Questions for a Zcon3 Town Hall session

During Zcon3, we plan to have a “Town Hall”-style session where members of the Zcash Foundation and Bootstrap boards of directors answer questions submitted and upvoted by the community.

Please post the questions you would like answered in this thread. The questions with the most likes will be prioritized.

11 Likes
  1. The Zcash ecosystem has been heavily (relatively speaking) funded for >5 years. Why is there not a wallet of 1000000% quality that any Zcash evangelist can tell a new user to download and use for a fast, simple, painless interaction with ZEC

For a long time it felt like Zec Wallet lite was that thing, but during the recent network upgrades and during the NFT minting period, there have been hundreds of users that experienced terrible interactions with Zcash by way of transactions vanishing, abhorrent wallet sync times, and other UI errors

8 Likes

Is it best to keep ZCASH as a special purpose tool, or should it be expended to have a computational ability? What are see as pros and cons?

11 Likes

In many ways Zcash is {computer science, mathematics, economics} U {infosec, political science, cypherpunks}. The slope of this massive learning curve is necessarily steep and intimidating and yet the folks who will ultimately make/break the success of the project have barely scratched the surface of what needs to be understood. What three things should be prioritized to help bridge this shortcoming and what parallels from other areas of study can be used as models?

12 Likes

What does ECC feel is the best approach to deal with the transaction spam problem?

10 Likes

What are the steps to be taken and rough timetable for making zcash more quantum resistant?

5 Likes

It has been quite disappointing recently to see bickering and animosity between leaders in the Zcash ecosystem from both ECC and ZF.

But it has been encouraging to hear that leadership of both orgs have been taking steps to address these issues, and start to rebuild trust.

I’m sure this will be a discussion topic anyway, but asking here as I think it is important for the community to hear (at least in broad terms) about what steps are being taken to improve relations going forward.

9 Likes

With the outreach we have done so far as part of the ZGo grant, we are finding that even people that report an interest in cryptocurrency have little knowledge of Zcash.

Are there plans to bring awareness of Zcash to the non-crypto audience? For example, something like ZF sponsoring a chess tournament, with prizes paid in ZEC.

10 Likes

Any updates from the discussions with the Proton team?

4 Likes

Currently, in terms of making protocol upgrades and under the trademark agreement, Zcash is a 2-of-2 multisig governance model between the Zcash Foundation and the Electric Coin Company. There’s ZCAP, but it’s only an “advisor” to the Foundation; the polls are ultimately non-binding and the Foundation can vote against ZCAP’s recommendation. Similarly, ECC uses coin holder polling to gauge community sentiment and inform its decisions, which is also non-binding.

I strongly believe more needs to be done to continue to diffuse power and become more decentralized, and that, over time, more power should be given to the community and ZEC holders.

Two questions for the members of both boards of directors:

1. How can we better integrate the community and ZEC holders into the governance process in a formal and binding manner?

2. What does the next iteration of Zcash governance look like?

14 Likes

Is Zcash more then just mainnet? And does the ZEC based Dev Fund bias engineering decisions and/or innovation in a negative way?

2 Likes

Should ZF (or someone else) implement “programmable Zcash” on a “friendly fork”?

Edit: and work out the economics later (e.g. a pegged/floating native token? No native token and a proof that fees have been paid on the ZEC chain).

2 Likes

Describe your best purchase experience using zec? What would be a product or service you wish you could complete a purchase?

6 Likes

The network and wallets are struggling under the continued spam attack. Is this the optimal state of the network? What is being done to address it?

1 Like

Many exchanges and multi coin wallets that support Zcash broke when NU5 happened. This had a very detrimental effect on Zcash reputation. Perhaps only being overshadowed by the ongoing spam attack.

How proactive, if at all, should ECC be to reach out to those third party providers to make sure that they have the tooling to be able upgrade and support ZEC on their platforms?

2 Likes

I recently quit my job at the Zcash Foundation because the drama and hostility in this ecosystem made it unattractive for me to desire contributing in an official capacity. I was reached out to by people who worked at ECC with messasges of compassion, people who left for similar reasons. And as we all know, Shawn also left.

In what ways will the Electric Coin Co and the Zcash Foundation work towards changing the dynamic between each other, so that they not only foster a positive community, but also keep their staff motivated to continue wanting to contribute to Zcash?

8 Likes

In the context of private smart contracts, does Zcash devs have any idea how to handle private computations where the participants don’t reveal their inputs to each other, without the use of trusted hardware or managers? If computations are to be made off-chain, it seems to me that vision has been given up.

1 Like

The vast majority of cryptocurrencies today have more use cases than being a store of value and method of payment. This is mostly thanks to their programmability nature. Is there an ETA for when Zcash could potentially become programmable?

1 Like

Which people are you guys talking with to gather information regarding Zcash’s PoS transition? Are you talking with Ethereum people, Cosmos people, Avalanche people?

1 Like