MightyJaxx Exclusive Drop ft Cypherpunk Zero NFT

I’m sure the ECC has very good attorneys. Ask any of them whether or not the ECC was in breach.

4 Likes

Well, instead of blaming one party who is working on something tangible for Zcash, why not try to propose a solution? @hloo

I hope ZF and ECC can resolve this matter soon and learn from what has happened to avoid similar problems in the future. I will stop my personal comments in this thread going forward until some kind of resolution has been announced.

Talking as moderator:

Please be respectful and assume good intentions from the people you’re talking to. This forum is a harassment-free zone.

7 Likes

It’s clear who still pulls the strings in this relationship. A bit ironic, considering this part of their core values:

• Decentralization. We will strive to encourage decentralization of the protocols and networks that we support, avoiding the placement of trust or granting of capabilities to any single party (assigned or emergent). The Foundation will not seek to place itself in a position of control over the Zcash community. Whenever current technology does not achieve perfect decentralization, we will seek to minimize, monitor, and mitigate centralization.

Ultimately, I think I know why. The Foundation controls a large amount of ZEC ($$$) and needs to cover their ass in an effort to continue to control that large amount. Otherwise they will go the route of the Bitcoin foundation: Bitcoin Foundation - Wikipedia

Longer term I would like to see more decentralization in Zcash land between all parties involved (ZOMG, ECC, ZFND, etc).

3 Likes

Please avoid replies unrelated to the original topic in this thread @pkr

Cheers.
tokidoki - Moderator

7 Likes

Proposal for next time:

1. ECC emails ZF a copy of agreement with third party NFT creator.
  2. ZF reads agreement.
  3. ECC and ZF both execute short contract essentially stating that they mutually agree to license mark to third party.
  4. ECC executes agreement with third party NFT creator.
  5. Enjoy your NFTs.

No attorneys necessary.

11 Likes

This looks like a dysfunctional marriage. The wife takes the shared car to her friends house without asking. Then the husband goes over there and tells the friend she’s not allowed to take the car without asking. Chill out y’all.

4 Likes

On a positive note at least we know the checks and balances are working

5 Likes

In the interest of reassuring the community and avoiding any misunderstanding, I just want to say that Andy at ECC responded to my email overnight in a professional and constructive manner, and I expect we’ll make progress on resolving this issue over the coming week. I’d like to be able to say “days” instead of “week” but the timezones involved aren’t ideal which is unfortunate but unavoidable. :upside_down_face:

For my part, I think it’s best if we work together to resolve this issue in private, so I don’t plan to post anything further publicly for while we do that. I hope that the next update will be to the effect that the issue has been resolved, and the campaign launch is all steam ahead! :bullettrain_front:

16 Likes

With all respect to @Dodger, ZF and everyone in the forum—this is all so laughable and absurd. If you believe such a high level of mindless bureaucracy will help Zcash win, you are sorely mistaken and our trust in you is misplaced. Look at the wider market. Zcash was once the only zk show in town. We’re getting outcompeted by younger, scrappier projects on virtually every front and it shows in the token price.

As far as I can tell, ECC is attempting to do something positive for our community and your solution involves pushing papers around your desk and posturing with legalese. How incredibly disheartening!

While everyone involved may share some blame for a breakdown in communication, the bureaucracy must be reigned in for Zcash to succeed. Use common sense, please!

4 Likes

I’m happy to be able to share the news that we have today (3rd February 2022) agreed with the Electric Coin Company (ECC) that, as far as the Zcash Foundation is concerned, the proposed collaboration between ECC and MightyJaxx can proceed.

We look forward to seeing Cypherpunk Zero! :smiley:

19 Likes

Thanks Jack.

For the record, ECC acted properly and in accordance with the agreement. There was no breach. This was simply a misunderstanding as MJ was acting as a contractor on behalf of ECC and not granted a license.

I appreciate Jack and the Zfnd taking its obligations to protect the mark seriously, professionally, and working with us to resolve its concern.

11 Likes

Sounds like a blip in the processes. It happens.

But most importantly the expectation now is that ECC and Zfnd have adjusted these processes (and communicated these processes to one another) to account for similar scenarios and prevent this type of event from happening again :+1:.

4 Likes

I’ve been coming back to this over and over in my mind ever since I read it. It was funny, and tokidoki was making a valid point, but I keep coming back to it because…

The Zcash community needs to stop looking to ECC and ZF as mom and dad. You are Zcash. What happens to Zcash is up to you.

14 Likes

Don’t forget everyone’s favourite uncle, ZCG.

9 Likes

New launch date: Feb 23rd

5 Likes

With 200 available are these first come first served after the timer finishes?

3 Likes

Hey everyone—we’re stoked to announce that launch is a go :rocket:

Tomorrow, Feb. 23rd at 9am ET, ECC’s Cypherpunk Zero campaign officially launches. Inspired by Zcash and Halo cryptography, Cypherpunk Zero is a collaborative effort between ECC, illustrator Stranger Wolf, select ecosystem partners, and Mighty Jaxx. The project explores the relationship between privacy, self-sovereignty and creative freedom.

Set in the near future, our story is centered on Zero, a young cypherpunk hacker and freedom fighter, as she navigates the intersection of the real and virtual worlds, attempting to create a brighter future with a new set of revolutionary technological discoveries that promise to tilt the balance of power towards a more democratized Internet (“Web3”).

At 9am ET on Feb. 23rd, you can start your journey via the immersive comic prologue on the campaign’s microsite (URL to be released via Twitter). Throughout the year, we will continue the storyline with a forthcoming series of webcomics, NFTs and physical collectibles.

In line with the campaign launch, a limited edition Zero collectible toy will be available for presale on the Mighty Jaxx website on Feb. 23rd at 9am ET. There will only be 200 units ever made. Each toy comes bundled with an Ethereum NFT (one in a collection of 10,000 unique generative Cypherpunk Zero NFTs). As such, if you decide to purchase a toy, you will also be asked to provide your Ethereum address and pay for gas fees up front in fiat dollars. The NFT will then be airdropped to your wallet of choice.

For those who cannot participate in the release of the toy, the remaining NFTs will be dropped for free (user just pays gas costs) throughout 2022. We will also have giveaways for those who cannot afford gas fees.

This campaign was >6mo in the making and had the support of tons of amazing humans. Of note, a big thank you to the Zcash Community for serving as our inspiration and helping to make this possible. For more information, make sure you follow @ElectricCoinCo and @CypherpunkZero on Twitter.

11 Likes

Shhhh :shushing_face:

You’re not supposed to tell anyone or provide links so I have a better chance to get one… :wink:

2 Likes

Sry if I overlooked it but where do the proceeds (- gas) go?

The Jaxx website takes care of everything, pay the fee in $$, and give them a ETH address to send the NFT to. I believe the proceeds go to Jaxx (the manufacturer) and the NFT artist, and maybe ECC?

2 Likes