Very basic zcash.conf Password issue

So,

I installed Zcash and used this install video from zcash-site:

After typing that point

“echo “rpcpassword=head -c 32 /dev/urandom | base64” >> ~/.zcash/zcash.conf”

and pressing enter, my terminal wont show me the usual “user@JustDoIt:~$”-Line, instead it just showed “>” for the rest of the terminal commands. So I ran “zcashd”, and it connects, validates and downloads… seems legit.

BUT: my zcash.conf file just shows two lines: “rpcuser=username” and “gen=1”

What have I done wrong and how can I set up a random password afterwards? Just insert the rpcpassword… line? It gotta be more difficult, or not?

Sorry for basic questions like this, but at least noobs like me help the network. :smiley:

Please help me.

What is it you are wanting to do? The answer to that question will help us help you.

Basically I just wanted a wallet for ZCash on Ubuntu 16.04. Now it says me “mining will start after downloading…” , which is cool but not my first intention. But for my Linux-Skillz are pretty simple, I dont know how to configure ZCash right, especially for security.

Does this help? :slight_smile:

I’m unsure as to why:

echo “rpcpassword=head -c 32 /dev/urandom | base64” >> ~/.zcash/zcash.conf

would not have added a random rpcpassword= to you zcash.conf .

However, you only really require a set rpcuser= and rpcpassword= if you intend to use GPU mining software directly onto the wallet.

Your zcashd is starting because … “Since Bitcoin Core 0.12, an RPC password is no longer required for normal operation. Instead, a random password is automatically generated by bitcoind (or zcashd) and stored in a temporary file on disk. When an RPC client (like bitcoin-cli or zcash-cli) wants to connect, it automatically uses the password from this file.”

However, you should navigate to your zcash.conf via the terminal with:

sudo nano ~/.zcash/zcash.conf

and add / amend the following example:

listen=1
server=1
port=8233
rpcport=8232
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcuser=xxxxxxxxxx
rpcpassword=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=
maxconnections=8
addnode=mainnet.z.cash

The echo command is simply generating a ‘random’ rpcpassword for you. As you don’t need to know or remember this password for anything (because your just going to be running a wallet) you can add your own rpcuser and rpcpassword. You could use a random base64 password generator online to effectively provide an example!

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.”

Adding rpcallowip=127.0.0.1 will only allow rpc connections from the localhost (i.e. your own pc), so that increases security considerably.

You likely wont need to add gen=1 as that will only solo mine with your computers CPU and at the current network difficulty you would be very very unlikely to mine a single block.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot, I ll try this.

Just in case, here 's a terminal-response, I just got from updating: