NU5 what holders should do?

Idk if there’s one specific to the ‘migration tool’ (prolly not) which is a feature one can (could) employ to automate the aggregation of the txs for you; the varying amounts and different taddys and times for the txs is done automatically. I think I remember hearing about a tool for this time but I cant remember. Anyways its only optional, you can certainly do all that yourself.

1 Like

I have another question. You said observer. Is it still Posibble to observ Z address transaction??

You’re right that naive migration between shielded pool would expose your balance (and by implication, perhaps history or identity). Unfortunately, the above countermeasure doesn’t suffice. It’s often easy to look at the chain and put the two parts back together algorithmically, e.g., by hypothesis testing. Identifying such splits is a standard technique in chain analytics.

@daira, what’s the status/plans for Orchard migration tooling?

3 Likes

Zaddys dont appear on the blockchain but all the transactions are observable. It would require more information (usually a high level of sophistication) to make any kind of correlation like monitoring your ip or something like that (also some people are stupid too and like post screenshots and use vanity tx fees etc).

1 Like

Yes, but purely on-chain leakage is also possible.

One simple example: it’s likely your ZEC wallet balance is a round number minus a small multiple of the standard tx fees.
I send 0.00269412 ZEC to your (public) Sapling address.
When you migrate, I find the two migration txs which sum to a round number minus a small multiple of the standard tx fees plus 0.00269412 ZEC.
Now I know your account balance.

Another example: I saw the shielding transaction you used to fund your Sapling zaddr (after, say, you bought ZEC on Coinbase and withdrew it to your taddr). Later, I see two migration txs that sum to exactly that, minus 0.3527 ZEC. Which happens to be the membership dues of the Caribou Hugging Club. You’re outed.

Far-fetched? Perhaps. But remember, this is on-chain, so there is all the time in the world for people to come up with new algorithms and heuristics, as well as dig up new data to correlate against.

4 Likes

All your ZEC stored within a T-address & Sapling Z-addresses can be transacted on the Zcash chain. The various wallet providers will have their own plans for adding support for Orchard U-address. And there will be a way to recover your ZEC as long as you secure your seed words(private keys) to your wallet.

The Zcash network is not deprecating support to any pool in this upgrade.

It would be good to know the recommendations around breaking down transaction amounts towards the migration flow for wallet developers to incorporate a similar, user-friendly experience.

Please post wallet related improvements & ideas here

1 Like

Zecwallet lite for Android is not NU5 ready and neither Zcash Foundation nor the developer have commented on its future. As of now its users will not be able to access the new features like Unified Addresses nor will their shielded transactions be in the Orchard pool.

Thread here: Zecwallet community reorg

1 Like

So nighthawk wallet should i choose??

Nighthawk is an alternative, yes. In my experience Nighthawk is painfully slow to sync with the network, on both highspeed wifi or mobile, thus making it virtually unusable.

ZecWallet Lite implemented some fast sync technology making it far more usable, but again, its future is unclear and it’s not NU5 ready. ZecWallet Lite is also tied to the lightwallet server of the developer and there is no way to change that, so it involves trusting the devs and the jurisdiction in which they operate.

The fastest wallet with the most features is Ywallet. Check it out. IMO its the best… Test all of them and you’ll see.

Zecwallet lite desktop version this day not work well. Icon menus cannot clicked. It stuck blank. Usually i can restore all my Z addresses in zecwallet lite desktop. And when i use that same seed phase on zecwallet lite android it just show 1 Z address. It must use private keys to get all my Z adresses. Now i try using nighthawk and do with the same seed phrase it shows just 1 Z address but i dont found where i can input/import private key menu? This is so frustating. It took so long to download n syncing.

What’s behind the politics of Ywallet not being listed on z.cash/wallets?

This lack of inclusion should give pause to the average user as it appears that Ywallet is not trusted or endorsed by the community: Y/ZWallet: mobile app (Q&A) - #43 by ChileBob

1 Like

I use it. Many Zcashers use it. There is politics behind it. The lack of inclusion has nothing to do with the dev work itself. @hanh has developed many things for Zcash. I suggest people to check it out…

Use at your own risk. Again, I find it concerning that a compatible shielded wallet, that claims to offer one of the fastest litewallet syncs, is not even mention on ECC or Halo wallet pages…

Either there are trust/endorsement issues or ECC needs to be clear as to why they’re not mentioning Ywallet/Zwallet despite being content to list closed source wallets, KYC exchange wallets, and other multicoin wallets.

1 Like

I do not find it concerning at all. It has nothing to do with the dev work or trust. Ywallet is the official wallet of Ycash. But if you dont want to use it, dont. The code is available on github.

I’m pretty sure it’s because it doesn’t use the SDK.

It’s crazy fast to sync, I use it all the time.

1 Like

I :heart: YWallet

Below is a very clear explanation by @joshs from ECC, which I’ve pasted from the Telegram Community. ZCG plans on funding audits for wallets later this year.

4 Likes

Thanks for the citation and feedback. I stear clear of wallets that haven’t been audited or do not have a track record of privacy/FOSS activism.

Unfortunately, IMO, there are no good mobile lite wallet options that are NU5 ready, fast to sync, and audited/supported by the ECC.

should ecc zec foundation provide clarity to new users how and should store their zec in what wallet or can only store users’ zec in a transparent exodus wallet to face the upcoming nu5 31 may

1 Like