Error while installing zcash on my system

I was error
while installing zcash hence while searching web i added LT_INIT at the begning in configure.ac file present in zcash directory and following which i executed few of these commands : aclocal
autoconf
automake --add-missing --copy
and then in the depends directory i executed make -j96 DEBUG=

below is the error :

configure.ac:37: installing ‘build-aux/ar-lib’
configure.ac:35: installing ‘build-aux/compile’
configure.ac:24: installing ‘build-aux/config.guess’
configure.ac:24: installing ‘build-aux/config.sub’
configure.ac:30: installing ‘build-aux/install-sh’
configure.ac:30: installing ‘build-aux/missing’
Makefile.am:9: error: Libtool library used but ‘LIBTOOL’ is undefined
Makefile.am:9: The usual way to define ‘LIBTOOL’ is to add ‘LT_INIT’
Makefile.am:9: to ‘configure.ac’ and run ‘aclocal’ and ‘autoconf’ again.
Makefile.am:9: If ‘LT_INIT’ is in ‘configure.ac’, make sure
Makefile.am:9: its definition is in aclocal’s search path.
Makefile.am: installing ‘build-aux/depcomp’
parallel-tests: installing ‘build-aux/test-driver’
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

but still the error got not resolved.

2 Likes

Could you link the installation guide you followed? Also providing more information about your system would be helpful

Are you following the install instructions? You don’t need to call make manually. Building Zcashd & Zcash-cli on Debian/Ubuntu — Zcash Documentation 5.6.1 documentation

2 Likes

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to express my gratitude for your prompt reply and to seek your valuable assistance in my research.

As a researcher in the field of cryptography, I am currently exploring the intricacies of various cryptographic protocols used in blockchain technologies. My focus has recently turned to the Zcash cryptocurrency, and I am eager to delve deeper into the mathematical aspects that underpin its security and privacy features.

Considering your expertise and knowledge in the domain, I would greatly appreciate your guidance in pinpointing the specific sections of the Zcash implementation where the cryptographic mathematics are being performed. By identifying these key areas, I can better analyze and comprehend the mathematical foundations of the Zcash protocol.

Any insights or directions you can provide would be of immense help to me in advancing my research. Your expertise and guidance will undoubtedly contribute to the success of my study, and I am genuinely grateful for any support you can offer.

Thank you once again for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you and eagerly anticipate the opportunity to learn from your expertise.

Regards
Mohit

1 Like

Hi,

I wanted to create some dummy transactions and secondly, i want to monitor the changes are done are affecting it.
Can you help me to understand or provide some documentation that helps to get my job done?

Regards
Mohit

Here is a guide I wrote some time back about running zingo-cli in regtest mode. Don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for.
The guide may be a little outdated tho, since I wrote it back in December 2022.

1 Like

Thanks for quick response,

Actually I want to test my algorithms which can improve the performance of the zcash. Hence, i wanted to get to know how could i test it especially the elliptic curve part.

-Mohit

Hi james,

Thanks for the response,

I would like to get some inputs regarding teh experiment which i want to conduct on zcash. If we could synch / have a call it would be great.
Regards
Mohit

1 Like

Hey, i’m following the steps mentioned for zcash but i see there are errors while installing it. I’ve attached a screenshot of the error message. There are many packages of which the names or version are need to be changed/missing which makes it a little difficult to change/modify due to version issues. Can you please check and provide necessary inputs.

Regards
Mohit

Hello.
Why are you running these commands as the super user (root)?
From your screenshot, it looks like you are in the incorrect working directory. Undo all modifications you’ve made with vim and try running cargo build --release from ~/zcash/zingolib/. (preferably as the zcash user you’ve created, and not as root).

Hope it helps.

Hi,

How can we create a shielded and unshielded transaction on zingolib and compile zinglolib libraries dynamically and linking (dynamciall) with zcash.

Regards

Mohit

1 Like

Hi Zcash community,

I was waiting for a response, Can you please respond ? ?: )

Regards
Mohit

Not sure what you mean, but I’ll try to answer.

You can use zingo-cli to send transactions with the command send:

Usage:
send <address> <amount in zatoshis> "optional_memo"
OR
send '[{'address': <address>, 'amount': <amount in zatoshis>, 'memo': <optional memo>}, ...]'

<address> can be UA, Z or T, but zingolib “Defaults to sending shielded transactions, even if you’re sending to a transparent address”, that is, you cannot specify it the transactions is shielded or not. Zingolib does automatic note selection.

I’m not a Rust developer, so I don’t know the answer for this, but you can try my javascript / node.js wrapper for zingolib, check it out here.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply,

My immediate request is for your assistance in counting the number of times elliptic curves, specifically secp256k1, are being utilized. This information is crucial for my ongoing project, and your support in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mohit

This is a question for the Zcash engineers …
But skimming through the protocol specification on page 26:

Zcash uses four signature schemes:
• one used for signatures that can be validated by script operations such as OP_CHECKSIG and OP_CHECKMULTISIG as in Bitcoin;
• one called JoinSplitSig which is used to sign transactions that contain at least one JoinSplit description (instantiated in § 5.4.6 ‘Ed25519’ on p. 88);
• [Sapling onward] one called SpendAuthSig which is used to sign authorizations of Spend transfers (instantiated in § 5.4.7.1 ‘Spend Authorization Signature (Sapling and Orchard)’ on p. 92);
• [Sapling onward] one called BindingSig. A Sapling binding signature is used to enforce balance of Spend transfers and Output transfers, and to prevent their replay across transactions. Similarly, an Orchard binding signature is used to enforce balance of Action transfers and to prevent their replay. BindingSig is instantiated for both Sapling and Orchard in § 5.4.7.2 ‘Binding Signature (Sapling and Orchard)’ on p. 93.
The signature scheme used in script operations is instantiated by ECDSA on the secp256k1 curve. JoinSplitSig is instantiated by Ed25519. SpendAuthSig and BindingSig are instantiated by RedDSA; on the Jubjub curve in Sapling, and on the Pallas curve in Orchard.

Looks like Sapling and Orchard transactions don’t use secp256k1 whatsoever, at least not for signing. But I’m not really qualified to answer for sure.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply, Can we talk to engineer/ expert who could answer these questions? and second, test this on zcash if we could do that it would be really helpful.

Regards
Mohit

Hi james,

How can i talk to engineer or someone who could help me to get question answered.

Regards
Mohit

Hi James,

I want to do shielded transactions offline ( i don’t have zcash balance) and want to add some print statements while executing it because there are some experiments which i want to do. So, can you please help me how can i do the same.

Regards
Mohit

Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re trying to achieve.
If you don’t have zcash balance you can’t send a shielded transaction. Unless you’re using regtest mode or testnet with TAZ.

Without knowing what application you’re using to create and send transactions, I can’t help you further .

Also, I apologize if I’m being too harsh, I really don’t want to be rude, but I don’t think you’re going to make any breakthrough discovery using prints. I suggest you to start learning how to use debuggers and so on.

I also suggest you to take a look at this recently approved minor grants propsal and their github repo, they’re developing some tooling for ZKP circuits verification. Maybe this can help you.

Thanks for the reply.

My aim is to make ECC operations used in ZCash efficient so I want to test zcash with/without my improved algorithms for ECC ( elliptic curve crypto). So, If you could help me to do that without having zcash balance etc. It would be helpful for me. If you want we can have a small meeting, where you can show me how I can use ZCash to do a transaction while playing the ECC operation used in it. ( add print was an approach i thought to play around with zcash)

P.S: ECC operations are used in the ZKP side of Zcash i.e. shielded transactions.

And it’s totally fine, you can express your views in either way. But the ask is to get the job done :slight_smile:

Regards
Mohit