ZEC šŸ¤ Cosmos?

From the latest ECC article:

The possible use cases are as numerous as with any Defi system. One example might be the ability to purchase an NFT using shielded ZEC, allowing the purchaser privacy by shielding onlookers from prior transactions and ZEC holdings. Another example use case might be the ability to loan ZEC for yield where the originator of the loan remains private.

Does this mean ZEC is actively pursuing to become an IBC-compatible Cosmos Zone?

On a similar note, KEEP Network is soon launching a NuCypher collaborative solution for tBTC v2. Considering Mattā€™s @mhluongo past activity in here, is there a tZEC solution thatā€™s actively being researched/built at the moment?

9 Likes

Good questions, I think @joshs may have more info about the Zcash + Cosmos cooperation.

5 Likes

We are evaluating it as a possibility. More on that soon.

As for tZEC, I believe itā€™s still on the radar, but to my knowledge, not actively being worked on.

6 Likes

Good question. For those new to Cosmos, Iā€™d recommend playing with the Interchain Liquidity Lab (aka OSMO Dex) to see how it works. Keplr works on PC and mobile and has become not only easy to use, it is almost fun. I see app chains like
Screenshot_2022-05-29_10-41-36 becoming useful if this route is taken. (ZSAā€™s) . Without a doubt the killer application for anything Crypto is stable coins, but we still lack a private option that I think might be possible moving forward. The idea of scaling horizontally with chain apps really appeals to me :nerd_face:

Another example:

Celestia is the first modular blockchain network that makes it effortless to deploy a new blockchain. It allows sovereign blockchains to break free from the constraints of monolithic architectures so that they can build with flexibility and freedom on their own terms. Celestia has no smart contract features; it only orders data and checks to see if it is available. This is because smart contracts are only necessary for blockchains where applications will live. This decoupling of features alleviates some of the largest problems that hold back blockchains from scaling.

Another visual: https://hub.mintscan.io/ibc-network

1 Like

Wondering if Cosmos is currently the only bridge from zcash to agoric.

1 Like

Does Zcash has a bridge to Cosmos?

1 Like

No clue, this was me phrasing a rhetorical question. Iā€™m really bummed out/confused why $ZEC wasnā€™t initially apart of the agoric tech stack or a mechanism for minting IST or BLD. Seems like there wasnā€™t even a public discussion about the two projects working together(arenā€™t they both Bootstrap entities?) on this forum or anywhere public.

2 Likes

No, Agoric is a completely different project. Bootstrap/ECC has a stake in them as far as we know and thatā€™s it. Nothing that suggests ZEC will be used in Agoric in the near term.

1 Like

Update: Added the fact that Zookoā€™s on BoD of both orgs.

Agoric.com is an independent company, and Bootstrap owns some equity. Zooko is on the board of directors of both organizations. ECC & Agoric teams like each other and chat occasionally, but thereā€™s not tight coordination or control of the two separate companies.

We have chatted with them about integrating ZEC prior to their launch. Thatā€™s always something on my radar at ECC. However, my personal understanding is that there are three main possibilities for integrating ZEC into the Agoric platform:

• Develop Zcash-chain specific integration on Agoric. They chose to use a general platform (Cosmos) which makes sense from their perspective, because it integrates into a broad ecosystem instead of one chain. It also makes sense technically, since a Zcash integration would be bespoke and custom, whereas Cosmos allows them to build on an SDK and have a standard interface to a large number of chains.
  • Develop an Agoric bridge on Zcash: ECC simply hasnā€™t had the resources for this yet. Furthermore, since theyā€™ve adopted Cosmos, this task is reduced to ā€œadd IBC protocol to Zcashā€, which is something weā€™re investigating.
  • Establish a custodial bridge, like WZEC for Agoric. Neither ECC nor Agoric.com is in a position to be a custodian (huge regulatory hurdles, huge operational risk, completely different specialty versus protocol development). We also have not yet found a custodian who would want to launch and operate such a custodial-bridge, but this may be a possibility in the future.

Of these three, the second seems most promising, and ECCā€™s stated roadmap includes ā€œcross-chain interoperabilityā€ as one of three priorities (along with wallet UX and proposing a Proof-of-Stake transition.).

Meanwhile, Zcashers should be asking ā€œwhy Agoric versus other alternatives or priorities?ā€ I agree that we shouldnā€™t over-prioritize them. However, I personally feel fairly confident in their value proposition on two fronts:

• Their smart contract programming model is superior to Ethereum and most Ethereum-likes. This is constantly reinforced as I learn about Ethereum smart contract security & UX failures, and I believe Agoricā€™s model is a >10x improvement on both security and UX. (They are also active in Cosmos IBC protocol specifications which I believe will be a boon to Cosmos interop security/UX as well.)
  • The target language is Javascript which has something over 100x as many developers versus ā€œsmart contractā€ developers.

That being said, the platform is still very early and there are many challenges to widespread adoption.

So thatā€™s my braindump on ECC & Agoric.com and Zcash+Agoric tech. Keep in mind, Iā€™m not the one at ECC who is most often engaging with other industry partners like Agoric, and so my perspective may be limited or skewed.

13 Likes

Extremely helpful response, thank you! I know theyā€™re an independent project but back when ECC made the announcement that they were investors, I assumed (incorrectly) there would be some collaboration. My naive investment mind instantly went to ā€œthis is how zcash gets integrated into smart contracts and defiā€.

I am super excited about Agoric and totally agree with your points above.

4 Likes

This wasnā€™t an incorrect assumption. Agoricā€™s focus has been a successful launch and ours has been NU5, and now research on PoS and interop. There are a lot of things to work through but we have a strong relationship, idealogical alignment, and we actively spend time exploring possibilities.

8 Likes

This tweet has some good info :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Original Poster here :wave:
forgot to renew an old domain, now that account is r.i.p.

The ā€œsecure programmingā€ argument has also been used by Tezos (OCaml, & arguably yet another dPoS chain). Vyper is a security-focused EVM alternative.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s much of an argument; Lisk tried to use the same angle during a time when the ratio between solidity & javascript devs was MUCH more in favor than it is now (also dPoS). That was 2016, ETHā€™s market share seemed much less engrained back then yet they still failed to attract any talent.

All to say that I donā€™t believe Agoric to be a 10x improvement; if anything, IBC EVM chains like EVMOS could seamlessly port empirically safe dapps over from Ethereum and if done right, ZEC would be able to inter-operate with ANY IBC chain, with no specific one in mind.

In designing the a Zcash IBC compatibility, please donā€™t forget the implications of rented security, max validator collusion, bonding periods & delegator inflexibility, 34% attacks (assuming weā€™d use Tendermint SDK)

:heart: happy to see my November post being resurrected though :heart:

2 Likes

BLD in the wild :eyes: please DYOR and have fun :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes
1 Like

Native OSMO coming to Coinbase.

:eyeglasses: One current way has been highlighted by ZecHub. :zebra: Encourage others to explorer, and have fun. :partying_face:

SideShift.ai
Squid

Bigger call out here is that Coinbase is supporting OSMO natively ā€“ this means Coinbase is officially supporting IBC. Awesome. :zebra:

Updated to include some ZecHub related videos for educational purposes!

8 Likes