Zcash block mining graphs

One of the things we are lacking when talking about mining pools (and their relative sizes) is good graphs. Zchain’s miner statistics page is a great resource, but it only shows four rolling snapshots of the mining space, so it’s hard to picture how it has evolved over time.

I spent some time today collecting data from the block chain and figuring out how best to graph it. This is what I’ve come up with:

• The graph includes all blocks up to height 338,000.
  • Miners are sorted vertically by total blocks mined over the entire range. I’ve identified as many mining pool addresses as I can - several of the visible bands have multiple addresses associated with them.
  • I only added the larger miners to the legend, for obvious space reasons.
  • The horizontal coordinates use the block timestamp from the first block in the bucket (i.e. blocks 1, 1001, 2001, and so on).

Here is a graph focusing on the block range 275,000 to 338,000 (note that the colours do not match the previous graph, because the miners are sorted based on total blocks mined just in this range):

I’ll continue poking at the data (in all that spare time I have when we’re not working on Sapling :joy:) to see if I can extract any other useful graphs. Suggestions welcome!

13 Likes

I’ve taken the previous graph, and scaled it by the network solution rate (averaged over each bucket), to see how mining power is added or moved between mining pools:

Here’s the above graph from blocks 315,000 to 338,500:

5 Likes

I’ve pushed the source files (a Python script to fetch data, and a Jupyter notebook to graph it) here:

2 Likes

I don’t have strong evidence of this, but I’m guessing t1Q2Q and t1XE1 are the same miner, since a roughly equal amount of hash power suddenly switches from the former to the latter.

6 Likes

Nanopool lost a lot of miners and Hashrate the last 2 days, and it keeps on declining. Maybe auto miners, but can’t image that, since all coins got beaten down badly.

t1XE1 should be monitored closely.
It’s solution rate seems to grow.
It’s percentage of the overall solution rate will grow faster than it’s absolute solution rate since it makes GPU mining less profitable.

1 Like

I agree absolutly. I’am monitoring that pool for about 2 weeks now and it is really growing very fast, even too fast in my opinion. I have said it bevor, but will say it again, my bet goes to a private/secret Innosilion pool. Eventually a secret/private Asicminer 50k by Asicminer pool, but the later is less likely.

that’s a significant amount of hash to come from nowhere in no time

1 Like

Yes, i mentioned the pool allready some 2 weeks or so ago when it showed up the first time on the charts, but seems everybody was hardcoded to bitmain to give it some attention…

2 Likes