My cont thoughts on today's chat - Related to real world usability goals

My overall point was there needs to be a use case we can be selling and evangelize to grow the user base right now. I thought private messaging would be an easy win. If it’s not, what would be?

Here is a different way of asking the question. In the current stage, zcash is at what app on the market could it replace that your parents and/or kids might want to use. Or would use it with some soft encouragement.

1 Like

This is an interesting opinion to bring, as the ZCG has had the memo-field approach as an open RFP for the past few months:

Its now on hold because of market conditions - but I wonder if the plans are to re-evaluate the whole approach then? Would love to know if that is the case as we have already made plans on how to build an approach just with the memo field.

2 Likes

Emphasizing This Point.

Perhaps its time to rebrand Zcash to remove cash
How about Zgold?

Yes, and this also explains the phenomena why mousetraps and toilets have rarely been innovated upon. New technologies or designs are not certain to be adopted… social behavior is not the same as the physics of gravity or heat

For the Topic of Scalability. A technical step toward solution is known proof Recursion, but how it can be built into Zcash at the protocol layer is not.

Great thread here everyone, thanks for the contributions

1 Like

I’m very skeptical that people are willing to pay for private messaging…

But I like the idea of have a messaging system using the Zcash network, but not using the blockchain. It would make a lot of things easier. I’m thinking about how to deploy FROST in practice and the hardest part is how to make the participants communicate which each other.

IMO another big hurdle is actually buying Zcash. It should be somehow integrated with wallets, which I appreciate is a big effort that would involve cooperation from exchanges from multiple countries. Here in Brazil I basically have to buy BTC and convert to ZEC.

10 Likes

The problem is that mobile phones are walled gardens. You can’t do whatever you want when it comes to develop apps.

Manufacturers put their own restrictions and background processing capping is one of them.

You can only have a quota of background processing and you get what the operating system provides, it could be zero, 10 seconds, minute or an hour. You don’t know when you are going to get the quota if any.

Also there are not reliable tools to test these bg tasks and it comes to wallet applications to request the background processing time.

4 Likes

FYI, this web site tracks how well/poorly manufacturers let apps run in the background.

4 Likes

Yes! buying/accessing/swapping to ZEC within wallets, and using it right away for sending money/messages, without any oppression is what we are aiming for in Nighthawk Wallet.

@secparam @earthrise The updated DAGSync mechanism needs to be evaluated on the efficiency and speed of message retrieval, but we could totally start with async messaging, something like the old-school BitMessage.

3 Likes