Announcing my candidacy for a seat on the Major Grant Review Committee

“How about a pseudonymous community member whose only qualification is that they’ve been a voice for Zcash all along?” -Zooko

Thats me folks!

Hello Zcash Zealots,

I am @decentralistdan & I am officially announcing my candidacy for a seat on the Major Grant Review Committee. I have been an engaged Zcash community member & ZEC accumulator since 2018. Although I have no technical credentials & my IRL career is completely unrelated to the cybercoin space, I do have some related experience that specifically qualifies me for this position.

I have 3 years governance experience as an elected official to my Local Labor Union’s Board of Trustees, where I am directly responsible for helping decide how our Union’s funds are allocated & doing quarterly audits. I also personally interact with other Union members to gage community sentiment around how funds should be distributed. Other responsibilities include fraud prevention, ensuring anyone who handles funds are properly bonded, & giving reports/presentations at our quarterly meetings.

Outside of that, I have spent most of my free time over the last couple years obsessively grokking Zcash & Bitcoin. Recently I have been trying to figure out how I can become a more formal contributor to the Zcash ecosystem in an official capacity & see this as the perfect opportunity. I realize I may not be considered a qualified candidate to some degree but feel that my IRL Trustee experience & my time spent in the cybercoin space make me a solid candidate to represent on behalf of other Zcash Zealots. Below I will also describe some of my other community based “qualifications” & opinions on moving Zcash forward with the new Dev Fund grants.

-launched the #z2zchain experiment to create conversation around #z2z txs & z-address adoption
-new z9mini miner
-zecpages.com user
-zecmailer.com user
-run @zcashzeal on twitter
-zecwallet z-address user
-in the Zcashcommunity keybase chat

A main theme that will shape my perspective on grants is a focus on the encrypted memo field & mobile #z2z transactions that will help increase Zcash adoption. In my opinion one of the most important aspects to growing the Zcash ecosystem is to push for #z2z adoption & growth of the shielded pool. As well as pushing for adoption & education of the benefits & use cases involved with the encrypted memo field. Both of these will greatly benefit from shielded mobile wallet adoption. I would also like to note that I believe Zcash market cap will grow along with the growth of the shielded pool.

Another one of my strongest held opinions that will shape my perspective on grant proposals is that Zcash & Bitcoin can be mutually symbiotic. Economic & technical interoperability between Zcash & Bitcoin is of the highest importance to me.

Below I will list some other ideas that interest me in order to spark conversation & convey the sentiment of the type of projects that I would be inclined to allocate funds to…

-sending shielded encrypted memos w/ Bitcoin private keys attached

-use shielded ZEC from a z-address to open/fund a Bitcoin Lightning Network channel privately?

-SAS: Succinct Atomic Swaps by Ruben Somsen between ZEC & BTC

-Partially signed Zcash transactions (PSZT)? & other ZEC multisig transactions both transparent & private

-something along the lines of what Unchained Capital is doing with their open source Caravan & Hermit projects.

-A “fork” of Coinkite Coldcard for a Zcash only hardware wallet (multisig)

-A BTCpayserver “fork” for Zcash merchants/users

-Grants focused on building w/ Summa Riemann tools

-Grants focused on building with Bolt Labs “zkchannels for Bitcoin” (interop)

-Grants focused on Agoric smart contracts on top of the Zcash protocol

-Grants focused on network level privacy for the Zcash protocol & other mixnet work

My plan is to be more active on this forum going forward so please reach out with any thoughts & ideas. Also feel free to reach out on twitter @decentralistdan, or even better #z2z me an encrypted memo for discussion as well.

disclosure: my current cybercoin portfolio is as follows:
45% ZEC, 45% BTC, 10% ETH, take that as you will.

Thanks all,

@decentralistdan

#z2z me, encrypted memos accepted
zs1tgflkegsj9tqaqfrh64uu348l77fa5l8fx5p9rrnxdux87ulunaglctnxga4d79gnreaj44r7xe

15 Likes

Hi @decentralistdan ! I have seen your Twitter handle before welcome to the forums :slightly_smiling_face:

I have added a link to your thread in the top post on the Megathread, Good Luck!

3 Likes

Happy to be here & look forward to contributing more to the ecosystem.

Thanks

3 Likes

add BOLT to that list and you got my support

1 Like

BOLT is now zkchannels developed by Bolt Labs, which is mentioned in my post as I feel that grant applications planning to build with zkchannels should be very highly considered

1 Like

If the community would like to see a focus on the development of Zcash & Bitcoin interoperability & the overall sentiment of my post represented on the committee I would love everyone’s support! I plan to explain in more detail my thoughts both here & on twitter over the next few months.

I’m against putting the question this way: using the Zcash development Fund to implement zkp in bitcoin. It looks like I, as an investor, miner and community member, should finance another project with my own funds. I chose Zcash over bitcoin precisely for its advantages over bitcoin. Many will say that I am wrong, but this is my view. Zcash is a direct competitor to Bitcoin. If bitcoin gets payment features, Zcash will always remain an altcoin. If Zcash becomes money, it that bitcoin can’t afford in its current form, Zcash will surpass bitcoin in capitalization by 2030.

1 Like

I am not advocating for the dev fund to implement zkp in Bitcoin whatsoever. & even if that was something proposed it would never happen as the BIP process for Bitcoin is completely separate from Zcash development & the Bitcoin community would never come to consensus on that. I also believe that Zcash is a competitor to Bitcoin but at the moment & for the foreseeable future Bitcoin is King. In my opinion Zcash can grow & succeed despite the fact that BTC marketcap & adoption reigns supreme. With that in my mind I believe that it completely benefits Zcash to find its niche & adoption regardless of Bitcoin payment features being implemented, including coinjoin/payjoin privacy developments. Also I think that a lot of Zcash holders are also Bitcoin holders & that it would benefit users of both cybercoins for them to be symbiotic both economically & technically.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about that, I have some catching up to do.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying the position. Apparently I did not understand correctly. Translation difficulties. :relaxed:

1 Like