MGRC Update 10-15-2020 and Meeting Minutes

Hello Zcash Community!

Welcome to the second MGRC update.

Previously we had decided that we will meet every two weeks but since schedules did not allow for the first meeting on time we had this second meeting one week after the last. The two week cadence for formal/synchronous MGRC meetings will continue from here forward and we will continue asynchronous communication via email, Forums, Docs, and Discord throughout the weeks.

The big takeaway from this weeks formal meeting was that we heard the Zcash Communities questions with regards to Marios involvement with the MGRC. We know that Chris and Mario represented that they would be working together to support the MGRC in their applications however out of an abundance of caution and respect for the Zcash Community MGRC wants to set the precedent that one seat on the MGRC represents one person. We felt that this is an important precedent to set now because of the possibility of multiple persons running for a single seat in the future. Mario will recuse himself from formal interaction with the MGRC. This does not exclude Mario and Chris from working together informally but when it comes to official MGRC matters Chris will be the seat as elected by the Zcash Community.

We are exploring options to replace Mario with an administrative assistant for minute taking prior to our next formal meeting. @mlphresearch and @cburniske will also be making follow up posts here on the forum to clarify their thoughts and to answer questions from the community.

MGRC Zoom Meeting: October 14th, 2020

Pre-meeting agenda:

  1. D&O insurance (update from Chris)
  2. Target metrics from ZF (update from Shawn)
  3. ZF grants platform (update from Shawn)
  4. Outreach and communication channels
  5. Grant process and supplemental ZIP draft
  6. Renaming MG
  7. Next meeting details

Meeting minutes:

Attendance:

  • Hudson Jameson
  • Sarah Jamie Lewis
  • Shawn (aka mineZcash)
  • Chris Burniske
  • Holmes Wilson
  • Mario Laul (left the meeting after agenda item 7)

Confirmed the following agenda:

  1. D&O insurance
  2. Key metrics from ZF
  3. ZF grants platform
  4. Outreach and communication channels
  5. Grant process and supplemental ZIP draft
  6. Renaming MG
  7. Next meeting details
  8. Mario Laul’s involvement with MGRC

1. Discussed D&O insurance

The topic is still under discussion with ZF. Decided that Chris will seek professional legal opinion on the status and potential liability of MGRC members.

2. Discussed “Key Metrics” from ZF

Shawn had contacted ZF: ZF stated they will provide MGRC with target metrics and key performance indicators after its October 20th board meeting.

3. Discussed ZF grants platform and Grant process

ZF is willing to give MGRC full access and control over the existing grants platform. After learning of the ongoing month costs of the Grants Platform, Decided that, before committing to using it, the MGRC should compare it with other, potentially cheaper and lower maintenance options (e.g. Google Forms combined with Zcash Forum, Github, or other freely available platforms). Decided that, prior to the next meeting, Shawn will arrange a walkthrough of the features and admin of the existing platform with Hudson for deeper evaluation, and Chris will draft a tentative Grant application flow for Grant applicants that can be used for an informed comparison.

4. Outreach and communication channels

No actionable decisions. Prior to finalizing the grant administration process, MGRC will restrict its communications to the Zcash Forum and Discord channel.

5. Supplemental ZIP draft

Decided that MGRC will continue working on a supplemental ZIP draft, prioritizing items that are essential for MGRC to be able to start administering Grants. Holmes will follow up with ZF to discuss options for administrative support via the ZF.

6. Discussed Renaming MG

Discussed methods to decide naming of MGRC (ie:polling) Decided that it should be kept internally until ready for official announcement to secure URL and other outreach channels. Decided to finalize a list of potential names prior to the next meeting and make a decision shortly thereafter.

7. Discussed Next meeting details

Decided that the next meeting will take place in two weeks’ time.

8. Discussed Mario Laul’s involvement with MGRC [Mario left the call at this point so these notes taken by Shawn]

Decided that Mario will recuse himself from further direct interaction with the MGRC. Chris and Mario will follow up on the forum with explanatory posts. MGRC will need to replace Mario as a minute taker for meetings. Mario will likely continue to help Chris informally.

8 Likes

I’m offering myself as minute taker.

I don’t have much to add, except that I’m glad the initial lack of clarity around my involvement has been cleared up. I look forward to seeing the MGRC in action and remain available to help out in any way I can. Onward!

5 Likes

Why not be available to take meeting minutes?

According to the original post, the MGRC is exploring options for hiring administrative support. I suppose we’ll learn about it soon, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the job entails a lot more than just minute taking.

Similar to Mario, not much to add.

Going back in time, we declared that Mario would be helping me out of an abundance of caution, transparency, and respect for the Zcash community, but in retrospect that may have been oversharing.

In retrospect, the precedent of one seat, one person was an important one for us to set, and so we optimized for that.

Anyway, onward!

5 Likes