Announcing Ycash, The First "Friendly Fork" of the Zcash Blockchain

I’m not trying to be rude or cold; but other than the original announcement this thread should be closed.

Any additional discussion of Ycash should take place on the Ycash forums or YCash reddit, not in the Zcash Community forums.

6 Likes

About:

Evolution: Everybody has it’s own view what evolution is. My POW is that evolution is something more than altering/editing 2 parameters at all, but that’s just me of course.

About Money: Nothing to worry with the incoming airdrop, should be enough for the first view code edits…

About effort: Sure, reaching a goal needs effort. Reaching the goal of being asic resistant and editing the founder rewards don’t really need much effort at all. So far i’am not aware of any other goals/features/innovations/whatever, hence i consider the current needed effort as ultra-minimal…

About time: We will see how much time it needs, Bitzec can maybe explain how much time it needs to make these changes … (half kidding/half serious here!)

By ‘time’ I was thinking more of ‘how long a project survives’ but I agree with you - getting started is the (relatively) easy part.

1 Like

seriously … it took me alot of time …wanted to change to much at first … but you def. learn much about the codw …thats actualy how i started … looking at the code … even as a non coder …bitcoin itself seems to me like a life time project… or a well coordinated team…
Maybe just me … not from a coding background…
Now i could copy paste zcash in 2 hour probably… may someonen should start ycash mainnet today just to get rid of that terrible coinname…
Tutorial - Create your own zcash 2.0 fork in couple minutes (or hours first timers)

The mods have already discussed this and agreed that its appropriate here. The whole concept of a future friendly fork was from Zooko and Nathan, the founders of Zcash.

I will ask the commenters talking about a second fork @Bitzec and others start a new thread if that’s what they wish to do.

Ultimately the Zcash code is open-source and anyone can copy/paste it. Wether or not a fork obtains developers/community/miners support, or weather it fades into obscurity remains to be seen.

5 Likes

You should have close to zero interest in (96,5) since its memory requirements are an order of magnitude smaller than (200,9)…

1 Like

Thank you so much @tromp for sharing your expertise. Do you have an opinion on (144,5) versus (192,7)?

They have roughly similar memory requirements, but the former has 4x smaller proofs, which makes it slightly preferable.

You could roughly double the memory requirement with (150,5), which, I believe, requires a minimum of 3 GB to mine efficiently on a GPU.

1 Like

I agree that the announcement of the friendly splitt was and is appropriate, but point blank asking in this forum /the Zcash community what Equihash Algorithm should be used although a friendly but rival coin is not. This has gone far beyond announcing, it cooperating with potential harm.

The coin is not even released yet and you can see Zcash resources (its forum and its forum members while communicating inside of it are resources, how many times have ZFM’s and ECC people told people here to speak because we help drive the future of Zcash) are being used to advance this project that is not Zcash, its Ycash and should be asked and talked about on THEIR platform.

3 Likes

Minimum memory requirements for
96,5 = 2.5MB
144,5 = 2.0 MB
192,7 = 2.5 MB

Where is the big difference btw these after you excluded 96,5???

I think those are supposed to be GB @boxalex not mb. And it would be a big difference because some cards only have 2GB of RAM so too high would not allow those cards at all.

2 Likes

Why so serious :smiley:?

1 Like

I think this thread should stay. It’s not disruptive to conversations about other topics, which is the threshold we set in previous mod discussions about whether Ycash should be allowed here.

The Zcash Foundation has legal responsibility for the Zcash Community Forum, and the Foundation is explicitly friendly with other cryptocurrency projects. (As long as they’re undertaken in good faith, and we have no indication otherwise with respect to Ycash.) There’s a lot to be gained through collaboration, in general.

7 Likes

Jeej, let’s go for yet another splitt in the community.
Last year we allready lost a lot of people thanks to Asics, now another Coin that seems to get a lot of room here.
I agree with you @sonya that there is a lot to gain with collaboration, but like @CitricAcid said, there is nothing atm. What do they have to offer to Zcash ?
Talking about a launch, but not decided yet on which algo, Zooko talking about 1 community, when it are 2, because in my opinion Zcash is Zcash and not Ycash .

1 Like

I appreciate everyone’s feedback regarding the (n,k) parameters. Update: The only ones now under consideration are (144,5), (192,7), and (150,5).

2 Likes

There are 144.5 and 192 zcash forks allready out there … not sure about 150. For me cpu only would be interessting , not sure how long it could stay like that… also dont know about any zcash fork that is full pos

1 Like

Now Kek, you should have used emoji !!! :poop: :fork_and_knife: :

1 Like

@hloo

Still wondering about the name. Ycash is already a company that is in finance. You did research into that ? Like others stated before, it seems to have a trademark. www.ycash.com

2 Likes

Wonder if the trademark for Zcash includes ZZcash :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, XYZcashZZZ (or any similar) would likely be covered by the TM because it contains the string of text ZCASH.

Any mark containing the letters ZCASH

2 Likes