Mining rig approach?

Hello!

I am a total beginner at mining so I wonder if this is the right way to approach mining at home for now:)

Buy a motherboard that supports 6 PCI-E for graphics cards.
Buy a mid-range CPU
Buy one graphic card and wait for GPU mining to launch, test everything, buy 5 more if everything looks ok?
16 GB of RAM
Small SSD HDD
Power supply to cover all 6 cards etc
Maybe risers for the card(s)

Thoughts?

1 Like

You can buy a low end Celeron CPU
You can buy all 6 GPUs at once
You don’t need 16GB of RAM, 4GB should be enough
You don’t need an SSD. Some old 250GB SATA drive will do.
You need at least 1000-1300Watt PSU
You DEFINATELY need risers.

@adaseb Hi! What GPUs would you recommend? Thank you!

RX 470/RX 480 are the most efficient these days. If you want to save some money, you can buy some second hand R9 280X/R9 290 which are very good GPUs just use double the power.

No idea how they will perform mining ZCASH however since not a single GPU miner is currently released.

1 Like

I agree with adaseb and the 470/480 cards are great particularly for home mining.

Just watch on motherboards you need to look at the chipset as well as the number of PCIe slots available. I’ve had major headaches in the past with Intel Z170 chipsets (which are quite popular and have a number of 6 and 7 PCIe slots) as typically you’ll struggle to get more than 4 GPUs running at once on these.

So just do your research on a motherboard before you buy it!

1 Like

I think your money would be better spent on dual and quad core cpus for zcash. I could be wrong.

1 Like

What do you make of the unfavourable RX 480 power consumption here though?

the RX480 Crimson 16.7.1+ drivers have a bug fix for consumption

Thanks - that’s helpful.

Just watch on motherboards you need to look at the chipset as well as the number of PCIe slots available. I’ve had major headaches in the past with Intel Z170 chipsets (which are quite popular and have a number of 6 and 7 PCIe slots) as typically you’ll struggle to get more than 4 GPUs running at once on these.

So just do your research on a motherboard before you buy it!

Hi!

What motherboard would be recommended?

Most of the most recommended ones are very hard to find but look for H81 and H97 chipsets if using Intel.

Bets idea is to find a suitable motherboard and do a quick Google for the motherboard name and mining and see if anyone has had any problems with it.

1 Like

That’s essentially my approach too

I just got a few RX 480’s for my rig. I have no idea what i’m doing though! I literally spent 2hrs yesterday just trying to turn the goddamn thing on. Trying to troubleshoot my monitor issues now. My plan is to try to mine Ethereum until there’s a GPU miner that’ll work on zcash

Hi, Asrock 970 extreme4 +( 2014) AMD sempron 2.8 gh 4 gb memory 1000w coolermaster + 2x r9 280x + 2x rx470 4 gb. Possible to mine together? 1 driver? or sell the R9 280x ? buy XFX RX 470 4g / Sapphire RX 470 ?