Trezor support for Zcash shielded transactions

Currently, on the Trezor’s firmware github branch is discussing the concept of programming the hardware core of the device firmware.

3 Likes

Dear Zcash community,

I was not able to finish the milestone 3 in March as I planned initially. Since NU5 deployment got delayed by 8 months , I was missing testing tools and codebase stability. In the next 2.5 months I had to switch my focus to finishing my master degree. I returned to the project two weeks ago.

I estimate submission of milestone 3 to the end of July.

Trezor Suite implementation will follow. It could get stacked by lack of Orchard support in light client, but GitHub - zingolabs/zingolib: An API and test-app that exposes zcash functionality for app consumption seems to be a promissive project to fill this gap.

Aforementioned “Support for new Zcash transaction type” in Suite release v22.6.2 related to the version 5 transparent transactions. As Zcash core accepted some changes in the ZIP-244 (which we proposed), signing transparent transactions on a hardware wallet has become significantly more effective after NU5 activation.

15 Likes

Thank for the update! @agi

Hopefully your study is going well. Also, shout out to zingolabs team for innovating on light wallet front.

cc @zancas @dannasessha and others whose handle I don’t remember :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

22.6.4 came out today for Trezor live, not pre-release. Also trezor live should prompt you to update. It says it supports the new zcash transaction type. I haven’t tested it yet.

1 Like

As previously mentioned, this relates to v5 transparent transactions.

2 Likes

In the future, will all trezor models allow shielded transactions (using a PC which has enough RAM).
What about the smaller version like Trezor model one and the “other known brand” Ledger Nano S?

1 Like

Shielded transactions for Trezor One are planned after rewriting its firmware from C to Rust.

For shielded transactions for Ledger Nano S see these links:

tl;dr: Sapling transactions for Ledger Nano S were implemented but never integrated.

7 Likes

They were integrated in ywallet.

2 Likes

To clarify, this is not in production, right? If not, then I might be using an old version of Ywallet

1 Like

It seems like this still isn’t released yet. Has anyone heard when this might be available so that Trezor devices can support shielded addresses and transactions?

1 Like

very soon *)

8 Likes

I don’t think I’m the only one that is waiting for a more user friendly way to do cold storage in the shielded pool. I think this will make a significant difference.

7 Likes

Hello, the actual status is:

• We added support for Zcash unified addresses few days ago, after some memory optimizations.
  • Firmware integration of shielded addresses and payments is ready for review, which will start next week. You can check this pull request for more details.
  • We have a Trezor Suite integration kickoff meeting on 14.9.
21 Likes

Thank you, i really appreciate the update. I’m very much looking forward to trying it in the very near future.

2 Likes

Hi there,

First, I want to thank you for your hard work on this project, and congratulate you on finishing your Master’s! Getting Trezor support for shielded storage and txns is one of my most looked forward to grants in this space.

Second, I do have a question about which syncing method you are thinking of using. As you probably know, syncing the growing blockchain has been the bottleneck in recent months, causing many wallets to become virtually unusable. The wallet many of us have had luck with - Ywallet - uses an algorithm called warp sync, which, for me, has made Zcash still nearly 100% functional during the last few months. I am aware that warp sync is only for Sapling, so I am curious what Trezor’s thinking is regarding syncing for their Orchard support.

Thank you!

5 Likes

My 2 zats: this project should adopt the fastest sync algo available for Orchard in ECC-supported librustzcash.

2 Likes

Yeah, as @tokidoki said, we will use the fastest sync algo available.

It should be possible to use Warp sync for Orchard too, since it exploits the Merkle tree structure, not some Sapling-specific cryptography (as far as I understand it).

5 Likes

Understood, thanks!

1 Like

Hi! According to this link, everything looks without movement. Any information please. We are all here looking forward to the news.

4 Likes

2 Likes