Confused how (if ever) I earn Zcash mining

What’s the point of validating transactions and doing Equihash solver runs if it never results in a Zcash balance? I think I’m just dumb with understanding how all this works lol

Thank you for running a Zcash node!
You're helping to strengthen the network and contributing to a social good :)

You are running 4 mining threads.

Since starting this node 1 days, 0 hours, 13 minutes, 41 seconds ago:
- You have validated 179970 transactions!
- You have contributed 5.4938 Sol/s on average to the network solution rate.
- You have completed 255295 Equihash solver runs.

Then:

# ./zcash/src/zcash-cli getinfo
{
    "version" : 1000050,
    "protocolversion" : 170002,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 2168,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 45,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 47226.60993555,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1477679027,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "relayfee" : 0.00005000,
    "errors" : ""
}

because you’re solo mining!
never going to make money that way, you need to join a pool with a stratum miner…

I second barry. You are competing against pools and miners with over 10,000 sol/s compared to your 5

Hey guys, brand new here this is the exact question I have. I’ve been working on setting up a CPU just to test mining out before I drop money on a GPU, but I wanted to confirm I could actually set a computer up to mine first. I am to this point in my quest to figure out how to mine zcash: Running zcash node and have a wallet set up.

My Terminal says this :

"Thank you for running a Zcash node!
You’re helping to strengthen the network and contributing to a social good :

You are running 4 mining threads…"

I have a few stupid questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1. Does this mean I am mining? (i understand this isn’t an efficient way to mine (solo on a CPU) but want to confirm I have this down).
    2… Will these Equihash solver runs ever turn into zcash in my wallet ?
    a. How would I direct these solutions into my wallet if the above = True ?

No love ? Did i post this question in the wrong place ?

GPU mining and mining through the Zcash client are two completely different things. While the end result is the same, they’re not the same thing.

If you really want to learn about mining, you do that using actual mining software. Unfortunately, Zcash is long past the point where CPU mining is profitable at all. For example, an average CPU will do 10 to 20 Sol/s (Solutions per second). And average GPU will do 200 to 300 Sol/s. A good GPU will do 400 to 600 Sol/s. To put that all into perspective, the current network hashrate is over 300 million Sol/s. I strongly suggest you dig deeper and do more research into mining any cryptocurrency, not just Zcash.

Also for the record, you should have started your own thread :wink: You asked your question in a thread posted a year ago. Which may also be one of the reasons you might think CPU mining Zcash is still feasible.

1 Like

First off thanks for responding. Second, I’m not concerned with it being profitable at this point, I’m just trying to learn how to mine. Third, most forums like you to keep questions pertaining to the same thing on one thread which is why i posted my question here. I didn’t know that on this forum you start a new thread for every question. Thanks for the info though.

You’re welcome (20 char) :slight_smile: