MGRC Update 10-8-2020 and Meeting Minutes

It was flagged as off-topic because it’s not related to the topic of this thread. We have “price speculation” and your “radical to the moon” thread for charts.

@kek I understand your concern about having a 6th person present (not directly elected) at the meeting but as others have mentioned it’s not a surprise, Chris and Mario both mentioned they would be working together to support each other in thier applications.

As I mentioned before, Mario didn’t vote on decisions and didn’t really take part in the discussion. This brought up an important clarification that the MGRC needs to set about Chris and Marios roles and I plan to bring it up in the next MGRC meeting.

However, you got flagged several times by several forum members, not because of your point, but because instead you chose to post clown memes, go off-topic, and engage in character attacks against Hudson.

Please try to keep it civil, CoC is very clear and even long term members like yourself are expected to abide by them.

4 Likes

No, I dont.

i would be far more concerned if someone was having trouble and not getting help. mental health is a lot like normal health. you get sick, you go to the doctor, you get well.

I dont see how stigmatising someone for being public about their troubles does any good for anyone.

9 Likes

I thought this was a great first meeting, and in all, have been impressed with how proactive and on-point all MGRC members have been. Everyone was right on time, remarkable for a meeting of 6 people online!

I see some trite controversy has been stirred up over things that were well understood during the MGRC election process. It’s my opinion that @mlphresearch is a gift to have involved, and the seat that I represent will still just represent 1 vote of 5. Therefore, as it stands wrt governance, our 1 seat is still 1 seat.

In future votes for MGRC seats, I think we may need to add a formal, non-voting, minute-taker, so that we can keep the community up to date on all our actions without over-burdening any single MGRC member with that task (that would detract from their ability to make quality decisions). Mario is basically filling that role for us for now (though he’s vastly overqualified).

In addition, he helps me make the most well-informed, well-reasoned decisions, as I am responsible for supporting a number of networks in the crypto space. Anyone complaining about this and posting distractions like price-charts or insults is clearly not interested in the substance or heart of Zcash.

12 Likes

What’s the argument against simply live streaming calls or at least recording them for transcription and archival? We can crowd source minutes

1 Like

ah, see things are progressing well.

MGRC already reinventing the wheel, huh?
already looking to compensate itself in addition to the Foundation peace offering, huh?
More extensive moderation of ACTUAL community members? hmmm.
Who could have imagined?

ZIP was meaningless, vote was meaningless. only whats recorded in the block matters. probably important to note that the MGRC’s duties likely do not formally begin until halving, right? so, we should all be thankful for their social hour.

I have said this before so this is the last time im going to mention it. I clearly got my wires crossed.

I agree, however this doesnt sound like the involvement i was expecting.

wrt

Cant you hire an admin? isnt an admin a reasonable expense? anyone asked the zfnd yet?

If you are only committing 5hrs a month then I think we are going to be in for a bit of trouble.

Can you and other MGRC members please clear up what you mean by part time, is the @ZcashGrants only going to do 5hrs a month?

Does this goal still seem achievable?

(ZIP Editor hat.)

Let me know if ZIP 1014 should be changed to use the new name. (I think that counts as a purely editorial change.)

1 Like

Also, not just any clown memes, but specific alt-right memes linked to anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and white supremacism. In particular the clown character you posted is a variant of Pepe whose name (“Honkler”) is a reference to Hitler. Please don’t think that we’re naive about this stuff.

3 Likes

May our editors of the post vote ZIP and holders of the almighty excel spreadsheet consider the following names, and may the censors be kind to permit such suggestions:

1. zcash whatever feels good man committee
  2. 4 and 1/2 men + sarah #teamsheen
  3. zcash selectee super spenders #zsss
  4. the expiration of the founders reward friends and family reward panel
  5. the chain with hidden chain has democracy with hidden democracy club

i’m partial to whatever feels good man committee.

Hey @kek, this was MGRC’s first meeting. First, I think we should commend them on successfully coordinating, meeting up, discussing on several critical topics and then sharing the high level update with us.

As for Chris + Mario, we know that they have 1 vote, at least they are public about their team-up, the other MGRC members are free to discuss with anyone they want privately and still end up having 1 vote towards proposals.

The best approach is to give time and space to the first ever MGRC team as they navigate the waters & settle in. There are several challenges they have to overcome to collect the dev funds from miners, evaluate dev proposals, hand them out, track milestones and more. All of which is going to take >time< and this delay in the starting phase must not be targeted as the reason for ZEC market price. We will get to Billion Dollar+ valuations as we show progress, adoption & ease of use for shielded transactions to the broader crypto market. Cheers.

8 Likes

It comes from League of Legends and Twitch chat, it is not inherently racist or showing of white supremacy sympathies.

Like the O.K. sign it was taken and used by the alt right, but that was done to show how easy it is to make people over react. Like Blizzard - even though they put it in their game.

I know people that use it in Hearthstone to show the clown fiesta for RNG. the emote is pepoClown. It is used to show when rngJesus is not looking favourably on the streamer, culminating in a bizarre outcome.

3 Likes

I agree, the image leaves room for interpretation and I don’t necessarily agree with Daira that it was keks intent to signal alliance with a particular group.

We have a thread for Forum moderation policies and procedures: to discuss these things.

Please try to move further discussion there and keep this thread directly on MGRC related topics.

I would agree with this and your entire statement. Looking forward to increased transparency

I would agree with this and only this part of your statement :slight_smile: Perhaps they have a pipeline of pre-approved grants and they will just be taking marching orders from ZF/ECC/VCs, nonchalantly … That takes a bit of the pressure off of everyone! Benevolent, really!

Or, in this case, 1-2 seats. I imagine that if this is not worth Chris’s time we’ll see a lot more of Mario

1 Like

Lol,

How about “Lets make Zcash the super bestest cryptocurrency committee” LMZTSBCC for easy acronyms :wink:

[Retracted statement about putting naming up for a poll]

Please don’t prioritize this, at all. It’s like choosing a headline before writing the story. Please publish your outline and drafts first

I was just referring to the title of the MGRC, not the entire mission statement. If the community is comfortable with the MGRC simply naming itself whatever it chooses then that is fine too.

Either way, I’m only one vote of five so I can’t speak for the other members.

okay, just none of this. :rofl:

1 Like

Changing the name is not frivolous. It could be done to break search result page rank

How do we determine if the action meets a level of community significance? quorum size? Fire alarm?

Let’s give it 9 months before we name this clump of cells.
“anyone complaining about this and posting distractions like [new names] or insults is clearly not interested in the substance or heart of” MGRC.

As mentioned in the minutes,

We did talk about the possibility of hiring an assistant to help augment the workload, but nothing concrete has been decided yet.

(Speaking for myself) As I mentioned in my original application I think it’s a good idea to have someone working full time on MGRC stuff to follow up with things. If the MGRC members themselves can’t commit to full time 40hrs then I think having an admin to augment the difference in hours is a possible solution.

2 Likes

The reason the naming was brought up so soon is because several things rely on having a name, such as securing a Twitter handle, URL for the grants platform, etc…

But you bring up a good point, putting the naming up for a poll would potentially give someone a chance to front-run those names. So I retract my previous suggestion. Probably not a good idea to run a poll.

4 Likes