Newbie - mining experiments

I’m not misunderstanding anything. His chances are 0%. That’s a mathematical fact contrary to what you are saying. 0.00000000000001 (it’s actually less than this) is 0% mathematically. You can argue if you’d like, but you would be arguing for the sake of arguing. In any real world application there are only so many decimal points that are used before it’s rounded up or down. This is a fact. I suppose if it makes you feel better, you could say “Oh hey, your chances are 0.00000000000000001% to find a block before anyone else does at your current solution rate of 1”. But you’d look and sound rather silly :roll_eyes:

His chances of mining a block are literally 0% in this case. The chances of it happening are so extremely low, it’s nearly impossible. He probably has a better chance at winning the lottery at this point. Once again, there’s no need to instill expectations for something that has 0% chance of happening.

There are a lot of new people incoming that install and run a node and have the unrealistic expectation that they’re going to be rolling in ZEC within a day or two. You’re welcome to offer them a glimmer of hope, I however will not.

Time very much does indeed factor into this whole process. There’s a reason it’s a “Solutions per second”. We’ll have to agree to disagree here.

for the current net hash of 400e6sol/s his 1sol/s P=0.0000000025, or 2.5ez-9. Much greater than your pulled-out-of-your-bum figure of 0.00000000000000001% or P=1e-19.

Are you afraid of calculators?

Sorry, I am testing. I would like to know how it works, and I studied a lot to understand. I am european, the cryptocurrencies are an american fact. For us it is not usefull to create so mutch cryptocurrencies when there is one of them that it is working fine. Over this meaning, there is the fact that this new currency is very difficult to manage and not profiteable to mine. So, why it born? Ok the differences, between Zec and other, are the high cryptic sense of this currency: and it is the reason that I landed here. But I suppouse that most of the currencies are unusefull and they will end their life soon. I only would test the all job until to buy something to increase my Sol/s. Or to GET money throught the ZEC payment mechanism (If this want to be a real coin, It should let people use it as money). I know what are the phylosofic differences by 0 and 0.00000000000001. And I thank you all for your friendly time spent for me. The really question is: when I see my credits increase? Aftern mining a block? And: If I whould have a really 400 Sol/s machine, when and how I will see the increasing credits? Will my Java official Wallet send an advice? Will the Java official wallet sign this increase with its counter? When and how I will see a 0.0000001 Zec? I am sorry for my English and I thank you all from Europe.

Not at all. Are you afraid of reality? You’ll also note in this thread, the Sol/s is 1. Not 6 as in another thread. Even worse odds.

You won’t see any ZEC in your wallet unless you find a block. The wallet you downloaded is a node and not a pool. So there will be no accumulation. I strongly suggest you take a look at the commands available and what they do. You can do this by typing the following into your command line:

zcash-cli help

You may also want to take a look at this: Home · zcash/zcash Wiki · GitHub

You’re derailing the thread with a trivial discussion about something irrelevant to the matter. The OP’s chances are nearly 0. Let it go.

I’m curious about running a ZCash node. If someone has a link to setting it up, post it for me pls. Is there a Windows version of the software or is Linux required? If so, can that be run under Ubuntu? Possibly Mint?

1 Like

Here you go:

http://zcash4win.com/ is a Windows wallet. The developer is a regular here.

It’s actually pretty easy to get going on either platform. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not newbie in Linux. Infact I installed successfully the daemon and the wallet GUI at the first attempt. And I suggest to you all to use Linux. Linux Mint is my preferred distribution as it is similar to windows in the graphics. Everything is perfect with this distro. I never had problems. I noticed that in the ZcashSwingWalletUI I can see the amount of credits that are 0. So thanks now I learned that to see something I need to be pretty lucky to get a block. But I can get a block only if the power of my mining station is strong enough (approx. 400 Sol/s). But please Nekkidtruth please what des it mean: “You have validated 3939 transactions” and “You have completed 1609 Equihash solver runs”?. If my solution rate is 0 so I should have all 0. How many transactions I have to validate to see some incoming? How transactions is “a block”? My CPU became very hot yesterday and I suppoused that to leave the node open for a few days, validating transactions by transactions, some incoming I should have seen … why not? Thanks.

You have validated the transactions others have made and submitted to be mined into a block.

Your “1609 Equihash solver runs” are attempts to mine a block by yourself. Until you successfully mine one accepted by the network, you will not receive the block reward.

As stated above, it’s very unlikely to happen.

Is running the Zcash4Windows wallet the same as running a Node? I don’t think it is…I have nine mining PCs, but I don’t think those are “nodes”.

It is indeed a full node.

1 Like

Of course, the wallet is a separate entity, but it’s functionality is derived from your connection to the chain via your node. It won’t load without an instance of zcashd running.

…and you’re correct. Mining Zcash using EWBF, Claymore, et al does not constitute running a node, as those machines do not have their own local copy of the ledger that is available for comparison on the network.

2 Likes

To put it simply… you are competing with t1fJuHWrfcWnYMYyP9VAF96vRnvND2NziMG this guy… you can calculate the odds of finding a block before him… and even this guy is on a pool not mining solo… :wink:

Try the testnet if you want to mine something solo with your CPU and see the message (if I recall it just says you’ve found a block or something like that). I’m not sure what the testnet difficulty is right now but it shouldn’t be too bad.

Add testnet=1 and addnode=testnet.z.cash to your ~/.zcash/zcash.conf file.

1 Like

You could also run a miner and join a pool eg flypool etc to get a feel for hash rates etc
I’m like you and playing around
started with a full eth node (devnet at first then the main one but no chance of hitting anything) and am currently looking at zec from flypool, and getting 0.000x a day from my oldish gpu, but its a good learning experience

Update - I might have a play with that full zcash4win full node
How much disk space does it need for the ‘ledger’ ?
update2 - indicates it needs 10GB or so

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing wrong with testing and learning. That’s how a lot of us start. The problem is people come here under the guise of testing and learning but what they really want is for someone to give them specific instructions on how to set up a rig that will make them thousands of dollars a day :wink:

How does one run ZCash4Win in “Full Node” mode? I’m thinking I need to run in “Full Nerd” mode to do it, so that is going, but I don’t know how to do Full Node with the wallet. Tx for any help!

It does it on it’s own. You don’t have to do anything to it. The wallet connects to the node that’s run in the background by the program itself. When you run the wallet, it runs the node. So if you want a node connected all the time, just leave the wallet running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Easy! TY :slight_smile: I’d think that by extension, then, that if I ran wallets on all of my miners that I’d create nine more new nodes. Is this correct?

Yes. However, keep in mind that if your Internet connection goes down for example, that would be 10 nodes wiped out until it returns. So while it seems like you’re doing a good thing, it’s actually the opposite.