3 for Bitcoin.

My point was ZCash is punching above its weight compared to where Bitcoin was at that point in time.

1 Like

Spot on.
I was browsing transaction data and obviously it varies like crazy for both chains throughout the year but they’re both in a similar ball park.

That’s not a prediction of future ZCash performance of course. But just a push back against the silly narrative that somehow ZCash should be miles ahead of where it is now.

2 Likes

Yes and the assumption that miners put less sell pressure on the price than the developers is preposterous. At least with the developers I can see where the money is going and at THIS point the community has at least SOME control over ECC and ZF spending.

What control do we have over miners. At this point I suspect that a vast majority is using profit switching pools like nicehash and dumping ZEC for BTC as soon as they mine it. I mean they didnt bother to vote so…

Im doing the opposite I am mining BTC and converting it to ZEC (Just one GPU though on my personal PC). Didnt work out so well thus far but my goal for this bear market was to accumulate. And I have increased my stash by a lot. So I would say I was succesful.

1 Like

I presume you mean you’re renting your hashpower to nicehash, getting paid in Bitcoin then selling that for zec… ?

Yes I get paid in bitcoin and once it accumulates to 0.001 I can transfer it for free to my Coinbase account and purchase ZEC with it.
As of recently you can exchange ZEC for anything directly on nice hash but their fee is worse (0.5%) and their spread is terrible.

38 cents per day is terrible profit but thats what bear markets do. This is a nvidia 1070 watter cooled and mildly overclocked. I did however manage and maintain a medium sized GPU mining farm for a part of the profit. The owner knew almost nothing about computers or crypto.

I use this mining more to gauge sentiment in the ALT market than to profit.

This 1070 has made about 0.25-0.3 ZEC per month in the last year or two so that would be 6 zec mined thus far if we consider two years. Its not much but it helps. Electricity is cheap here and these coins were significantly cheaper than if they were bought on the market.

My rig is ultra silent so I really dont get any discomfort from this and the only game I play lately is Civilization 6 and I can play that on integrated graphics.

2 Likes

ZF’s statement is out:

7 Likes

Hi friends!

After we at the Electric Coin Co posted this blog post about the community sentiment polling results, we generated this image by including only proposals that were preferred or abstained by more than 50% of the vote in at least one of the three of the polls that we looked at. That leaves six proposals (the other seven were rejected by more than 50% of the votes in all three polls):

Even though the Zcash Foundation has already announced its plan (which is to use ZIP 1012 along with some elements drawn from ZIP 1010), we think it is interesting to see how at least some of the community support a range of proposals.

It’s also interesting to look at these results in light of my previous post on this thread about how there are five different “clusters” of proposals: “No Dev Fund”, “10%/10%”, “Governing Bod(ies)”, “Miner Directed”, and “Kek the Can”.

In my view, these six proposals fall into the clusters:

Overall, I continue to be delighted to see the community coming together through this process. It feels to me that people are generally pulling in the same direction and we’re getting good momentum! I’m looking forward to seeing the specific proposal that the Zfnd comes up with.

6 Likes

Zooko, I was confused by this post because several of these proposals clearly don’t have 50% preferred support. Then I realized you’d constructed a list of proposals that have 50% “prefer OR abstain”, which makes me even more confused. Why are you singling out proposals with that specific metric?

2 Likes

I was interpreting “Abstain” as “I could live with this one”. If you want to look at just “Approve”, you can squint and see the percentages of Approve at the bottom of each column.

Frankly I don’t know what abstain means here. If people can live with a proposal, I’d assume they voted “yes”. I’m concerned about applying these subjective standards to the voting results.

5 Likes

Abstain is not quantifiable because its synonymous to nothing, whats the difference between voting abstain and not voting? The vote part, voting to not vote, I thought it was a little curious myself

Do those metrics reflect the people who abstained from abstaining?

2 Likes

It can be ambiguous if users didn’t vote, which is why the votes on the Forum were counted as “abstain” if a user voted on any of the proposals then the ones not voted on are equivalent to abstain.

If an account voted on any of the 13 proposals, their response for the proposals they didn’t vote on is counted as abstain.

On that post from Josh ^ you can see the difference leaving out abstains makes, pushing one well above 50%.

Either way, with the abstains in or out, the results still strongly favor proposals 12 & 13.

5 Likes

I don’t believe opinions people choose to withhold are up for conjecture in any sort of applicable fashion

(If it is up for conjecture then there probably shouldn’t have been a yes option because it’s synonymous with abstain i.e yes = i can live with this?
Abstain = withold my opinion but that doesn’t mean you can make it up for me either )

2 Likes

Given the total number of people who voted, it is not worth focusing on this, the post does not bear any serious meaning, just an entertaining task for the mind.
To abstain also means to vote “no” because “yes” did not vote, everything is simple, if a certain amount of “yes” is necessary for acceptance, then any excellent votes do not give the opportunity to accept any proposal. But of course, the ECC CEO can interpret as he wants (no).

1 Like

Yes, at best it’s just the negative half of the turnout

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=abstain+meaning:
Abstain means “formally decline to vote either for or against a proposal or motion.”

4 Likes
  1. There is a typo in the post.
    “However ZIP 2013 differs with regards to account” Please fix the ZIP number shown to ZIP 1013.

2. “A small number of issues need to be resolved between the two leading proposals.” The post starts with saying there are only two leading proposals but there are actually three.

This is such an important piece, worth doing proof reading with other board members?

2 Likes