Zcash Thorchain Integration Grant

Hey all, I want to provide a brief update on the current status of Zcash <> Thorchain integration.

Bifrost interface implementation is 60% completed and Veado(xchanjs) has reviewed the ZEC xchainjs implementation and suggested alternate implementation without using type casts. 18th Jan was scheduled to be the 3rd milestone delivery, but last month, @vamsi & xchainjs devs contracted COVID infection which set us back by 3 weeks behind schedule. It was a serious health issue and I’m glad that both the devs recovered strongly. It is in times like these that remind us that health is everything. The devs have recovered well and plan to get through the remaining work as soon as possible.

After raising the PRs for review, here is the schedule shared by Leena from Thorchain:

1. Review the UTXO Bifrost Logic List by Pluto (9R) and make sure ZCASH meets all logic requirements
  2. Submit to HildisvíniÓttar for a vulnerability review
  3. Submit your node-launcher update to Fandral for a review
  4. Submit your xchain-zcash PR to veado
  5. Identify a THORChain ecosystem wallet who will flagship your launch and work to get it integrated.
  6. Launch ZCASH on stagenet

This is as far as it will get. It will sit on stagenet for a few weeks for stability, then sometime after that be merged into mainnet and flagged for launch.

We’ll follow up on this update in the regular monthly @NighthawkApps update.

21 Likes

Hope the crew is feeling better! Have we submitted PR for review yet? :pray:

5 Likes

Per the last update, the sign transaction portion is pending. As soon as it’s ready, Zcash should be good to enter the PR review and stagenet schedule.

4 Likes

Didn’t see that there. Appreciate it.

2 Likes

Bump 3 months later, can anyone provide an update on this project?

The Thorchain updates have moved to the @NighthawkApps Monthly Update.
The testing work was underestimated and is currently ongoing. The team is committed to delivering all the requirements as per the updated Thorchain Steps to add a new chain criterion.

Additionally, Thorchain is focussing on L1 swaps only after the recent UST-Luna debacle.

6 Likes

It’s interesting to see the official Thorchain Twitter account shitting on Zcash in comparison to Monero.

6 Likes

thinking that Mixing > Cryptography, is one reason i will never use Thorchain tech :smiley:
i like Monero too tho

There is a large Monero community presence pushing for XMR integration on Thorchain.

In other news, my team has onboarded an experienced Python developer to help finish the Milestone 3 of Zcash integration on Thorchain.

8 Likes

I don’t even think it is true, right? With Monero, the anonymity for txns is based on the decoy set per txn. Whereas with Zcash, the anonymity is based on the pool of shielded txns (much larger than Monero).

Another example of “if you don’t define the narrative, it will be defined for you.”

Now, if they were mocking Zcash for having chain bloat and one working shielded light wallet, then I guess that would be fair game :rofl:

3 Likes

Yep; they don’t know what they’re talking about. The anon set for a Monero tx is just the 10 decoys. 9 of which might be known to a tx-flooding attacker who’s willing to pay the majority of tx fees for a few months.

7 Likes

Are there any means to keep these development efforts prioritized? Shielded ZEC available on Thorchain would be a huge leap forward to the context of allowing people to acquire ZEC in a fully private way.

5 Likes

Follow the @NighthawkApps monthly updates.
@vamsi has been keeping up with Thorchain updates, new processes and integrating the various codebases to get transparent ZEC on Thorchain.
The idea has always been the ability to swap & withdraw ZEC from Thorchain & Auto-shield it in a wallet.

6 Likes

I agree. It has been one year now with no updates. Where did this grant money go?

@Blazin8888 - Here’s the most recent update from December 5th:

1 Like

After several attempts to communicate with Adi and the Nighthawk team over the past two weeks, with no meaningful response, and in light of the slow progress on the Thorchain grant since its approval in November 2021, the Zcash Community Grants committee has unanimously decided to cancel the remaining milestones of this grant, which total $103,304.

ZCG recognizes the urgent need for DEX support for Zcash and is committed to exploring alternative solutions to meet this need.

13 Likes

and again the nighthawk team has under delivered, i hope this was the last grant that they received!

2 Likes

all sunk costs. just need to keep plugging the leaks.

1 Like

:clap:

[10 char]

5 Likes

The track record has not been very good. From the screenshots you posted at twitter it is clear that you were not very responsive, replying back after weeks to Dan(received message on dec 5 and replied back on jan 18, that also when he contacted you back and then too asked him to get in touch with vamsi). Its seems you have taken this grant for granted.

Btw I am just curious about where are your devs based at? In particular Vamsi?
For a team based out in India, I can easily hire the best of talent for half that you have already received.

Only thing that will change my mind about your team’s work is that if you deliver on the rest of the entire work and then ask for the release of the pending milestone payments.

4 Likes