How Much Power is My GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB OC using?

Hello mining masters,

Can someone please help this noob discover how much power my graphics card is drawing?

I’m using an MSI Armor GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC. I’m using Nicehash v1.8.1.3. I am NOT using Afterburner or currently doing any kind of OCing of the gpu core or memory.

According to the MSI website, this particular card draws 250W. But this seems way higher than what I’ve read here from others’ experience. I would imagine the power usage is based on many factors, but I can’t seem to find anywhere that monitors/displays its power usage on the fly.

Thank you in advance,
Rob

You can download NVIDIA inspector. The program tells you clock frequencies, temp and current power use of the card. You can even use it to overclock or change TDP/voltage.

NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.8 download link (techspot.com)

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you, man!

Rob

Haha, that’s neat mate, but even the masters are noobs at the core, arn’t we all just some lame noobs?
Anyways an alternative software i would suggest is GPU-Z:

supports AMD cards too, and UX is very similar to nvidia inspector.

Download after burner and give it a try! You will get higher hash rate for lower power consumption!

1 Like

I guess that the “–pec” command in EWBF is telling the truth too.

1 Like

Thank you! I will experiment with these different software packages. I did try Afterburner, but I couldn’t find anywhere that displayed how much power my card was consuming. On the bottom it showed a red line going up and down slightly over time. This graph was labeled "GPU power, %“. So, it was giving me the percentage of total power. I guess I could just calculate it myself.

Thanks again,
Rob

Hello,

Yes, I have read of using “—pec”, but I couldn’t find a manual for the latest version of Nicehash which explains how to use it (as well as other flags). In past versions of Nicehash, I just put all the flags in the config.txt file. But in this new version, I couldn’t even find the conig file.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Rob

–pec is an EWBF miner flag. Which is the miner you should be using if you want the best CUDA miner.

1 Like

Thank you again, nekkidtruth!

What does EWBF mean? What does CUDA mean?

Thank you,
Rob

EWBF: https://github.com/nanopool/ewbf-miner

CUDA: CUDA - Wikipedia

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think EWBF is only the nickname of the author of that specific miner. You can find the original thread and download links on Bitcointalk here if you want to give it a go. Remember to setup the .bat-file with your own Zcash address and the correct pool server you want to use. If you add --pec to the .bat-file, you’ll get power consumption and sols/W within the miner window itself, like this:

I don’t know what CUDA really is, though…but in my head, CUDA = Nvidia. That’s about all I’ve cared to know about it :grin:.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you nekkidtruth!

Rob

Sweet! Thanks so much, Sprucemoose!

Rob

CUDA = API

In the most simple way to see it:
This API let’s you process data from your gpu as it’s a cpu.

2 Likes

Hey awesome! Thanks!

Rob

Hello, what kind of cards you have that your electricity per card is just about 220w? ant about 750sol.
I have 1080ti, i can get 750sol easy, but with 250w. What you have done ?? :smiley:

Simple math allows you to calculate that he’s right around 87-90% TDP. From there, you just need to play around with over locking and card temps. It’s really hard to just give you OC #s to use, because even within cards of the same model, there are different tolerances. Absolutely there will be significant variation between manufacturers too (two different 1080 Tis will have different performance characteristics).

In general, choose the TDP you want to run at first, then keep over clocking your core in 25 Mhz increments (or something reasonably small). I would usually let the card run for 24 hours before making an adjustment as a reasonable measure of stability. Eventually, you’ll find an unstable point. I usually backed off 25-35 MHz and then began working on Memory OC. Many ways to do it, but this worked OK for me. Keep in mind, your cards may have different OC tolerances at different power limitations. Keep good notes.

Bottom line: there’s no guarantee you can reproduce his results. You might do worse, but then again, you might have more robust cards and do better.

2 Likes

I believe I was doing 80% TDP, +100 on clock and +700 on memory. The cards are 2x ASUS 1080Ti O11G STRIX.

2 Likes

I see; 2x 8-pin on those? ~275W?

1 Like

Yes, 2x 8 pin…don’t really know if ASUS has published a max TDP, but according to EWBF miner, 100% power draws around 275-280W. I get 780 sol/s if I crank it up to that with +100/+700MHz, but the efficiency drops to 2.8 sol/W.

1 Like