2x GTX 1060 3GB - setting up my first miner

Tweaked it just a tiiiny bit to 69W and gives me average of 265 Sols each (3.86 Sol/W).

I don’t know how much you pay for electricity.

138w with 530 sol/s = profit of per month
Electricity 10 cents $73.79
20 cents $63.85
30 cents $53.91

180w with 600 sols/s = profit of per month
10 cents $81.82
20 cents $68.86
30 cents $55.90

So right now it is more profitable to spend more on electricity and get more coins.
Just a thought. Unless you pay super high rates above 30 cents per kw/h or the price of zec drops a lot below say $450. Put you will need to run your own numbers.

Yeah I’ve done the maths using online calculators and I suppose I could be making more profit, although there are few factors that keep me from pushing it to the limits:

1. electricity is in fact a bit more expensive here - around 0.17-0.18 cents
  2. I figure the cards might live longer when kept at lower power limit and temperatures
  3. as I’m new to this business I’d like to keep the risk at relatively low levels :wink:
  4. I like when everything is working at it’s most efficient settings

In addition I think I’d have to run them at ~100W each to get 600 sols/s. I really had to push them pretty hard to get 300 sols when I was doing some testing.

I have one Asus 1060 3gb dual with hynix ram. At 90w I can get 300 sol/s with +125 and +500 on DSTM.
Keep in mind there are really only 2 things that kill cards. Heat and voltage. If you are keeping them under 70 but preferably under 60, with a fan speed on 60%. Those cards will last longer then they will be useful for mining. Try to make as much as you can now. This year will see nvidia release the new cards. They could be up to 30 to 50% more efficient. As everyone switches to the new cards, the difficulty is sure to rise. These older cards will become almost useless within 1 year or so. Even at 90w and high clocks, you will make you investment back before they become useless. So now is the time to push them. Keep your temps reasonable and your fans not near max, and you will benefit from pushing them now. The 2080 ti is coming. Probably by summer. Hash rate 1000 to 1100 sol/s?? I am trying to crank out as much coin as soon as possible before the 1060 is left in the dust.

Thanks for the insight, I’ll consider that strategy.

No problem. Good luck. My 7 1060s are putting out almost 2200 sol/s. Rig has been up only 2 months, so I still have 3 more months if price holds to pay it completely off. Everyone estimates that nvidia will launch the 2080 in April. With almost all being snatched up by big miners. Most of us small guys might be able to get our hands on a couple by summer if we are lucky. My rig will hopefully be paid off By May. I will probably start a new one with the next gen cards. Maybe be able to sell the cards for 50% of cost. Right now they are going for more than cost. But with the new cards coming the used market will soon be flooded with cards. Until then I am pushing them close to their limits. While still maintaining 60c temps.
Edit. Price has fallen to 435 from 480 this morning. If we do another return to the 300 range, then you will need to run the math a bit more. I think zec is a sell at anything above 450 and a buy under 350.

if it can help you:

the GPU2 is a GTX 1060 3GB its getting 4.13 Sols/W, of course not every 1060 3GB can do it/handle it, I was lucky on this one.
the below Voltage/Frequency curve editor is accessible via CTRL+F. play with it, try to understand it. it can even out the power usage.

here we go if a old post of me: Mining with 1060 3gb cards - #9 by Uche32

4.13 is really impressive! Unfortunately I’m running it on linux so no afterburner or similar software.
But thanks anyway, I might play with it on my 1050.