Articles about Privacy and Security

Just a little fun

4 Likes

Interesting flip to this coin, I wonder how much work at home Espionage doesn’t happen on ToR?! O_p

That was sarcasm, the answer obviously is ALL OF IT

This article is malicious
Coinjoin can leave your btc blacklisted… Which fundamentally means it doesn’t work… So everyone should do it… Then they won’t be able to distinguish… Except they will… Because it doesn’t work (according to Europol that is)
Overall its a net :heavy_plus_sign:

How special, replaced with pins a facial recognition for a more seamless login experience which ya know is currently the bane of my existence
Fun

Thought for the day…

Let’s pretend an app exists which uses your phone GPS & Bluetooth to do covid contact tracing. It tells you if someone nearby has it, tells others if you test positive, can also tell you to self-quarantine. Snoopy, invasive & horrible.

Lets also pretend the lockdowns, quarantines, precautions & restrictions last for two years - ending only when you’re vaccinated. :scream:

Running the app means you can go back to normal (whatever that was), unless the app tells you to stay home. Wandering around without running the app becomes a big deal, perhaps policed & enforced with quarantine if caught.

Would you run it? Should every phone run it by default? Would you dump your phones & buy burners? Good idea? Terrible idea?

1 Like

@hdevalence posting something about the challenges of designing such a system while still maintaining users privacy/anonymity:

2 Likes

Its a touchie subject

A worthy goal but I think the reality would be a horribly invasive crappy system forced on populations by their government - they’ve never cared about privacy so are unlikely to start.

I’m ‘privacy aware’ & take appropriate measures, probably like many here, but confess I would be tempted to trade some of that for access to the world - pretty sure I could find a phone to use just for that.

Some of us are against it and some of us are for it and it’s really all there is to it so just don’t take too long plz

1 Like

Saw this on The Guardian website…

Apple and Google have announced an unprecedented collaboration to open up their mobile operating systems to allow for the creation of advanced contact-tracing apps, the two companies have announced.

Similar apps have already been trialled in nations including Singapore, but they have been held back by a combination of reduced uptake – the Singaporean app is used by 12 percept of the city, limiting its effectiveness – and difficulties in working around privacy protections built into the iOS and Android operating systems.

It is those limits that Apple and Google will be lifting, the companies announced today.

1 Like

Expected as much, my really really paranoid expectations that they’re going to use this against us, that privacy is a fundamental human right until there’s the off chance you might get sick and then your convictions are undermined because you’re building tracking systems, privacy preservation is really just a nuance and one that “the man” doesn’t care for
(Sry thats just how I feel about it)

1 Like

Yeah - sad but true - its what happens after the pandemic that worries me. There will be an end (eventually) but at that point anything surrendered (or taken) has to be restored, history shows there’s little chance of that.

There’ll be a reboot of the ‘lets take it back’ that started all this crypto stuff, dumb phones, rooted phones, new tech, stronger encryption, z2z baby!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m leaning more and more towards ditching my Android phone and just getting a Linux based one.

But muh apps :confused:

3 Likes

There’s always this if you need a lockdown project… just add ZEC lightwallet :wink:

1 Like

I’m more along the lines of

But there are lots of Androids you can convert to Linux OS: https://many.tuxphones.com/

1 Like
1 Like

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/btcmanager.com/covid-19-zcash-zec-tcn-privacy-preserving-contact-tracing-app/amp/

1 Like

Thanks for this

elentia - is this in an update somewhere? I am really interested in a statement from the ecc about this.

EDIT sorry haven’t been around for a while. Let's Develop Decentralized, Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing - zcash foundation

if it works - and I really believe you can do it. Please make this happen. they are going to take the phones anyway, but this shows an alternative.

as an aside is there anyway to invest in zcash rather than zec?