Hashrate for dummies

Good day, everyone!

Tell me please, how to calculate my hashrate please, if my average zcbenchmark time is 50 seconds

I’m not sure if I’ve got it from the guide

Divide 2 (average number of hashes per solver run) by your average zcbenchmark time (average seconds per solver run) to get your average hash rate (hashes per second). In your case, that’s around 0.04 hashes per second, or 25 seconds per hash.

Check the benchmarking website and contribute your results to the page https://benchmark.minezcash.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I’ve found some variance between whether I run ./zcash-cli zcbenchmark solveequihash 10 when my miner is running. Try turning it off ~/zcash/./src/zcash-cli setgenerate false before running the solveequihash test and see if it improves (lowers) your result.

@str4d so in a mining setup, compared to block time, what’s important, the 50sec or the 25sec ?

How does difficulty impact this? It impacts the hashrate, the chance to solve before block time, or the reward when solving a block?

In other words, under which zbenchmark value one setup must perform in order to be of any interest, mining wise?

Bitcoin newbie here <—

The last step in solving a block is to produce a SHA256 hash and if this hash doesn’t begin with enough binary zeros to satisfy the difficulty then that solution is discarded, the nonce value is changed and a new solution begins. Difficulty increases if blocks are found too quickly and it decreases if they’re not found fast enough. The reward is a fixed value for each block.

Difficulty raises the number of hashes required to solve a block. It’s set so that it takes all the CPUs on the network 150 seconds (2.5 minutes) to solve a block (24 blocks per hour are allowed to be solved). If there are 48 PCs on the network like yours right now (my estimate), it will take 2 days to get 24 blocks, plus or minus about 6 blocks. If you increase your hashrate by a percentage, you increases the percentage of blocks you get, but your starting percentage of blocks is equal to your percentage of the network power.

Does the nonce generator function like that of bitcoin?
Is the initial nonce randomly chosen by the software and then incremented from there or ??

I think that is how it’s done.

Yes; the internal miner generates a random 256-bit nonce, then clears the upper and lower 16 bits for use as thread and loop counters.

1 Like

Thanks. So then in a multicore setting, does each instance of the miner generate its own random nonce, or do the mining instances “talk” to each other (so to speak), generating a single random nonce, but then distributing the remaining nonces for the other cores in an equally-spaced fashion throughout the 256 bit space, so that the 256 bit space is more rapidly processed?

Yes, multiple instances now use different nonces. btw I didn’t think the nonce value was that size. As Equihash requires so much more processing time than the SHA hashing used by Bitcoin, it’s much less likely to exhaust the number space of even a 32bit nonce.

The nonces are 256 bits. Yes, we could have got away with a smaller nonce, but it was easy to fix. (The 32-bit nonce imposes a lot of complexity to Bitcoin mining protocols.)