Zcash data format

Are there plans to change the format of the blockchain data stored on a full node, either in the blocks or in the chain state directories? I saw something I think on GitHub about changing to SQL but don’t know if that is happening.

@daira, since you are an author of the spec, do you know about this? Thanks!

1 Like
1 Like

I can’t tell from the GitHub discussions if this is definitely happening. Also unclear if all the data files will be changed or just some subset.

I’m curious about this since we don’t currently have great blockchain analysis tools for Zcash and switching to sql might make things easier. Also the current format seems to get corrupted occasionally.

No. The discussions are around changing the wallet database (BDB). The blockchain data (concatenated network bytes) and the chain state (LevelDB) aren’t being considered at the moment.

4 Likes

Like…
Select all transactions from Zcash where fee<0.001;
?

That would be so cool!

1 Like

These would only change the wallet database (currently stored as wallet.dat, not the chain data). There might be some refactoring of what is considered wallet data: it’s likely that we will split long-term keys from data that can be reconstructed.

4 Likes