Useful cases for Zcash

Hey all!

When I was reading this post from @joshs , I thought about the following paragraph:

We’re starting with users

We recently began capturing user feedback, evaluating impact, assessing team skill, evaluating timelines, and designing and prioritizing features. At every juncture, we consider what will deliver the most value for the most amount of ZEC holders. In this case, value is broadly defined and may vary based on the type of user (persona) and use case. We weigh everything against where we believe the market is heading and various considerations, such as the regulatory environment, geographic reach and other factors.

I like this, but let’s think about it: can we be great successful by creating value for the ZEC holders?
By great success, I mean the widespread use and popularization of the coin among many new users.
Now we are all thinking about staking options, about options for ZSA, but in reality, all this will work as before for a narrow audience, which already have ZEC.

It is unlikely that staking has value when the market is already filled with super profitable seaking options. Of course, I understand that these options do not have a limit of 21 million, but you can see everything for yourself. In this market, people think very badly. People have been waiting for a long time that XRP will grow to $100, regardless of it supply. People buy doge. People spend money on JPEG. People don’t give a damn that Zcash is 21 million until they see an any “pump”. Therefore, staking itself has no advantage for new users. Only for us. The same is with the assets of the ZSA. This is a cool tool for the future, when and if Zcash returns the position of the desired asset. But for now, it may be deadborn, since people prefer ether with large commissions to other more sensible solutions.

How to attract new people? How to explain to them the value that Zcash can give them?

There is a wonderful video about ZEC payment. I like it and such things need to be advertised. Why need the advertising?

But we need more use cases. Lots of use cases! I’m sure we need to brainstorm about Zcash’s utility models, which could be of interest to new users, not from a tokenomics point of view, but from a practical point of view in our real world.

We know about donations. This is a super practical idea and it need active of distribution.

Every time I cross the border and see the inscription that the maximum allowance of funds is 10,000 euros, I smile. And you understand why. I don’t have that kind of money with me, that is, it is always with me and there is much more of it. But they are only in my mind.

Zcash is offshore. No it’s better than just an offshore! Zcash is mobile offshore.

It is a KEY Key to great success!

I remember how some people paid double price for bitcoins that were never on an exchange. Double the price! With Zcash, I can “reset” the history of any of the coins simply by moving it to Zaddr.
This is value! And if I can also spend it directly for services and goods, then this makes the best option of all the available opportunities on the crypto market. I can be a simple guy with great potential. But I don’t need to declare this, and therefore I do not need to hide myself. I can just be a simple guy! To hell with private beaches, to hell with guards, I might just be an ordinary person lost in the crowd. And banks don’t call me with their stupid proposals, to me don’t write from pseudo-charitable funds, the tax authorities don’t torment me.

Who can say this about transparent Bitcoin?

Therefore, if someone mines Zcash to convert it to Bitcoin, it is only because we still have not been able to explain to him the benefits that he receives using the Zcash shielded addresses.

We should look for opportunities to spread our message, not look for opportunities to prohibit doing what we do not like. I live in an area where by tradition, prohibitions are preferred over market mechanisms… This is the worst stimulus option, it introduces new problems and leads to the extinction of entire sectors of the economy.

17 Likes

Good points.

One “killer” features is still Zecpages, I think. It could use some rebranding, but I think that it should be fully funded enough for @BrunchTime to work on it full-time.

If you can slap a pretty UI on it, + add native support on major ZEC wallets, it could be the social network that pro-privacy advocates latch onto.

The potential is huge for that to get people “involved” in using zcash outside of spending it or holding it.

7 Likes

ZOMG did approve a grant for ZecPages improvements but they ran into some issues:

2 Likes

I think the idea of Zecpages whether it’s that or something else, is extremely valuable. Could the ECC ever apply for a grant? E.g. put together a team of people like with Balaji, maybe @BrunchTime coming in as an advisor/CEO?

One can dream, I guess.

3 Likes

lol there is no one like balaji and adding nice UX requires a frontend engineer not futurist!

I have an open grant application for Elemental ZEC, a component library which I hope can be used to build Zcash apps and improve UI in apps such as ZECpages :slight_smile:. I’m thinking of having a go at building a third party client for ZECpages, and possibly adding support for the memo.cash protocol, together with a beautiful UI, and my hope is that some of it could be upstreamed back to ZECpages.

I think that ZECpages would work really well as a protocol that multiple apps can build a front-end on top off (by importing the viewing key), and manage moderation as they see fit, similar to the memo.cash protocol. I’m interested in having a go at working on wallet support, so you can tip for tweets, or a ZECpages post for example, and have a preview embedded inside of a wallet (opt-in to protect privacy though of-course).

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, tbh.

I’ve helped build component libraries when I was a front-end engineer at various tech companies (LinkedIn, Nextdoor, Workday).

Lmk if you need any help kicking the tires when you get something out.

1 Like

Thanks!

Would be great, thanks! Have you worked with React.js or styled-components? :smiley: I’m planning to build on top of react-primitives and styled-components first, but want to experiment with SwiftUI and Jetpack Compose later too. Alan B Smith works at Workday, his writing has inspired a lot of my work :slight_smile:: Understanding Component Hierarchy & Layered Components. Applying Progressive Disclosure to Your… | by Alan B Smith | Medium

I have extensive experience writing JS. Since the '90s I’ve been building personal websites to showcase various progs that I made or found and used (AOL text faders, password crackers, chatroom scrollers, etc.).

I’ve built components from scratch (plain js, then various libraries such as scriptaculous, mootools, jQuery, etc) for lots of my side projects (and some small startups at the start of my professional career). Eventually, latched onto Backbone due to the MV* structure as my apps got more complex. That led me to become a Backbone + Marionette maximalist (our first major front-end “framework” at LinkedIn was a wrapped version of Backbone known as Backbone.LI).

When I was at Nextdoor, I introduced Backbone initially, but due to project complexity and bringing new engineers up to speed, we ran into growing pains, so explored other options and eventually we migrated over to React when it started gaining traction. This allowed me to experiment with react styling libraries as well.

Emotion, styled-components, along with component libs such as antd, material-ui, and for some personal side projects lately, I’ve been using Chakra-UI.

Sounds like your plan is pretty good: focus on the web and then explore other native options. I’ve always focused on the web/mobile web because I refuse to let it be marginalized by major tech companies which they do by limiting the progress of native mobile browsers.

The best advice I can give is to use whatever you’re comfortable in and can build with the fastest, and then just create a nice API layer on top of it since that’s what most of these component libraries do under the hood anyway.

1 Like

Chakra-UI is great, my project elemental-react is similar to it (based on styled-system, but adds React Native and React Sketch.app support :slight_smile:. I’ll probably standardise some stuff like the hover API with Chakra-UI’s API – will allow for cool stuff like unit testing and pixel diffs of all possible UI states.

:+1: Yup, my main goal is just to build a nice API layer that I wish existed, but doesn’t :smiley: Development speed should be the main priority, together with a nice designer feedback loop. And to build something less opinionated than Material Design.

2 Likes

Sounds great. Hope you get the funding.

2 Likes