A crowd funding campaign to raise a grant-matching pool to run the first Gitcoin Quadratic Funding pilot experiment.
- Gitcoin Quadratic Funding is a way to raise funds for projects where more distinct people backing a project allocates more overall funds to that project.
- This crowd funding campaign is to set up the “matching pool” to provide grant matching. If it’s successful, a Gitcoin Quadratic Funding iteration will commence which is a new and crowd-driven approach to grants.
You can see the full proposal for the pilot program in Gitcoin / Quadratic Funding (Introducing Kevin Owocki). This thread is just about getting that project started.
Gitcoin Grants are a crowd-driven funding allocation process which can complement the existing Zcash development funding landscape. It would add a new option for projects seeking funding, and it also engages general Zcash users in deciding which projects are valuable.
To donate to the initial grant-matching pool, read @owocki’s comment on the ZF Grant application page. (Sorry I can’t link to specific comments there.) I’ll cut’n’paste here, but please double check that page to see that the address is correct:
I pledge to refund all contributions if the $15k threshold isnt met by June 15th 2020, based upon the spot pirce at June 15 2020.
You can contribute by sending $ZEC to t1ZDfyfwNkyhYzQiRF7iE3wiob1vMp2VR1D or to the shielded address zs17lcwdj7qlqs9wt04akhs4ytm7k8r65pns6jghh5cdp09qeem5wclvhxpy08ylrwq9ggw50rtkzl (pls make sure to put a refund address in the metadata or else I wont know where to return the funds).
If you are more interested in donating to specific projects, that happens after this matching pool threshold is reached. You may want to decide how to split any funds you want to donate between this initial kick-start donation versus later project applications.
- @owocki posted to Gitcoin / Quadratic Funding (Introducing Kevin Owocki) proposing the project in detail.
- This experiment is separate from ZF Grants, and it is not an official part of the nascent Major Grants committee. People at ECC have had conversations with @owocki and we’re planning an event coming up.
- However, this crowd funding idea is just my own individual idea. I thought it would fit the spirit of crowd-directed funding to see if we could get it off the ground outside of any official organization.
Yes, I’m matching donations.
I donated 10 ZEC just now, and I will further match up to 100 ZEC worth of donations! In other words, I’ll send a total of up to 110 ZEC to this donation drive. For donations to the z-addr I’ll have to rely on @owocki’s reporting to do grant matching, unless he publishes a Viewing Key. (Caution: If he does so, everyone will be able to see the reply-to addresses!)
At current prices, I’d be contributing roughly 1/3 of the funds needed for the $15k threshold, and if my matching maxed out we’d be about 2/3 of the way there. (Hint: if another whale made the same offer, then we’d hit the threshold if we max out donation matching.)
I hope we see interest from across the board, from whales to humble little tardigrades. Bring on the zeal!