Flypool/Bitfly Miner Centralization

You seriously awaited something else? One thing i learned here on especially this forum that most are pretty good with decentralization arguments in theory, in practice only a handfull really care about it…

1 Like

I posted that on 11 April and have been mining on Nanopool since 12 April. It was easy to do and NP has been good.

1 Like

Jeps, but in the end it was just another day, with again lots of blocks :slight_smile:

Yup, I’ve been mining there for the last eight months & it works well.

The only two pools I ever messed with directly was Nanopool and Flypool and at the time FP was paying me more per day so I have stayed since. The one thing that I found in mining is the more hands off I am, the most consistent the pay is. Once I start/stop and switch things around, I’m managing this way more than I want. I have three machines full of 1080 Ti’s and I have found a balance that works without babysitting. Now if Nanopool is decisevely better, then it’s worth looking, but are they that much better?

Everyone that has switched has stated they are getting paid more(I am one of them)… is that better?

By switching you are helping to reduce Flypool’s +51% … is that better ?

Changing from --server us1-zcash.flypool.org --port 3333 to --server zec-us-east1.nanopool.org --port 6666 though I understand can be extremely time consuming, but since you can now copy and paste it … is that better?

If your rigs are stable it does not matter at all which pool you point them to, there isn’t any baby sitting … is that better?

Yes to all! If you’re having trouble switching, it could be your miner software
On Claymore you have to specify the pool you want in the epools file, otherwise it doesn’t work (if thats an issue for anyone)

Yes, switching multiple mining machines is not something I care to bother with and when running many of them side-by-side for a week, Nanopool performed worse for me.

it takes 60 seconds to switch each rig, if 3 minutes is a long time for you…

and I am guessing that your week long test was not in the last 45 to 60 days, because if it was, there is no way it performed worse

Updating the pool distribution as about 10 days left since we checked. Seems a bit of Network Hashrate shifting is going on:

The value of bevor 10 days is in the (*)

Flypool: 307 (332) -25
Nanopool: 85 (63) +22
t1Q2…yD7n: 82 (0) +82 unknown/new?!?!
Mph: 51 (60) -9
F2pool: 37 (41) -4
Coinotron: 9 (11) -2
t1N95…TgED: 8 (0) +8 unknown/new?!?!
Suprnova: 8 (7) +1
Waterhole: 6 (0) +6
t1S4…sVHy: 4 (25) -19 the one we think its bitmains pool
t1L2…WTS7: 3 (0) +3 unknown/new?!?!
t1dz…S1Mg: 2 (2) +/-0
ViaBTC: 2 (2) +/-0
other: 1 (2) -1

Thoughts:

• Coinmine.pl droped from the top 15 pools
  • New player/pool: t1Q2…yD7n with +82
  • New player/pool: t1N95…TgED with +8
  • flypool seems to be back from 58% to ~50%

About the new pools:

• Not sure about them, i think one of them is Antpool, but which of both?
  • Eventually a new asic producer is in the game, just speculation of course.

Personally I’m using Suprnova and have been for months with my 24 card rig, and find the payouts great, luck tends to always be in the green so I don’t know why this pool is so underused!

Agreed, i’am a suprnova fan as well, whenever a coin i mine is available there i prefer suprnova…

Besides the fact that it’s using Z-NOMP, I have no idea what t1Q2QY83u7F7UvkwQR3ep1XyRmknP3syD7n (New big player) is. It could be:

• An alternative address for t1S4ydQEgzgLuWWvHiRBfcqW7AFE3RssVHy (Former big player, BITMAIN ASIC POOL suspect, although now I’m not so certain about that since it lost the most of its mining power quite fast. And the fact that t1Q2QY83u7F7UvkwQR3ep1XyRmknP3syD7n is using Z-NOMP bothers me.)

• Another Nicehash-like Cloud mining address (Or maybe it is NiceHash or Genesis)

• A hacker gathering Hashpower to 51% attack on Zcash network

Come to think of it, how much hashrate do Genesis and NiceHash have? They do mine on their own pools, don’t they?

Nicehash sell their hashrate mostly to whomever wants to rent it. It could be possible that the unrented hashpower is mining either on their pool or somewhere else, not sure about this one.
But than again, we should have noticed than bevor, not?

I just checked the nicehash market place. Right now they have 53 MH/s free for rent on equihash… Not sure, but i checked yesterday and i think it was way more available, about 70 MH/s than.

I exclude the option of a hacker gaining Hashpower for a 51% as not enough hashrate is available for that currently. Doesn’t mean Zcash shouldn’t be take up it’s guard to be safe of course!!!

We should as well add the option of a new ASIC player with so much hashrate a sudden!!

I did a bit more hunting and identified a few more mining pool addresses that Zchain currently doesn’t have identified:

Just switched over to Nanopool, thanks root. It’s true the flypool hash domination is an issue. However I do like their interface

But I gotta say the latency on the nano pool is brutal. The update time takes too long …

1 Like

Or just not participating in the discussion of pool dominance ?

I made some graphs today!

interesting. But which adress is the antpool? Are you sure it’s this one and not the one ending with the sVHy ZEC adress??

It was identified earlier in this thread:

It’s received roughly as many transactions as Antpool has found blocks (they also list orphans), and a random sampling of older and newer blocks didn’t bring up any other addresses.