Arti: A pure-Rust Tor Implementation for Zcash and beyond

Thanks for posting @Shawn!

Tor is here if anyone has questions/comments/concerns regarding this project update :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks to the Tor team for this update!

We haven’t had a chance to try it with Zebra yet, but it looks like it resolves all our feedback. (And does some other useful things as well.)

3 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Hi! When the Tor Project received this grant last year, ZCF was ZOMG. We like to publicly recognize sponsors (who opt-in) on our sponsor’s page: Tor Project | Sponsors, to say a bit about their work and what about Tor they are supporting.

I’m wondering if there’s new ZCF branding and if we should update this blurb in any way? What do you think @ZcashGrants?

Blurb below screenshot below:

Blurb text:

Zcash Open Major Grants (ZOMG)

ZOMG (Zcash Open Major Grants) funds projects that advance the usability, security, privacy, and adoption of Zcash, a privacy-focused cryptocurrency which pioneered the use of zk-SNARKs. The Zcash ecosystem is driven to further individual privacy and freedom. ZOMG is funding a project to create an implementation of the Tor protocols in Rust (called “Arti”).

2 Likes

The current Zcash Community Grants (ZCG) website is at zcashcommunitygrants.org. It currently uses the Zcash logo that can be found on z.cash/press/.

The website states:

The Zcash Community Grants program (formerly known as ZOMG) funds independent teams entering the Zcash ecosystem, to perform major ongoing development (or other work) for the public good of the Zcash ecosystem.

Note: I am not on ZCG board. Just sharing info published on ZCG website. Cheers.

1 Like

ZCG has a horizontal logo which I think is better to use when talking about the grants program on pages that are not zcash-related. So that people skimming* through the text can instantaneously see that this is funded by Zcash Community Grants. The previous ZOMG logo also had it spelled out which made grants awareness easier when not on their site.

I added it in here but maybe a member of @ZcashGrants can clarify how best to communicate about the program on other websites!

3 Likes

Has @ZcashGrants responded to this?

2 Likes

Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this, @alsmith. Thank you for asking. Also, thank you for reminding us to respond, @tokidoki.

Please update the blurb to reflect the following:

The Zcash Community Grants (ZCG) program (formerly known as ZOMG) funds independent teams entering the Zcash ecosystem to perform major ongoing development (or other work) for the public good of the Zcash ecosystem. Zcash is a privacy-focused cryptocurrency, which pioneered the use of zk-SNARKs. The Zcash ecosystem is driven to further individual privacy and freedom. ZCG is funding a project to create an implementation of the Tor protocols in Rust (called “Arti”).

Please use the following logo:

10 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi @ZcashGrants & @aquietinvestor, we have updated the sponsors page to include the new blurb and new logo. Thanks for your help :slight_smile: Tor Project | Sponsors

9 Likes
6 Likes

Quick update: I’ve just made a post about our ideas for year 2 of Arti development. Please have a look!

6 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Really nice to see Arti team delivering consistently since the grant was funded!

4 Likes
2 Likes

We’ve reached our third milestone! Arti 1.0.0 is released: Our Rust Tor implementation is ready for production use. | The Tor Project

11 Likes

Arti 1.0.0 means its ready for production use, and we’d love the community’s feedback on integrating Tor into your projects. Feel free to use this thread or contact @nickm_tor.

4 Likes