Google achieves quantum supremacy

What will the Implications be for ZEC and the crypto ecosystem?

I find this entire thing quite odd…this report was added to the nasa.gov site only to be removed shortly after.

Quantum is neat but from what I gather its more of a marketing scenario about large quantum cloud applications because the test pits the regular “mystery” supercomputer to sample a quantum curcuit, theres this neat “thing” called “entanglement”, a physical mystery and unique to Quantum science and I almost bet it has something to do with that
And yeah it’s cool your questions are valid but 10000 years isn’t 10^21 years which is more like what its gonna take!

1 Like

As someone who has worked in this area.

I bet the article got pulled due to mistakes rather than the implications to the world.

53 cubits is okay, but it is very far from 256 bits. let alone what is used inside modern day military and govt crypto machines.

Going from 53 to 54 qubits is a bit (only a bit) like decibels so 55 qubits is twice as hard to make as 54 qubits which is twice as hard to make as 53, etc.

The link you posted makes it sound like you can just get two 53 qubit machines (impressive in itself and just put them together, you cant. it doesn’t work like that. ) there is a lot of almost right, but highly misinformed opinion in that article

I hate the way the media focuses on breaking secrets with quantum computing. If you can break 2048 bit algo, why? just prove Reimann instead using Chalin’s constant, the fact 53 qubits is far behind the 64bits we already know of omega just shows how far off this is (I bet this gets quoted back at me in 2 years when quantum computers bring about the apocalypse)

This is the greatest unsolved and maybe unsolvable problem - it is a universal problem that if solved, solves every problem that can be expressed mathematically in the same number of bits or less (Reimann is about 2000 I think) So the headline could have been “Google, one small step closer to solving the worlds problems” similar hyperbole and misinformation.

Yes current crypto runs on NP problems which quantum computing could break. but it will be a long time before quantum computing catches up with regular computing today. and by the time it has normal computing and crypto will have moved on.

dwave is the company to look at in this area. This is a decent article from 2017

If you would like a full in depth answer as to how quantum computing would impact zec and how many qubits you would need, then that is more an essay question - one I don’t really want to write if im honest. Calculating the quantum attack surface you would think would be simple. but it is not.

2 Likes

Related: Google Says It's Achieved Quantum Supremacy, a World-First: Report

1 Like

Okay so it’s just an approximation of what they think Summit would do (probably on the upper bound)
It’d be nice if they could actually Benchmark it but then again maybe the circuits are not compatible (citing the only can be performed on a Quantum processor part again), would definitely be different coding so idk how they figured the computibility
It’s like saying my car will do a 95 miles per hour
Yeah well this here spaceship will do 25,000 wink

It just seems like a strange comparison, generalized, Summit is the fastest supercomputer in the world, not the 2nd
and would take 10000 years, not 9
We need more actual data!
“Fortune” is not like super science oriented!

P-bits , the poor mans q-bit can perform quantum computing at room temperature:

1 Like

I should sell them my dodgy USB key - ever since it accidentally went through the washing machine its been able to store '1’s & '0’s in the same locatoion at the same time. Its clearly a quantum effect, either that or its completely knackered.

3 Likes

Quantum doge keys!? Very Quantum, much Wow.

4 Likes

thanks mate, now I get to lose sleep again, heh. the temperature thing was always my, “nah it will be okay” fall back. I hadn’t heard of p bits before.

Can it do Busco Quadnary?

I cant find the original, just a retsupurae of it. try and follow the bloke talking and see if you can do it without having an aneurism. (the funny thing is, the bloke is sort of describing tensor cores, he just doesn’t know it.)

End big binary!!

1 Like

False. We don’t know 64 bits of Omega. Some people computed 64 bits of a constant they claimed to be an Omega, but is not.
See Talk:Chaitin's constant - Wikipedia…?

It is much harder to compute bits of halting probabilities for well designed universal languages. See for instance my own http://tromp.github.io/cl/Binary_lambda_calculus.html#Halting_probability

4 Likes

You are correct. I was overly simplifying it. 64 bits have been computed for special cases. (ie no universal machines, it isn’t true omega.)

My understanding of the application of omega is no where near as informed as tromps - seriously, tromp is right, but I am hopeful.

I was then going say you can compute it for a single “per application basis” as it were. But I am not even sure that this is true anymore. I think it needs further constraints, however you might be able to use the technique to prove reimann - although I am not going to die on that hill. If you say it isn’t feasible. I am not going to argue.

(This is my opinion, and even if it were to happen, youd still need to prove that your “program” actually does prove reimann, which is new science that needs to be invented, heh.)

Your GitHub and LC.pdf has made my head hurt. I take my hat off to you. I will keep going over it until I get it, but I think it is way beyond my level - actual omega. seriously, good work.

1 Like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19lv8p1fB47z1pEZVlfDXhop082Lc-kdD/view
It was redacted because it’s wrong pretty much, the groundbreaking thing is actually a problem inherent with Quantum computing and it doesn’t really seem to be a solution to any problem
Screenshot_2019-09-23-11-43-29~3
Marketing pitch

Just some thought: While google for marketing and promotion advertises it, i doubt chinese, russian and maybe even other coutries would like to do the same and this could mean there are allready way more powerfull quantum computing around.

Another article about the Googles Quantum Breakthrough, some interesting parts included:

1 Like

…wondering how long it’ll be before some engineer gets caught mining crypto on Googles shiny new quantum machine.

1 Like
2 Likes

Great, easy to understand talk, explaining the fundamentals of quantum computers.

1 Like