Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Actually even more thinking about it i’am asking that an “emergency block reward halving” happens as soon as possible:

This would eventually even safe some money prepared for the research:

• Such an action would immediatly show on how much loyal hashrate Zcash can count.

I’am betting my ass that every profit oriented Miner (be it right now Bitmains Asics or GPU miners) would switch immediatly in lightspeed to something more profitable, but it would result in way more decentralization on the zcash network.

There is about 6 weeks left until the Z9’s are shipped. Maybe it’s worth trying this for 6 weeks and see how it goes. Still better than a hardfork that delays 100 important things.

OK…so Z9 mini takes over the network…same folks who give Flypool such a huge percentage instead point Z9 to Flypool…nothing changed. Yep GPU miners are Greedy. Leave the character assassination that’s been running rampant about GPU miners out of it. Every scenario to “prove” how bad we somehow are is the same scenario that is going to play out with a ASIC…whoever is discovering the most blocks is going to have hashpower migrating to it.

1 Like

Exciting news from China! Bitcoin wallet preinstalled on all Huawei phones in China! (Bitmain makes an appearance.) Please keep all discussion of ASIC-Resistance in this thread, and all discussion of cryptocurrency wallet distribution in China in that thread.

3 Likes

I just asked the mods to just freeze this thread and tell everyone to move the discussion to reddit or a Zcash-Foundation-managed discussion forum or something. I don’t know if they’ll do it, though. They don’t always do everything I say. :slight_smile: But seriously, it is very upsetting to me that our long, proud tradition of open, collaborative, constructive discussion has been marred by this ill-tempered and exhausting thread. :frowning: I’d like to see the mods make an example of this and demonstrate to people that (a) productive discussion is possible (see all the rest of the threads on this forum!) and (b) unproductive discussion, ad-hominems, and repetitive campaigning can happen somewhere else (like reddit).

[Edit by @daira: please note that as a moderator, I strongly disagree with closing this thread. The vast majority of the discussion has been constructive, and moderators have been on top of flagging/hiding personal attacks. Also, @zooko has a conflict of interest, as the main representative of a particular side of the argument, and should not have asked that the thread be closed without further consultation among moderators. I was sorely tempted to unilaterally reopen it, but I’m also not impartial here. Also, I’m tied up with a zk proof workshop at the moment. Please bear with us while we sort this out.]

5 Likes

I was going to post a lengthy comment to this @Zooko…but at the moment I’m still trying to believe how much brass you seem to have to even say that. You personally stoked the fires a couple times…but your hurt at the disharmony. Just…wow.

4 Likes

Topic has been temporarily closed per Zookos Request.

Please stay tuned, we are working on splitting this into separate topics so users can continue the discussion without having to read through 2000 posts.

There are two new threads for users:

We will be continuing discussion in this thread as well, but we have created two new threads for users to be able to dive into specifics of the ASICs debate, please see my post above --^

6 Likes

Knock knock… TSMC, May I rent your old ASML machines for printing some easy stuff?

Ohhh It’s mining so well. Let’s printing it more, mine it for several months then selling them Yoooo!!

seems like the profitability is dropping overtime. So… Let’s make some new coins!!! (Segwit 80000X?)

Hi TSMC, May I rent some more advanced machines? … Our scammy businesses are doing so well!!
Let’s print it more for another Algos! …( infinite loop ) …

Is this how decentralised works?
Something ruining our community?

1 Like

Would you rather have you Zcash crypto currency concentrated in few or hand or many? which would be better for adoption?

I would like to thank the moderators for their level headedness throughout this debate, you have been a great example on how a project like this should handle such controversy.

Though the same can not be said for Zooko which has shaken my faith in the project quite considerably, I’m not sure the project can continue on the successful path it has taken if he is still involved, I believe the communities lack of faith in him after this debacle will affect the trajectory of this project, is it possible for us to move on without him?

2 Likes

Ah ok, so it is not a matter of ASIC, neither that Bitmain leads the sales of mining hardware, it’s just a matter of performance ?

Stating that: high performance = high centralization
May be an intellectual shortcut…

You cannot reduce the community to a few dozens of (+/- AntiAsics) people who are posting on the Zcash forum.

Once again, I think it is a shortcut by saying ASIC=centralization.
It is not black or white.
It would be a concern if Bitmain didn’t sell their Asics, so yes the block chain could be centralized.

Why being suspicious ? Why do you seem opposing GPU Miners and Asic Miners ? Can’t we be both ? I have a few dozens of GPUs running and I am going to setup a few Equihash Asics as well. I am a Zcash miner like you, and I will keep mining because:

And if it takes a few devices to support the network with better efficiency, I will. Even if, I will receive a few less bucks because of the rising difficulty.

The manner this discussion has been started by Zooko is not professional and reflects poorly on ZCash.

Im bailing as there is clearly a lack of direction in the ZCash foundation. Meanwhile other privacy focused technologies are driving forward with vision and solid communication to their user base.

2 Likes

By the way, we’d better dedicate our energy to broadcast our belief and to convince people not involved, than trying to take a few market shares to the competitors in a small crypto world.

I am simply letting the ZCash foundation know my thoughts on the matter.

If you want an echo chamber go find it elsewhere.

I dont have any questions because its clear that Zooko is against ASIC resistance. The price of ZCash will reflect what a poor decision this is.

3 Likes

You can not reduce the community to few pro asic people.

1 Like

That is the most important thing. Nothing will change whatever we argument. Zcash is centralized by zooko him self before being under the threat of centralization by bitmain.