Articles about Privacy and Security

Update on the dentist office hack, the information was encrypted somehow so the hackers probably didn’t get access to any of it however they did receive $20,000 to return it :grimacing:
(When a recertified terabyte sized hard drive costs 40 bucks)

ouch, that is painful - especially seeing as it was encrypted.

1 Like

This doesn’t just affect companies based in California but any company with 1 single Californian customer (not just US companies) 2020s gonna be interesting

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

This is a really good talk on modern day metadata and facial recognition stuff. its pretty interesting with some code examples (I think). It is not just about being paranoid anymore, apparently.

3 Likes

Fun with sha1 collisions!

1 Like

Speaking of hashing

1 Like

I’m not for certain but I’m pretty sure this was the hack up there my wife told me about

1 Like

@zooko good interview, this was a great retrospective on how technology has evolved and why some (like Linux vs Windows) succeeded over others. It’s obvious that the original Zcash FR idea was born from this previous experience and hopefully it will be continued with a dev fund to keep Zcash going.

The parallel between Linuxs lack of adoption/obsolescence and Zcashs current state is undeniable. If we are to succeed in widespread adoption, Zcash needs to move away from product cycle grind of adding non-end-user facing utility improvements to meet the next milestone and re-invent the end user experience. I see this all the time in the industry I work in, teams of engineers marching to the next milestone so they can say “yay we made the milestone boss” pat on the back .

I’m not saying that this is the current state of things at ECC, just that the leadership like yourself @joshs @nathan-at-least and others really need to be aware this is a very easy pattern to get caught in because it’s comfortable and predictable . I call it feature paralysis, adding things for the sake of adding things that the end user will never see.

Reminds me of Steve Jobs response when asked “How is Java better than OpenDoc”, his response is priceless:

Anyhow, excellent and interesting interview.

8 Likes

Wow
I remember reading about hot fix a couple weeks or days ago for military this has to be what it was

I guess it should come as no surprise now why Windows 10 decided to force restart update out of nowhere yesterday

31:10 and 1:00:35, 1:07:42, 1:11:30( it’s actually all worth watching)

1 Like

UK’s tax authority wants to deploy a blockchain analytics tool to catch crypto cybercriminals the NSA sequestered help from the public in breaking encryption technology surrounding privacy coins year or two go I think, now hmrc is going to try

I’m at 3 now again lol Blockchain Association launches Privacy and User Data Working Group | by Blockchain Association | Medium
:+1:

So mentioning the first article in this post the Bounty for HMRC is less than for coin join but they’ll take a broken one as long as it’s cheap enough (paragraph 5)
It’s going to be Sink or Swim time for everybody but if you never intended to build a boat that floats you’re going to be in trouble

Doesn’t sound like very sound money to me

If you use Avast you should stop, srsly its malware

Someone post something please!

This is a pretty interesting report

Pairs nicely with the crime report…you know if the intention is to feel sick
https://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2020/01/earn-it-act-how-ban-end-end-encryption-without-actually-banning-it

“This technology” is just something that helps them comply with the travel rule
no idea on Earth why they would have to need to do something like that :thinking:

This one kind of goes here, it’s ethereums proposed method for dealing with the “travel rule”, a version of aes-256 that “was designed to provide resilience and privacy at considerable expense. At its most secure mode of operation, Whisper can theoretically deliver 100% darkness. Whisper should also allow the users to configure the level of privacy (how much information it leaks concerning the ÐApp content and ultimately, user activities) as a trade-off for performance.”
“usage of one-time session keys is strongly encouraged for all Ðapps.”
“Although we assume these standard encryption algorithms to be reasonably secure, users are encouraged to use their own custom encryption on top of the default Whisper encryption.”

:man_shrugging: Junes coming quick

(Thx pbtc for posting something!)

“Philosophy Tube” video on “Data” – I thought he made a nice piece of infotainment:

2 Likes

https://www.scribd.com/document/446772557/Harmon-Indictment#from_embed
Mixers aren’t inherently darknet laundromats but that one appears to have been at least, the big one is the unlicensed part really (bye)
Whether the DoJ says they’re all that way idk might be a stretch…maybe (damn this benefit if the doubt)
An article raises the 4th amendment question about this but seems kinda non applicable to bitcoin, its like putting your trash on the curb; public domain (did you use a paper shredder? :thinking:)

I’m not sure why anybody thought this was a good idea in the first place, fee collection probably (and they spelled it ZCash dang it)

At 3 posts again people, killin me here!

Yet another reason to not use those browsers

Heres a really good reason!

On the email side

So besides exposing 133000 usernames it also contained a backdoor exploit (that may not have ever been abused but still, yikes)

There’s a petition in your area to ban facial recognition, for the love of God sign it!

2 Likes

Plan to use phone location data to assist in UK coronavirus effort

2 Likes