Let’s talk about ASIC mining

You cannot reduce the community to a few dozens of (+/- AntiAsics) people who are posting on the Zcash forum.

Once again, I think it is a shortcut by saying ASIC=centralization.
It is not black or white.
It would be a concern if Bitmain didn’t sell their Asics, so yes the block chain could be centralized.

Why being suspicious ? Why do you seem opposing GPU Miners and Asic Miners ? Can’t we be both ? I have a few dozens of GPUs running and I am going to setup a few Equihash Asics as well. I am a Zcash miner like you, and I will keep mining because:

And if it takes a few devices to support the network with better efficiency, I will. Even if, I will receive a few less bucks because of the rising difficulty.

The manner this discussion has been started by Zooko is not professional and reflects poorly on ZCash.

Im bailing as there is clearly a lack of direction in the ZCash foundation. Meanwhile other privacy focused technologies are driving forward with vision and solid communication to their user base.

2 Likes

By the way, we’d better dedicate our energy to broadcast our belief and to convince people not involved, than trying to take a few market shares to the competitors in a small crypto world.

I am simply letting the ZCash foundation know my thoughts on the matter.

If you want an echo chamber go find it elsewhere.

I dont have any questions because its clear that Zooko is against ASIC resistance. The price of ZCash will reflect what a poor decision this is.

3 Likes

You can not reduce the community to few pro asic people.

1 Like

That is the most important thing. Nothing will change whatever we argument. Zcash is centralized by zooko him self before being under the threat of centralization by bitmain.

Wow Zooko, can’t believe my eyes! We currently have mining equipment from many different companies handling the network(EVGA, ASUS, Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte and so on) and you want to give over the control to Bitmain ENTIRELY? Because this is what’s going to happen once these ASICs get in. GPU miners will no longer be able to stay competitive, moreover why stay on a network where they are not wanted, so they’ll go, and all ZEC will be left with will be the Bitmain ASICs and complete centralization.

5 Likes

The centralisation argument of GPU vs ASICs is pretty simple really, ASICs require a relatively large and specific investment while a GPU does not, I know plenty of people who are mining Zcash using their gaming PCs while not playing, most of this will stop if the coin becomes dominated by ASICs. Mining becomes centralised around those who can afford to spend money on dedicated equipment.

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

I don’t know why we are debating this, Zcash company claims to be company they can be sued for breaking mission statement of ASCI resistant Zcash POW; which as clearly shown is not, with greater than x10 improvement in so short a period of time. This suggest ASCI for Zcash Equihash POW were probably in development before launch of Zcash crypto currency, anyone who says otherwise is not conversant with ASIC development.

What is happening is akin to Bitcoin developers suddenly changing the POW from SHA256 base over night to say Ethash, ignoring all the current Bitcoin miners which includes ASIC’s that is the magnitude of what is happening here; but they are to unethical to notice this, that is why this project is heading in the doomed direction.

2 Likes

I guess if I was an US citizen I would take legal actions. Any one willing to take this step I and I guess too many folks will behind him and will be supporting him to stop this nonsense.

Both are two faces of the same thing. High speed of ASICs means all GPUs and CPUs will be out of the network so you left zcoin to ASICs which bitmain makes them. Can you tell me how is this different from centralization?

While they are producing ethash ASICs there are still not a threat as their performance is not enough to drive away GPUs out of the network.

Good point, you saw the effect when China told the miners to leave the country. Suddenly single persons with 20.000 D3/S9 asked at datacenter in Norway/Sweden/Kanada if they can host their maschines. This migration of ASICs is a risk, too, when they don’t operate in a stable environment and forced out of business themselves.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: ASICs in Zcash Software / Proof of Work Fork Discussion

And next a 40,000 Sol/s equihash Asic for July:
https://asicminer.co/shop/asicminer-equihash

Its important to remember its pending analysis, it looks on good on paper as it was mentioned but its going to take time to really see if it even works
(And yes, ill stop talking about Mozi)

1 Like

Moved to ASICs in Zcash Software / Proof of Work/ Proof of Stake/ Fork Discussion - #13 by AdobeWriter

@boxalex Can you please move this PoS post to the conversation over in ASICs in Zcash Software / Proof of Work/ Proof of Stake/ Fork Discussion - #13 by AdobeWriter

(I can move it for you if you prefer)