There is also a summarized version of this forum thread, for those of you who are particularly busy: Future of Zcash dev funding — high signal, low noise
Let’s get a little more organized Thanks @nathan-at-least and @boxalex for prompting me to put this post together. It is meant to be a more focused version of @Shawn’s January “Zcash in the year 2020” thread, which kickstarted this whole discussion on the forum.
Disclaimer: I will update this post with new information as needed. If you think I missed anything, or want to point me toward something to add, send me a message, tag @sonya in a comment, whatever. In particular, I would appreciate being pinged about new proposals to add to the list below.
This thread is for comparing and contrasting proposals (e.g. which ones can be combined?), commenting on the general trends of proposals so far, discussing and defining the feedback process, and hopefully moving toward broad consensus or something close to it.
On the threads (or GitHub issues) for specific proposals, discuss the pros and cons of those specific proposals, or suggest improvements.
Mostly in chronological order. (Quite a few came in on 6/19, for example, and I didn’t order them by exact posting time.)
- Dev Fund Proposal : Continued from block rewards with a halving schedule @ChileBob
- ZIP proposal Keep the block distribution as initaly defined. 90% to miners @mistfpga
- ZIP Proposal - A genuine opt-in protocol level, development donation option @mistfpga
- Dev fund proposal: 20% to any combination of ECC, Zfnd, Parity, or “burn” @amiller
- Dev Fund Proposal: 20% split between the ECC and the Foundation @aristarchus
- Dev Fund Proposal: opt-out mechanism for sharing block rewards by miners for dev fund @dontbeevil
- Dev Fund Proposal: No dev dund, let FR expire, market decides @jj6
- Dev fund proposal: modified 20% combination; 40/60 ECC/choice @Autotunafish
- ZIP proposal: ZCFS (Zcash Community Funding System) @rex4539
- New Funding Proposal + Community votes @SydneyPete
- Dev Fund Proposal: Dev Focused , let the Nodes Decide @Shawn
- Placeholder Considerations: Resources, Governance, and Legitimacy in NU4 @cburniske
- Dev fund proposal: 15% Opt-In only + other sources @boxalex
Relevant statements from Zcash Foundation executive director @acityinohio:
After forum discussion, the next step is creating and submitting a formal Zcash Improvement Proposal.
The ZIP process is defined in ZIP 0.
|ZIP draft submission deadline||Aug 31, 2019|
|Feature selection done||October 31, 2019|
|Testnet beta code release||March 31, 2020|
|Testnet activation||May 31, 2020|
|Mainnet activation||October 2020|
Proposals for NU4 must be submitted as draft ZIPs by August 31.