Amazon.com 6 x RX 470/480 4/8GB GPU Mining Rig Shopping List - DIY

What do you guys think of the
asrock 990fx extreme 4 motherboard
Amd fx6300 black edition cpu
8gb ballistix sports ram

Setting up as the core of the miner?

Update now getting 345 Sols/s with silentarmy v5, using about 725 Watts of energy!

Completed 6x GPU Rig pic:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone mention a monitor and cable. I had some troubles when I tried to use a dvi-d adapter to analog cable and not a dvi-d cable from my RX 470 to the monitor. Could not get my h81 v2 to even boot. Took a few days to figure that one out.

To that note I just ordered a nice refurbished monitor and dvi-d/dvi-d cable from newegg…

and cable

did you run into any trouble or did everything work out of the box?
i am having some issues with my amd rig and thinking of getting the board you used that supports 7 gpu

What board BE?
What trouble?

here is the link to my post

He got:
345 S/s, 725 Watts (est), $2000, bottom shelf.

Part of mine:
20x i5-3570s slim desktops from Ebay on a 24 port switch:
345 S/s, 1000 Watts, $3000, top shelf + 1/2 (same rack as his)
99.9% uptime

GPUs for the non-professional miner are only 33% better? Tromp says CPUs might could have 40% more in increases coming (tops).

He’s going to get 0.05 ZEC per day at $170/ZEC if the price stops dropping (relative to daily coin production, so soon it will be $70), if no more GPUs are added, if no botnets get going, and if he technologically keeps up with existing miners. 0.05 x 170 = $8.5 per day minus 0.725 x 0.15 x 24 = $2.6 electricity pays for the rig after a year of mining. That’s pretty dismal.

sweet, that looks so nice! I was so tempted to get the MSI cards to match the board myself!
and love the shelf! smart move, you can easily add another rig anytime now

He’s only getting 57 S/s per GPU. Did he mess up getting the RX 470 4GB? Are there mods he needs to do? Should he be using claymore? $5.8 per S/s. 2 W per S/s.

Which motherboard do you guys recommend? I heard the asrock pro btc boards have issues? Or is that just a myth?

Most people recommend Asrock H81 Pro BTC or Asrock H97 Anniversary

I blew up a PSU with a Pro BTC board :stuck_out_tongue: (user error), I was using a mix of non powered and power risers back then ~2014.

The difference is that the BTC Pro supports molex on the board which isn’t needed now that everyone runs USB powered risers.

B85 anniversary if you can find it, its cheaper…
I use B85 anni, pro btc, z97 msi gaming 5 and a gigabyte board I already had laying around

Ive heard of Pro BTC boards smoking on first use… read that on newegg and chinese shopping sites

dude, that is so yesterday…
im getting 500 sol/s with 6 480s and 550 sol/s with 7 470s with silentarmy Today! YAY
Silent ARmy FTW!!!

1 Like

I use just about any board because I don’t go up to 6 GPUs. Max 4 for me.

The shittiest boards are the Z170 chipset (avoid like the plague)

I saw that which is why I posted. He’s using SAv5 and if ya’ll can’t help him to get up to your speed, then I’m stuck with CPUs. System payback needs to be less than 6 months, not a year with hopeful assumptions. I should have known mining was a commoditized business 2 years ago and therefore to stay out of it. In 20 days $2000 will get you 25 Zec and it will take his rig 500 days to do that, not counting electricity costs. That assumes today’s price/ZEC per ZEC/block production rate (4.5, half-way to the final 10 ZEC/block) is at its rock-bottom lowest and will not go lower for 2 years. Your system with 500 S/s might pay for itself in a year, not counting electricity.

10 more days and I’m in negative territory in my electricity costs at 3 W per S/s.

you never know when its really going to pay back, prices change… even eth changes

On the h97 board what processor do you recommend? I3 4170 or i3 6100?

Post GPU BIOS Mod

Before: 345 Sols/s at 725 Watts
After: 490 Sols/s at 650 Watts

:smiley:

What GPUs and software?

It’s all listed in the first post of this thread.

1 Like