Zfnd.org blocks Tor

I understand that these types of issues may take a reasonable time to resolve.

I have been monitoring the status of this issue—checking at least once or twice per day. After it was suggested that my OP may be administratively edited over my head, I have been editing OP with the dates and times when I checked to see if the issue had been resolved. I encourage the public to click the little pen icon at the top, and view the edit history. Javascript is required, but a forum account is not; please go ahead and look!

Five business days after I reported it, zfnd.org is still blocking Tor. I request an update.

It has been a long time since I ran any significant website; but when I did, I always maintained things in a way that I could easily switch hosts. That is a matter of independence and censorship-resistance. I think it is prudent, like backing up data. I suggest that if the Zcash Foundation is stuck in a position that it can’t easily tell its Tor-hating host to take a hike, some policies and procedures should be improved.

The Tor community used to maintain a list of Tor-friendly hosts on the old Tor Trac. (Not sure about now.) Tor-friendly hosts deserve our business; Tor-hating hosts do not! I think that if you reach out to the Tor community, people on the Tor side would be happy to help the Zcash Foundation find Tor-friendly hosting suitable to ZF’s technical requirements and its budget—ideally, payable with ZEC! :smiley_cat:

If this seems embarrassing to the Zcash Foundation, @anon35140610, I ask that you please consider how this feels to me as a Tor user and a Zcasher.

I have tried to get my friends into Zcash. Like likes like. My Bitcoiner friends tend to be Tor users—not people who maybe tried Tor once or twice, but people who use Tor on a daily basis.

I have gotten a sort of a “LOLWUT” reaction from my own friends, when I had to explain to them that, um, the privacy coin with hands-down absolutely the best on-chain privacy utterly lacks support for onions.

By the way, I suggest that the Tor Project’s Executive Director may be interested in knowing how and when that will be resolved. The Tor Project’s v2 onion deprecation deadline (onion) was 15 July 2021—one year ago today. Tor kicked v2 onions out of their own codebase nine months ago (onion). Not only it is fair to say that Zcash does not support onions: It would be dishonest to claim that Zcash supports onions. At this point, v2 onion support is like supporting the old v0/v1 “Hidden Services”: It does not qualify as “supporting onions”.

And it also leaves me in a difficult position to explain to my friends why the best privacy coin has governance and grantmaking processes run by a foundation whose website they can’t see, because it discriminates against Tor users.

Moreover, and more importantly in the big picture, I am disturbed by this circumstantial evidence that most Zcashers don’t use Tor. If Bitcoin.org or Bitcoin Core’s website (onion) were to block Tor for even a split-second, there would be a nuclear explosion! It would not go unnoticed.

Due to demand, community interest, and Tor usage by Bitcoin developers themselves, the shipping, release-version bitcoind had v3 onion support in Bitcoin Core v0.21.0, released 2021-01-14—over half a year before the Tor Project’s 2021-07-15 deadline. Bitcoin killed v2 onion from its own codebase, right after the v2 deprecation deadline. Because Bitcoiners care about this stuff. Where is the widespread interest from Zcashers? :crying_cat_face:

I wish to deal with that constructively. As an experienced privacy activist, I will be advocating for Zcashers to use Tor—to use Tor generally, to surf the Web with Tor Browser, to boycott chat networks that are notoriously hostile to Tor, and specifically to use Tor with Zcash. As a technical expert of some repute in other venues, I offer help and support to Zcashers who are interested in using Tor’s network-layer privacy together with Zcash’s blockchain privacy. And of course, I will be advocating for PGP as I have been doing since the 90s. If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do “crypto”!

I think that that would make a positive topic for Zcon3. I’d like to see if there is any reasonable way for me to contribute. Alas, I still cannot see the website. :pouting_cat: